I Want To Be A Modeller

Status
Not open for further replies.

jurgenp1

Jr Member
I am trying to moddel my own weapons and armor. But i am the biggest noob in it so if somoene coold tell me what programm I should use and how to start moddeling that would be realy awesome.

+1 for blender. it's not quite as easy to learn as sketchup, but blender is in a league of itself. it will grow with your needs, where as sketchup stays a n00b program and will seriously limit you once you get better. blender is the program to use if you're serious about this.

about starting to model: 3d modelling has a big learning curve, the biggest thing to learn is what each tool does and how you can achieve what. there are some good tutorials out there, but some are made by outright novices who should not be teaching.

start with the blender noob to pro wikibook, which is rather good, and then practice by making simple objects. don't go for weapons or armour straight away. and then practice and practice and patience.

Thanks a lot guys i didn't know there were tutorials on youtube. But maybe I will start with sketchup first and then move on to blender.

I second blender 3d. I started using it in the late 90's. The functionality of it has increased ten fold since then. There are hundreds of free tutorials ready and willing to teach you how to use it to its full potential.

Commercially i use Strata 3D. Its nice if you're familiar with the adobe programs as it integrates rather well with them.

Look up gmax. It's a free version of 3ds Max that can be found on turbosquid. It's 100% legal, and good for people wanting to learn how to model. Then I suggest you find some tutorials. I recommend the Beretta 9000 tutorial (look it up).

gmax is old, outdated and not supported any more. it's more difficult to learn than blender, less stable, not supported on XP or Vista or 7.

again, I'm obviously kind of biased to blender, but it's unrealistic that you'll start with sketchup and then switch. you'd be learning how to use sketchup and then you'd have to completely rethink for blender. it's the small differences that will kill you. choose one, stick to it.

or more general: have a plan and stick to it. really important, because it's not going to be easy, no matter which you choose. but it can be done (look at most people in this thread. i taught myself 3d modelling for a indie film and loved it ever since).

jurgenp1 said:
Yes, I will stick to blender and learn with super3 boys tutorials they are great.

erg sorry but superboy? your better of using the blender forum.

Last edited by a moderator:
Super3 boy has video tutorials, so far they have been verry help full. An I dont really know if the blender forum hast video tuts

jurgenp1 said:
Super3 boy has video tutorials, so far they have been verry help full. An I dont really know if the blender forum hast video tuts

maybe your intrested in these more advanced classes^^

http://www.cgcookie.com/articles/blender

superboy just LITERALY reads from his basic blender book you can purchase. kinda rippoff.

Woah, dudes voice broke ^^. Yeah, like I said, some people are (were?) still beginners themselves, and their tutorials turn out a mess. The beginner tutorials of super3boy (where he's still a real kid with the high voice) are useless, but some of the newer stuff kinda goes deep, except he doesn't explain most deep stuff enough, probably doesn't know himself. Also that "Render App" he wrote is totally misnamed (it does nothing to speed up the render time as promised by the title.) and useless because all it does is render different files sequentially. What he doesn't seem to realize is that most professional scenes take ages to render, and not too many people use blender internal (not sure how good it works with nodes).

Anyway, went off topic to say: this guy is an attention seeker. But you might be able to learn something from his videos nonetheless.

The good and semi-official stuff is at BlenderArtists, news at BlenderNation, and download the free BlenderArt magazine for some advanced stuff and insight.

TF_Productions said:
Woah, dudes voice broke ^^. Yeah, like I said, some people are (were?) still beginners themselves, and their tutorials turn out a mess. The beginner tutorials of super3boy (where he's still a real kid with the high voice) are useless, but some of the newer stuff kinda goes deep, except he doesn't explain most deep stuff enough, probably doesn't know himself. Also that "Render App" he wrote is totally misnamed (it does nothing to speed up the render time as promised by the title.) and useless because all it does is render different files sequentially. What he doesn't seem to realize is that most professional scenes take ages to render, and not too many people use blender internal (not sure how good it works with nodes).

Anyway, went off topic to say: this guy is an attention seeker. But you might be able to learn something from his videos nonetheless.

The good and semi-official stuff is at BlenderArtists, news at BlenderNation, and download the free BlenderArt magazine for some advanced stuff and insight.

goes deep?? wy give him so mutch credit. Hese a thief! he just sais whats in the beginner instruction manual for blender. Wich they sell to have some sort of incoming since blender is open source and free...

Also is that he forgets to say important stuff that he left out. if you wanto begin with blender buy the manual and then go to the advanced sites.

have you ever seen real models of his?? he just sais the basic thing. That kid has no modeling skills what so ever sorry to say this but its true.

rundown said:
goes deep?? wy give him so mutch credit. Hese a thief! he just sais whats in the beginner instruction manual for blender. Wich they sell to have some sort of incoming since blender is open source and free...

Also is that he forgets to say important stuff that he left out. if you wanto begin with blender buy the manual and then go to the advanced sites.

have you ever seen real models of his?? he just sais the basic thing. That kid has no modeling skills what so ever sorry to say this but its true.

Weren't you the one who first recommended me to to Super3boy? :pThat link is pretty dang helpful. Thanks Rundown ;)

Darkslitter said:
Weren't you the one who first recommended me to to Super3boy? :pThat link is pretty dang helpful. Thanks Rundown ;)

that was before i knew he was a thief! lmao i whent to a mate with this book he bought in the blender store and superboy just reads literaly of it!

Blender should get credit and thier money!

quite frankly, I don't care about the guy, I just know he has youtube videos where beginners can get a feel for blender (he's not making any money from me for the youtube stuff), and that he seems to be an attention seeking person with not much talent. I agree with blender getting credit, but he actually made the videos.

probably the best way to fight him is to provide links to better tutorials (like blenderartists) or go out there and make better video tutorials than him. how hard can it be?

anyway, this is not about some teenager, but about helping a guy into modelling.

@jurgenp1: good luck by the way! how are you finding blender?

@ rundown: I did not even know how blender worked, so now I know wich button is what because of super 3 boys tut but i am going to do more advanced stuff no that ive found my way around blender.

@ TF_productions: I like blender but i still have to learn many things

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back