I Want To Build An Assault Rifle, But I Have A Quick Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

mustang2500

Hey guys. I want to build my own Assault Rifle replica, just for fun. I planned it all out, and my first design was made to shoot BB's. But, it failed. Now, my new design is made to shoot out - not BB's - but empty cartridges made from CPVC. If you don't already know, the ejection port on the gun is on the right side of the butt, which you can see in this picture of someone else's replica.
CIMG1942.jpg

So, I planned out there would be a motor spinning with a something on it would spin around and hit the cartridge, shooting it out of the gun.
diagram-2.jpg

The problem with this is it might be hard to do, and I don't know how I could make it, let alone work.

So, do you have any ideas of how else I could do it? Keep in mind it can't be bigger than the gun. I really want to make it work, because I think it will be a very cool addition to the gun. What do you think I should go with?

Obviously have the motor connected to the trigger, and make a magazine like a real magazine, with the spring and all that. You have a good Idea so far on how to do it though.

RadioactiV777 said:
Obviously have the motor connected to the trigger, and make a magazine like a real magazine, with the spring and all that. You have a good Idea so far on how to do it though.

That's exactly what I want to do. I'm pretty sure I can make it work.

Last edited by a moderator:
spiz430 said:
pic you have on your post of an AR looks sweet, are you going to have pics of yours anytime soon?

To be honest, I haven't even started...But I just wanted to be sure what I'm gonna do before I start, see... Anyways the fron will still be similar to that, I want to cover the whole gun with sheet metal, should be cool!

make sure the cartridges are spring loaded so that there will be a constant feed....but the rate of the motors spin will greatly affect the process and in turn the spring rate will as well....but too stiff a spring rate and to fast a spin will cause a jam and then somethin has to give. you also have to have a door like maybe the plate you have spinning out the cartridges that will keep them in place while not in firing mode.

partially off topic, but I was thinking about how a nerf assault rifle would work earlier and this thread gave me an idea:
custom nerf shells.
Load darts in the shells, and then shells in a cartridge. When a dart is fired, the shell is ejected and the next goes into place.
Just a thought.
In the meantime, I would like to contribute to your specific design.
That motor design up there is interesting, but keeping in mind the limited space in the top of the AR, as well as the speed it'd have to go and such, I'm not sure it would work.
Instead of one constantly spinning, you could have a spring loaded panel that goes sideways across the inside, and a motor that, like yours is spinning, but is connected to the panel so that it pulls it back, but the spring pushes it forward.
This solution, admittedly, also seems space intensive, however maybe if the panel was on a diagonal...
idk.
Sorry for the super-long confusing post, I'll MS paint something to help simplify.

Ya, I see what you mean. Gaa! So many problems... On one side, it seems so much easier to do nothing on it, but then having something would be cool and make it functional...

alright, just to clarify my idea here's an ms paint sketch:
myidea.jpg

sorry if it's hard to read, but anyways I think you can see what I mean.

mustang2500 said:
:lol: I had to laugh... Maybe a V 2.0 would help? ;)
of my sketch?
I'll try a less sloppy, maybe multi-angle version later.
Using the text tool instead of writing it.
If it'll help.

get a tablet lol helps alot sometimes but i use my bros, and i doubt you would buy one to show someone else a sketch..

Yeah... But I think I see what you mean, I just can't really visualize the motor and wheel part, I'd appreciate it, any suggestions are good.

EDIT: Well, cartridges or not, I'm gonna start on the front tomorrow. I'll try to get pictures if I get that far, but I'll have all of the lights, and - a FLASHLIGHT! :p

Not a bad idea. Just remember, the cartridges need to be picked up. You don't want to be "shooting" it in a parade and leaving trash on the street. Most places frown on littering.

alright, some one said they were having trouble visualising certain parts, so I seperated the design into 2 parts, adding descriptions, as well as labels you can ACTUALLY READ!
Hope this helps you out:
clarification.jpg

For the area where the shells fly out, just don't put anything there, make it slightly wider than the shells so they can cly easier too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back