I Want To Build An Assault Rifle, But I Have A Quick Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a really cool idea. I think that you may run into packaging issues in the receiver of the AR. It's going to be pretty narrow inside there. If you use the 7.62x51mm case that the AR supposedly uses, then your mechanism will need to be really compact yet sturdy. I may be missing something, so more detailed drawings may help. I have an idea that may work. Basically it's a bolt carrier that sits above the trigger area. A motor drives the bolt carrier back to where it rides over the shell casings that sit in the magazine. The carrier strips off the top casing and drives it forward. As the shell and carrier move forward the shell rides along a ramp that pushes the nose of the casing outwards towards the ejection port. The bolt carrier has a slot cut in it for the ramp to ride in. The bolt carrier, having ejected the shell, then returns to its forward resting position, ready to eject the next shell. I'll try to produce some drawings to better explain this. Hope this is constructive.

randomman said:
alright, some one said they were having trouble visualising certain parts, so I seperated the design into 2 parts, adding descriptions, as well as labels you can ACTUALLY READ!
Hope this helps you out:
clarification.jpg

Mount the motor in the center with a 2-4 inch shaft that houses the ejector. The ejector should have at least three paddles, which will effectively control the casings fed through the magazine. To eject the brass realistically, you'll have to have the motor running fast, which also means you'll need a big magazine to make it look like you really have something like sixty rounds in the weapon. Or just fire in short bursts. The problem is that the replica casings will not have the same flight path at the real thing. Real casings tumble as they are ejected. To do that, though, will make the replica more complicated. Anyways, PM me if you would like drawings to reference to. No charge. Best of luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back