Increasing Clarity on PETG Plastics

Karth

Hi all,

I purchased a PETG visor from 850 Armor Works but am a little disappointed with the clarity. Does anyone have some at home methods for improving the clarity? I've tried flame and regular polishing to no real success.

Thanks!

I purchased a PETG visor from 850 Armor Works but am a little disappointed with the clarity.
They did vacuform it, right? Its not PETG 3d printed with all the associated layer lines is it?

Photos of the current state of it would help a lot.

You paid hard-earned money for it - what did the maker of it say when you told them it was underwhelming? To be fair to them maybe they just put the wrong/bad pull in the box and left your good one sitting on a bench. We're all human and make mistakes and like it when people give us the benefit of the doubt. Probably should offer them the same.
I've tried flame and regular polishing to no real success.
Sounds like you have some experience with these sorts of things. Maybe an issue with the variable thickness? I hate to say "Sand it from 240-8000 grit then polishing compound & wheel", but could be the case. Photos would help.

Oh sorry, I meant to attach the pics but forgot. Here is the current state:
visor.jpg

And from the inside:
20230904_211035.jpg

You raise a good point, I think I'll contact them about it. It is advertised as having "good optical clarity" which, while I can certainly see out odf it, this isn't what I'd consider "good". Those books are only 2 feet away and I can't read the spines.

While I have some experience from past cosplays, clear plastics are pretty new for me. I'm mostly operating off of what I've found online.

I can't say I'm impressed with it. By comparison this is 5mm thick printed resin after only getting as far as the 800grit that I had on hand, and not yet even clear coated. I'm not saying this is better... Just saying that for mid-way through a process you can see where this would go with more work. (Grits up to 6000 arrive this week).

Point being, you bought something that was supposed to be ready, not ready to be worked on.

Clear coat does wonderers for clear resins by filling in the micro scratches and normalizing the finish. Maybe give it a try on both sides in a small controlled area like near the back beyond the peripheral vision. Worst case you were going to have to sand and polish anyway.
1693878583283.png

Also for comparison, this is the visor I got through Nerdforge for the helmet files they produce.

IMG_1586.JPG

IMG_1584.JPG

This thread is more than 7 months old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back