Interest Thread: Building More Event Displays

PerniciousDuke

RCO & BCO
405th Regiment Officer
Member DIN
S128
Hey Pacific peoples,

Washington folks should be aware that we've ingratiated ourselves with the organizers of SummerCon who have really put together a fun Comic Convention. I just learned that they are now creating a new event that is a Gaming Expo (like a mini PAX). This first year they want to really push Halo as a main component and have already lined up three Halo celebs!

So, the interest thread is to see if any of you want to work together (or separately) to increase our foot print at this event with more stuff!!!

Canadian regiment recently did something similar in this thread:

I still will be bringing our Pacific Recruitment Booth. But, I wanted to know if any of you all had ideas or plans on other things we could fabricate or bring. I've seen a lot of cool stuff from other regiments. European often brings camo nets and sets up like a trench outpost. Delta battalion has a Nerf Shoot the Brute game. HOD Anaheim had a MG + ODST chests that people could take photos with. Montreal has a life size 3d print of our main man MC.

I could bring my halo edition xbox series x and a monitor that people could play halo on, i'm also down to help if we want things made or if anything needs to be funded. my brain isn't working well enough right now to come up with ideas.

I could bring my halo edition xbox series x and a monitor that people could play halo on, i'm also down to help if we want things made or if anything needs to be funded. my brain isn't working well enough right now to come up with ideas.
I like this. It is a gaming expo, so there will be lots of other gaming stations, but having ours offline and set up only during specific times for a "Challenge a real Spartan in 1v1" kind of thing. That could be cool.

Keep thinking though. I was picturing more like we build a physical photo op. We've got time. Event is March 29, 2024

We haven't talked about it in a bit, but we had the "build display" idea to show off the different build methods we employ for things on the 405th side. As far as gaming goes, I'd love to see some of the table top stuff, but I'm not sure Halo: Ground Command or Halo: Fleet Battles is still being supported.

We haven't talked about it in a bit, but we had the "build display" idea to show off the different build methods we employ for things on the 405th side. As far as gaming goes, I'd love to see some of the table top stuff, but I'm not sure Halo: Ground Command or Halo: Fleet Battles is still being supported.

Yeah, that is an option, but definitely not as large as I was leaning towards. I'd also want to focus on the cosplay aspect. I'm definitely leaning towards back drop kind of stuff. Like building a statue, building an MG, building a set, etc. If it is just my idea I feel like I will get stuck making it. So I was hoping we could come up with something as a group and build it together, like we did with the booth. I did all the planning and fundraising and then we had half a dozen guys come over and construct it.

im totally down for helping make and pay for whatever is needed, pretty much if we got a plan going im down to help but a bit brain dead at the moment, ive got some helmets that are too small and could bring for kids to wear, same with prop weapons

I like this. It is a gaming expo, so there will be lots of other gaming stations, but having ours offline and set up only during specific times for a "Challenge a real Spartan in 1v1" kind of thing. That could be cool.

Keep thinking though. I was picturing more like we build a physical photo op. We've got time. Event is March 29, 2024
do we know how much room we're given?

Prompted by a discussion on discord, just so y'all don't think this is coming out of left field.
20230918_214943.jpg

So this is a very rough sketch for a 405th stage prop of the H2A Pelican. Some notes. This build is not square, it 'blooms' outward towards the ramp for forced perspective to make the entire build look deeper than it is. Also, not shown is a support structure that will extend toward the back and be weighed down in order to provide stability. A printed screen would also be used to show the rest of the Pelican and to hide my sins the rest of the build. This would be a LARGE project, and would involve a large storage requirement as well.

Other things not in the drawing, two fold down 'jump seats', a mounted machine gun (of 'Oh I know what the ladies like' fame), lights/speakers/other electronics, and quick build foam marine torsos that people can put on for the photo. All told, we're looking at a stage prop that will be AT LEAST over 6ft cubed not counting the screen.

Last edited:
Prompted by a discussion on discord, just so y'all don't think this is coming out of left field.
View attachment 336193
So this is a very rough sketch for a 405th stage prop of the H2A Pelican. Some notes. This build is not square, it 'blooms' outward towards the ramp for forced perspective to make the entire build look deeper than it is. Also, not shown is a support structure that will extend toward the back and be weighed down in order to provide stability. A printed screen would also be used to show the rest of the Pelican and to hide my sins the rest of the build. This would be a LARGE project, and would involve a large storage requirement as well.

Other things not in the drawing, two fold down 'jump seats', a mounted machine gun (of 'Oh I know what the ladies like' fame), lights/speakers/other electronics, and quick build foam marine torsos that people can put on for the photo. All told, we're looking at a stage prop that will be a little over 6ft cubed not counting the screen.
for the sound effects: Some general like, muffled radio chatter, maybe the occasional ship spin up/spin down noise would be cool. I love the idea of the forced perspective as well!

View attachment 336193

Other things not in the drawing, two fold down 'jump seats', a mounted machine gun (of 'Oh I know what the ladies like' fame), lights/speakers/other electronics, and quick build foam marine torsos that people can put on for the photo. All told, we're looking at a stage prop that will be AT LEAST over 6ft cubed not counting the screen.
EVA foam floor matting is the best idea i have at the moment

foam floor matting is a good idea. Cheap to replace, light, and we have a bunch of people that know how to work with it. Sounds could also include dialogue from the game and music, though I gotta say I love the idea of ambient pelican noises.

foam floor matting is a good idea. Cheap to replace, light, and we have a bunch of people that know how to work with it. Sounds could also include dialogue from the game and music, though I gotta say I love the idea of ambient pelican noises.
I can root around youtube and the game to find some of the pelican sounds? It would be nice to have the pelican sounds with the occasional halo sound track fading in softly every now and then

Dropping some images here:

This is what sparked my interest in building a 3d photo op:
20230624_142129.jpg

I am really into the ideas you all suggested on Discord. Something like the rear end of a pelican, or an armory or a bridge console.

Here is an image of the Pelican from HOD:
Pelican_Group_5_PC-Jesse_Arnold.jpg

Here are a couple pictures that PapaHawk shared:
99b0090a-0052-4dd1-ba22-5cd222b356e8.jpgIMG_6299.jpg

Alright, so I really liked the screenshot that PapaHawk shared early, which is the base switch in Halo 3's Stand Off.
  1. I thought it was very "Halo" interior with the design.
  2. I liked that it has both light gray and dark grey in large sections for costume contrast.
  3. I love the splashes of color like the caution bars.
  4. I love the draw in factor of the large computer screens.
  5. And this is a big one, I believe I can recreate it very close in look, and be structurally large and secured.
  6. Bonus is that the opposite side can be used for storage or changing area, or eventual secondary backdrop.
I did a quick mock up of the piece and showed how it may lay out in a 10x30 space with our current other pieces and goal of making an MG.I'd like everyone's input on this. Should we move forward and pencil this out or keep brainstorming other ideas? I'm loving all your other ideas, but I just haven't seen anything that screams "I can make that!" I also looked around at the FOBs in Infinite and they are kind of boring, mostly just crates which we can really do anywhere.

20230919_190213.jpg20230919_190203.jpg

Anyways, emote votes!
Thumbs Up for Like = keep penciling this out
Sad Face = shut it down, think of something else

I penciled it out and building this wall plus MG and two quick costumes is going to be over $1000, and that doesn't include the parts I'm hoping members will be able to construct themselves. Just the stuff we'll have to buy. I'm mentally ready to pull the trigger and build this thing, but that is too much money for me right now. If you all like this idea then I am ready to fundraise from the Regiment to make this happen.

I penciled it out and building this wall plus MG and two quick costumes is going to be over $1000, and that doesn't include the parts I'm hoping members will be able to construct themselves. Just the stuff we'll have to buy. I'm mentally ready to pull the trigger and build this thing, but that is too much money for me right now. If you all like this idea then I am ready to fundraise from the Regiment to make this happen.
I’m down to help, how would the fundraising process go?

For my first booth I just came up with a graphic and $ goals for different aspects of the booth and posted it everywhere I could think of to see if people would donate.

Now I'm not part of the pacific reg but I do think this is a really cool idea! Would love to see it become a reality!

This thread is more than 6 months old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back