Interesting Question Re: Fibreglassing

Status
Not open for further replies.

DreamHazard

Just out of interest, has anyone tried using scrim/plasterboard tape for glassing details? It's used in the building trade to plaster over gaps in plasterboard, but it's made from woven glass fibre, and it's self adhesive, so it'd be useful for the tricky little bits, such as inside the peak of a helmet or suchlike. I bought some today to see how it goes, I think it may also be used to help keep the structure of a piece intact from the inside, making it possible to use standard printer paper for pep models. I bought some fibreglass mat too, but I think this may be a good solution for the more tricky parts of a piece, and it works out a little cheaper from the place I bought it from.

[attachment=13017:101_0224.JPG]

Just thought I'd share this one with you, someone may find it useful. This is the method I'll be using when I glass my helmet, I'll put up some pics of the WIP when I actually start it, a custom hybrid bucket, EOD top half, modified Hayabusa bottom half... Should be interesting, to say the least.

There is a big difference between the adhesive tape and the cloth with resin.

Fiberglass is saturated by fiberglass resin and that equals to a hard plastic basically.

There have been many topics about this stuff and the answer is basically no.

True, there's a big difference. That difference is that the tape has less strands than the mat or cloth. The tape will work just as well as long as you use a lot of layers, and criss cross each layer, so that the strands don't line up (You want as little open space as possible).

I personally find that mat is easier to use, since you only have to do one or two layers and you're done.

Achille said:
True, there's a big difference. That difference is that the tape has less strands than the mat or cloth. The tape will work just as well as long as you use a lot of layers, and criss cross each layer, so that the strands don't line up (You want as little open space as possible).

I personally find that mat is easier to use, since you only have to do one or two layers and you're done.

I personally think that your easier to use, you tool! Mat is much easier by far. I havent tried the tape yet though, but I would like to look into it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I'm going to attempt it anyway, just to see how it goes, I bought the stuff, so I may as well try it, if it doesn't work, it doesn't, but if it does, then it's a good thing.

Achille, do you mean to layer the tape then resin it, or put on a layer of tape and resin it and repeat?

I'll try it with that method then, because it seems to me that it would be weaker unless you have a method for ensuring the resin completely soaks through the scrim layers

How does it hold up using your method? Is it as strong as using mat?

DreamHazard said:
I'll try it with that method then, because it seems to me that it would be weaker unless you have a method for ensuring the resin completely soaks through the scrim layers

How does it hold up using your method? Is it as strong as using mat?

Just use the good' ol fiberglass cloth/mat. It is fullproof. Besides its not like fiberglassing is like doing a workout. It is simple.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back