It's the Future. LazerTag-integrated Armor?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, I know I'm necroing.. but I just saw this thread and I'm barely halfway into a 12 hour shift...

NERF darts at hotels = trouble. Most hotels don't like ANY projectiles; NERF darts, airsoft, etc. So if you wanted to do something for a con it would have to be laser tag, or specially set up months in advance with the hotel and con staff. I have thought of something like this for StarFest in Denver as a type of charity event... Red team vs. Blue team, "bet" on your favorite team to win... meaning buy a ticket (and make a donation at the same time) and if your team wins you get a prize. This would still need space and a field setup, but easier to do from a liability stand point.

Okay, back to the grave for this thread.

Sorry.. continuing the necro (but hey.. it's my thread.. >.> )

I say plan on a big "matchmaking" Lazertag battle at next 2012's PAX. PAX has always been a huge gathering of 405th costumers. If a few people invested a few dollars, this would be entirely possible for those who attend the convention.

What you need to do is get some EVA foam and some PVC. I just built a great looking foam gravity hammer in only 3 days, and I have knocked over virtually everything in my room and my workshop playing with the thing. Its just so awesome looking!

Video!
PewPew
Not the best video, and sadly the Chief isn't playing.
But those are the guns that we use. The sensors (that are wrapped around the butts) would normally go on head gear via velcro (also one on the front of the gun) and away you go. BOOM! Headshots. Beams have a decent spread on them so a little off target you should still hit -terrain providing.
Thus the idea of vests and things seems so foreign. I've never been to a Lasertag place with vests. Just my own, and we play all outdoors.
I would totally run around in armour if we didn't live in the tropics. I'd die! Of course I'd need to finish a set of armour properly first.
If we owned our own land and could build up the space, i'd totally rock the whole idea!

We've got a huge Milsims style event, a 3-day Tag event called Laser Storm. Next year will be it's 14th year. Got a good chunk of friends who have been going down for the last few years. They mostly use fragtag stuff though, as you can custom build your own shiz if you're into that. Older friend of mine works with sheet metal and has made many a sweet piece for himself and his son.

There's a huge petition in Australia to make Airsoft legal - They have it in New Zealand!
Would be great if it went through, but I don't think I'd be able to capitalise on the idea before anyone else here. We all have dreams though, neh?

I played Laser Tag on Oct. 30th in my ODST gear for Halloween. The foam was extremely comfortable. Unfortunately, I did not finish the AR in time to field that but I just wore a sensor vest over my armor(we use Laser Challenge and Laser Tag gear, depending on the crowd).

PepperChip... that is EXACTLY what I'm talking about! 8D
now if only we could organize for something over here..

Battlefield Sports These guys are the ones who make the stuff in the video, and the guys we get our gear from.
The manufacturer is about half an hour's drive from where we live :D! Makes repairs somewhat easier - though they have told us out of all the Tag places in Australia, we end up with the most number of gun issues... Tropical weather, young kids through to rowdy teens and adults, things can get messy :p
Their new SATR system is so much better than what it was like before. Now you can set everything up with a "referee" gun rather than gun-by-gun manually, which was a right pain. I could go on, but i'll leave it at it makes life so much easier now!
Would love to get some of those pistols and P90's but Queensland gun laws won't allow us to play with anything that looks remotely like a real gun -_-;

On the plus side, if you used this system, you wouldn't necessarily need to add anything extra to your armour if you can find a headband that could go over your helmet (custom made headbands!). Or just a small patch of velcro front and back - could have it hidden under a flap or have a slightly recessed section with velcro, with a smaller part to stick on top when not doing Tag so it looks normal (that was probably not the best explanation).
Not sure how the vest ones work, so I can't comment on those, sorry guys.

Excuse the necro (hey, everyone's doing it), but I have an idea. It may be a bit lofty, but here it is. Most of the guns from Halo would be scattered around. Whenever you want a new gun, you unplug your gun from your suit sensor array and pick up the other gun. For explosives, there would be projectiles that upon impact send out infrared light in a restricted range. I don't think melee weapons would work though...

I'd be strictly a shooter, no "close combat" I think. Even though, I gotta say, pretending to do some assassinations would be hilarious.
But I think that's a great idea. Hide "ammo" and such around whatever location we use. We'd need someone with some tech know-how though to get those grenades to set off like you proposed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back