Joeycoz's Armor Progress

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good progress! I hope your shins and boots turn out as well as your forearms!

QUESTION: About using Foamies - You say you use Elmers school glue to glue them in place correct when you are using them to Bondo? Well how easy are they to remove after they they dried and you have applied Bondo.

This is the one issue I am having about my project. I wanted to make sure after gluing down the Foamies they would release.

Thanks and keep up the good work!

Last edited by a moderator:
JoeyCoz said:
Thanks for the nice comments, I'm glad you all like it. Any other opinions on the boot scaling?

From the side both of the parts look good to me. I had to remake my boots because they did not even come close to being proportionate with the shin lol. If it looks just as good from the back I would say run with it.

JediStumpy said:
...QUESTION: About using Foamies - You say you use Elmers school glue to glue them in place correct when you are using them to Bondo? Well how easy are they to remove after they they dried and you have applied Bondo. This is the one issue I am having about my project. I wanted to make sure after gluing down the Foamies they would release.Thanks and keep up the good work!

[/quote

I have used Elmers school glue and Arlene's Tacky Glue and the foam peels right off. Use thin coats of glue and some pressure to apply the foam. Sometimes the foam needs two coats to stick well (I think this is because the foam soaks it up). Just make sure that the foam is stuck good before you mix the bondo. I was detailing one piece and the foam came loose while applying bondo and made a mess. If you do have some glue residue left, don't worry, Arlene's and Elmer's are both water soluable, just use a wet rag or sponge to clean it off.

Also, I always removed the foam right after the initial sanding, and I imagine that the foam will be harder to remove the longer you leave it on.

If this works for you, post some before & after pics. It would be cool to see what others do with this technique.

Thanks. I've been using Foamies right now for my new helm to build up detail (not to bondo) but there are places where I want to use bondo. I will take some pics to show you (and everyone else)!

Thanks

OK (sorry for the double post)

I use the Foamies and Bondo methiod last night. Found that it works goods. The only issue for me was where I was setting up the Foamies. I think that is the real challenge. Setup is key but putting on the bondo is the easy part.

My steps:

1st) mask of the area with tape to protect the model

2nd) Cut foamies to fit and layer

3rd) I went with doubled sided tape instead of Elmer's glue because I didn't want to wait. Tape work great tough. Just stuck it on top of the masking tape. If you do use Elmers I would suggest putting down masking or painters tape first. Makes easy clean up and the glues seem to dry better to it than on fb resin.

4th) Placed foamies

5th) Bondo

6th) Sand. The Foamsies can take the sanding to my surprise.

7th) More Bondo and Sand

DSC02438.jpg

DSC02442.jpg

DSC02444.jpg

DSC02446.jpg

DSC02452.jpg

DSC02454.jpg

DSC02458.jpg

DSC02462.jpg

DSC02465.jpg

Looking good Jedi! Nice to see your take on JoeyCoz's foamies method. crap, wish I would of known about this when I did my helmet.

And JoeyCozy, everything is looking good. The Scale of the boot looks okay to me compared with the shin. As long as you keep them apart like that (leaving a little bit of space between the boot and shin), I really don't see anything wrong with the size. If it was me, I'd run with it.

I forgot to mention that all the Foamies covered in Paper are permanent. In stead of useing cb and resin, like how you did it Pooper, I didn't want to deal with resin again and the Foamsies are flexible and easy apply. I use Locite Super Glue (liquid) and dry super fast so you have to be careful.

lol that's the same super glue that I use! I'm glad the cardboard worked for ya too.

Okay... time to get back on topic here. :p

JediStumpy said:
OK (sorry for the double post)

I use the Foamies and Bondo methiod last night. Found that it works goods. The only issue for me was where I was setting up the Foamies. I think that is the real challenge. Setup is key but putting on the bondo is the easy part.

My steps:

1st) mask of the area with tape to protect the model

2nd) Cut foamies to fit and layer

3rd) I went with doubled sided tape instead of Elmer's glue because I didn't want to wait. Tape work great tough. Just stuck it on top of the masking tape. If you do use Elmers I would suggest putting down masking or painters tape first. Makes easy clean up and the glues seem to dry better to it than on fb resin.

4th) Placed foamies

5th) Bondo

6th) Sand. The Foamsies can take the sanding to my surprise.

7th) More Bondo and Sand

Nice adaptation Stumpy. I like the double sided tape & masking tape idea as well, I'll use it in my shins.

pooper said:
.....And JoeyCozy, everything is looking good. The Scale of the boot looks okay to me compared with the shin. As long as you keep them apart like that (leaving a little bit of space between the boot and shin), I really don't see anything wrong with the size. If it was me, I'd run with it.

Thanks Pooper, although I still can't fit my giant foot through the bottleneck at the bottom. I've got my second pair of shins glassed and I'm pretty sure I got a solution worked out. Look for it in my next update

Altair651 said:
WOWZAZ! What exacly is this foamies method, !cause me wanna try!

Hey Altair651, check Here and Here. Good luck

Shins are about 95% complete. I thought I was done, but when I took these pics I noticed a couple of small details I missed. Here's some pics.

BTW: Bondo is my bitch.

rshindetailed01.jpg

rshindetailed02.jpg

rshindetailed03.jpg

rshindetailed04.jpg

rshindetailed05.jpg

rshindetailed06.jpg

BOOM!! Bondo detail Explosion! Great work. Don't let Bondo beat you down! Take IT down a peg!! Right on!

Yah after I painted mine with a top coat on primer you get to see what you missed on need to fix a lot easier!

Keep up the good work!

Wow, the detail on these is immense!

You dont mind if i use the foam method on my detailing? It looks like a great way to detail.

One question about that though, you you take the foam off when the bondo is dry or drying?

sierra092 said:
Wow, the detail on these is immense!

You dont mind if i use the foam method on my detailing? It looks like a great way to detail.

One question about that though, you you take the foam off when the bondo is dry or drying?

I've seen alot of progress pics from others who coat an entire piece with bondo and then spend days trying to sand it smooth. I keep my sanding to a minimum by working one section at a time, sanding & shaping as soon as the bondo begins to set up. This saves you alot of work.

When it first sets, it has the consistancy of soft cheese. That's when I start shaping with a chisel tip X-acto knife.

xacto.jpg

Just use this for shaving off the high spots and general smoothing. Then use some 60 grit sand paper to continue shaping the area. When you sand the soft bondo it will kind of look fuzzy, and won't make any dust. When you are doing this initial sanding, sand over the foamies until you can see the edge of the foam. Then you can remove it.

Once removed you can use your chisel tip blade to chamfer the edges before the bondo fully cures.

When the area is fully cured, sand it again with 100 grit to remove the scratches you left with the 60 grit. It should be making dust at this point, if not, wait a few minutes or you'll quickly ruin your sandpaper and leave deep scratches in the surface. Follow up with 150 or 180 grit paper.

I know this was kind of a long winded answer, but I'm just trying to save you some work.

Happy bondoing!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back