Jorge-052 armor

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, any of you know where I can buy a few large blocks of foam? Preferably styrofoam, unless there's a stronger kind of foam.

So, any of you know where I can buy a few large blocks of foam? Preferably styrofoam, unless there's a stronger kind of foam.

Depending on how thick of foam you're looking for, I'd say that an expanded polystyrene or similar insulation foam from Home Depot or your choice of hardware store is your best bet. Just cut and stack sheets to the thickness that you require.

Depending on how thick of foam you're looking for, I'd say that an expanded polystyrene or similar insulation foam from Home Depot or your choice of hardware store is your best bet. Just cut and stack sheets to the thickness that you require.
Is it easy to cut with a pocket knife?

You definitely DON'T want to cut your foam pieces with a pocket knife! If you want to do foam work, invest in an x-acto knife and a utility knife along with some extra blades. The total cost of both knives with some extra blades will probably be <$20, and it's an investment that's well worth it.

I mean, it would be doable just not the most fun of things to do and not the greatest for your knife.

For sanity's sake I'd suggest making a quick hot wire cutting rig with any spare wire and a 9V battery that you have around the house. I've seen people go at insulation foam with kitchen knives which works but is messy and easy to screw up. One of these is just a matter of melting through.

I mean, it would be doable just not the most fun of things to do and not the greatest for your knife.

For sanity's sake I'd suggest making a quick hot wire cutting rig with any spare wire and a 9V battery that you have around the house. I've seen people go at insulation foam with kitchen knives which works but is messy and easy to screw up. One of these is just a matter of melting through.

I'd forgotten about hot wire cutters! Those are absolutely great for foam, and If you can build one it would help you out a ton!

I'd forgotten about hot wire cutters! Those are absolutely great for foam, and If you can build one it would help you out a ton!

Certain kinds of foam. I wouldn't use a hot wire cutter for EVA, it's just too dense and ends up being more effort than a sharp knife. A hot knife or soldering iron with blade attachment will be best of both worlds and cut through any foam like butter.

Certain kinds of foam. I wouldn't use a hot wire cutter for EVA, it's just too dense and ends up being more effort than a sharp knife. A hot knife or soldering iron with blade attachment will be best of both worlds and cut through any foam like butter.

Interesting, I didn't even know that soldering iron blades existed

You can find those in any craft store or some hardware stores. The only thing is that most of those have very long handles which makes controlling it difficult. But Home Depot carries a shorter handle one. It cost more than the basic one but works just as well. Take a look HERE.

You can find those in any craft store or some hardware stores. The only thing is that most of those have very long handles which makes controlling it difficult. But Home Depot carries a shorter handle one. It cost more than the basic one but works just as well. Take a look HERE.

Wow, that's pretty cool! I might try that out sometime with foam

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back