Learning

Status
Not open for further replies.

tiredofbuttons

I actually started this project last year about a month before halloween. Got all my pieces pepped and coated with resin, started fiberglassing and just couldn't take the fumes any longer. It was also too cold to cure them outside, so I made a sealed off room in my house to continue. I really didn't have enough time, and the fumes were horrible so I abandoned the project until about a week ago.

I work with aviators and guys who race cars for fun and they all recommended that I use an epoxy based resin instead. WOW what a difference that made. The fumes are minor, it takes longer to cure, but it's stronger too. (also a bit more expensive heh). I got my 2 part epoxy with these awesome mustard pump style tihngs so that I just grab a plastic cup and a plastic fork and one pump from one container and two from the other, stir then brush on.

It also doesn't eat through sponge brushes so I can use them (they're cheaper and I don't have to worry about cleaning them up. I tried making my own bondoesque stuff by mixing a filler with the epoxy and it worked, sorta, but honestly bondo works fine and if I'm not using too much of the polyester resin I can handle it from time to time (plus bondo is 1/1000th as bad as the pure resin and lasts for a half hour tops).

Other things I learned: Do it right the first time. I fiberglassed the inside of my helmet in a hurry last year, because I really wanted to get done, but now that I'm shaping it, there were all kinds of bubbles I had to fix (yay dremel cutoff wheel + reglassing + bondo!). If I had done it right the first time I'd have been done with my helmet almost a week ago. I'm not rushing as much, if I don't finish this year for halloween I have plenty of awesome backup costumes so I really shouldn't stress. Rather do it right and be proud of it, than do it wrong and wish I had done otherwise.

It's going very well and I'm learning lots about this stuff.

TLDR: Do it right the first time and the right tools for the job make your life oh so much better.

I've tried the search option, but have been unable to find out, anyone try making a latex/stretch based underarmor? I've seen some molded ones, but no brushed latex over spandex/nylon/polyester.

*chants* pictures pictures pictures! lol

i've never thought of using epoxy, but it's still hot an sunny enough for me to keep my stuff outside ^^ good luck!

Pics or it didn't happen.

But seriously, use safety equipement. Gloves, eye protection AND a RESPERATOR. you won't be complaining about the fumes. And depending on how long you have been doing this (ESPECIALLY in a sealed off room-no ventilation-even outside with no protection is bad) you may have really bad damage to your lungs, brain, and so on.

Remember, SAFETY FIRST!!!

Xtreme TACTICS 101 said:
Pics or it didn't happen.

But seriously, use safety equipement. Gloves, eye protection AND a RESPERATOR. you won't be complaining about the fumes. And depending on how long you have been doing this (ESPECIALLY in a sealed off room-no ventilation-even outside with no protection is bad) you may have really bad damage to your lungs, brain, and so on.

Remember, SAFETY FIRST!!!

Oh no! I used (and still use despite the lack of fumes) a full respirator, goggles and gloves. The room I made in my house was a positive pressure room with CRAZY amounts of ventilation. It was just above freezing so I opened a window, plastic'd the whole room off and put a giant fan in the window pointing out. Then I put another giant fan at the door to that room pointing in, so I got fresh warm air blowing into the room at all times with the fumes blowing out.

Sadly I honestly just have a pretty sensitive nose. I get migraines pretty easily and being bathed in those fumes for that long was just killing me. Every time I'd step into or out of the room to go to the bathroom or go eat I'd have a killer migraine.

I'm working on getting some pics up, the main reason I haven't is because I spend every spare moment working on the suit haha. I'll try to take some tonight when I get home from work.

Last edited by a moderator:
Your body will absorbs a certain amount of the chemicals over time through your skin (even fumes). Some people are more sensative to chemiclas than others. There is no way I know of to 100% safe guard yourself from these chemicals other than not using them at all. By chemicals I am referring to Bondo, fiberglass resigns and the likes. Also, you should never store your resperator in the area you work with the chemical fumes in. Wear it out of the area you were working in and take off where there is ample fresh air. It should then be stored in a zip lock bag or tuperware container. The reason for this is the chemical cartridges will continue to filter the air and will lose effectiveness over time. Read the information that came with your resperator and replace the cartridges at the suggested intervals. I learned a bunch of this one summer while working in a automotive paint shop.

FatherDamien said:
Your body will absorbs a certain amount of the chemicals over time through your skin (even fumes). Some people are more sensative to chemiclas than others. There is no way I know of to 100% safe guard yourself from these chemicals other than not using them at all. By chemicals I am referring to Bondo, fiberglass resigns and the likes. Also, you should never store your resperator in the area you work with the chemical fumes in. Wear it out of the area you were working in and take off where there is ample fresh air. It should then be stored in a zip lock bag or tuperware container. The reason for this is the chemical cartridges will continue to filter the air and will lose effectiveness over time. Read the information that came with your resperator and replace the cartridges at the suggested intervals. I learned a bunch of this one summer while working in a automotive paint shop.

These are great tips! I learned them the hard way. Had all my stuff in a huge plastic tub. Came back after work one day and the respirator stank of the resin. Had to remove the cannisters, change filters and wash the whole thing. Now I'm much more careful.

I snapped a few quick photos last night with my phone. Was too lazy to change lenses on my rebel and actually get decent ones. I'll try to do that this weekend. Sorry about the quality. As you can see from the photos the right forearm has no resin or glass on it. The piece I made last year was unsalvagable. Considering making the HD forearms instead, but as I'm pressed for time, I'm not sure. Suggestions?

Last edited by a moderator:
Last night I had my girlfriend help me make a duck tape dummy of myself to assist in latexing the undersuit (id I decide to go that way) or to display the armor if not. Either way it will be handy. It gets very hot and very uncomfortable.

Armor's looking great! Keep working on it at the rate you are and I think you'll get it done soon.

Best of luck!

It dropped 30 degrees here pretty much overnight. Had to build a curing box to keep going. Not sure I'm gonna finish before halloween, but I'll sure try. Easy to not notice exactly how much work is put into a suit. (hint: a lot). I'll get some more pics up later this week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back