LongShot-X's Mark VI HD MJOLNIR Armor - WIP

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know how you feel about having to make $$$. I need a better job myself. SHould become a celebrity and make like $100 an hour for three hours a day, then spend the rest of the time pepping. lol.

I also will agree with the sanding wet bondo; tried it. BAD results. Gummed up the sand paper, spread the bondo where I didn't need it, yeah, it sucked.

Also have another question, idk if you've covered this already. HAven't seen it in the thread, though. How are you going to attach the boot covers to your boots? Like, make it so they don't flap all over the place over the top of them?

Congrats, and keep going!

what gloves are you plannign on using? also do you know what gloves dogwizard used? i would ask him but i cant message him for some reason and i dont want to just jump into one of his threads.

@Sean Anwalt
I have not yet decided. But I think that I am going to use the expanding foam to make the toe covers fit snug to the boot. Then perhapse some velcro strips on the inside. I'll have to experiment.

@LandonFoster1
I already have the gloves... The exact same ones as listed in the Complete Noob List However Im thinking of going with a pair of Mechanics Gloves instead. I'll keep you all posted.

FYI: Just got back for lunch and applied 2nd coat of paint to the Thighs. Again, I'll have pics for you all.

Cheers!

For the toes on mine I used expanding foam and a bit of hot glue. I've since spent hours wearing them to a con and they wont budge. I tried the velcro route and I didn't like the play the velcro allowed with the toes. Make sure if you use expanding foam you tape the toe cap down real good, and the piece is exactly where you want it on the boot because its very difficult to remove.

For the toes on mine I used expanding foam and a bit of hot glue. I've since spent hours wearing them to a con and they wont budge. I tried the velcro route and I didn't like the play the velcro allowed with the toes. Make sure if you use expanding foam you tape the toe cap down real good, and the piece is exactly where you want it on the boot because its very difficult to remove.
Thanks for the advice... I'll go the expanding foam method. I assume that the toe cap then becomes a permanent fixure?
Oh and how about the heal portion... does any work need to be done with that?

Test Pics

Here is a treat for you all. Keep in mind I have not done any strapping or padding yet.
I just had to take some pics of how it looks while wearing the leg pieces, minus the toe covers.
Side view
im000978.jpg

Front view
im000974.jpg

Things will sit better once the padding and strapping has been done.
As you can see, painting is still not quite finished with these pieces.

Back to more Bondo, Sanding, Painting and foaming the toe covers.

cheers!

@zero-sama
I'm sure that you can make it look as good!

@GarzakAzur
heheh I'm hoping that they'll look even more sexy when finish!

@Scrub
I plan on taking pics of the strapping process.

@balistek
Oh man I really hope so!

haha nice man! that looks great! finnaly got around to making a wip and now that i look at your progress compared to mine it scares me :0 well atleast i know someone will be dressed up for reach lol

Those legs are lookin' purty good, longshot. When do you expect to have the chest piece painted? Arms? Tomorrow sounds good! lol. You are for sure gonna make your deadline. Hey, quick question: What are the chances of you doing this same kind of WIP thread with an ODST build? Just thought I'd ask, because I'm nearing the completion of some major parts of mine, and I would like to see your method vs. mine. (If I could figure this communist computer thing out, I'd even have pics! lol)
Keep up the good work, and hope to see more progress soon!

Thanks guys!

I have the next 2 days off. I'm hoping to do another 12-16 hour marathon's worth of work for EACH day.

Right now I'm working on foaming in the toe caps to the boots. Its going to be a permanent attachement. Sooo I have to make sure that the toe cap is going to be exactly where I want it. That's the part I'm trying to figure out right now. Ugh... lets put it all on me. Does it look ok. Great! Tape it up. Get out of it. Then find out it has shifted posistions. ARRRRGG!

LOL... its all part of the learning process.

Mean while I have applied the Automotive gravlguard to the inner thigh pieces. You know... ... ... That area! :p Your gona want pics... I just know it!

Pics will be posted very soon.

Right now I'm working on foaming in the toe caps to the boots. Its going to be a permanent attachement. Sooo I have to make sure that the toe cap is going to be exactly where I want it. That's the part I'm trying to figure out right now.

I used that exact process for my first set of boots and toe caps. Lots of nylon straps, and make sure the toe cap can't shift in ANY direction!! Expanding foam is merciless and unpredictable, if it can find a way to screw you up it will ;) OH!!! You're also going to want to make sure to fill in your boots before applying the foam, or else the foam could expand downward and crush the boot to the point where you can't get your foot in!! I was just barely able to get into mine, and they were uncomfortable...

As for being permanent, it might not be quite as permanent as you think... Funny story, actually! It was a Halloween party, and I had to work in the morning, so we decided to stay the night in a hotel that was right next to my work... The hotel charges extra for parking, and my wife is super cheap, so we take two cars, one parked in a free parking space about a mile from the hotel, and the other we drove to the party. I brought a change of shoes, just in case, but I managed to bear the boots the whole night. We stay longer than we intend, and get a cab back to the hotel at about 3AM. I have to be to work at 7:00, but before I could get to sleep for 3.5 hours, I have to get out of the boots! They were hard to get out of as they were to get into!! Finally manage to get to bed and it seems like the alarm goes off almost immediately. So I'm scrambling around trying to find my clothes, and I realized I had left my backup shoes in the car, at the party! It was either spend 15 minutes trying to get back into the boots or go to work without shoes... in the rain. So after work I get back to the hotel in my wet socks, and my wife asks me to walk up to get the car (I'm a very fast walker). Fed up with walking around without shoes, I decide to put the boots back on. Takes about ten minutes, but I manage to get out the door... about three blocks out, one of the toe caps flies off, into traffic. I manage to get it without getting run over, and two blocks later the other one starts coming off, and I end up half-stumbling, half-limping the rest of the way. It's a manual transmission, so I ripped off the straggler, drove back to the hotel, and made her drive us home.

Thanks for the update... I have not yet done it... but I am working on a procedure.
Im thinking of hot gluing the toe cap. One spot on each side and on at the toe. That should keep the cap imobile until I can wrap it up in tape or straps.
Then fill in the boots. The part about filling in the boots did not occur to me. I'll have to work on that.
Then foam.

I'll sleep on it 1st. Then keep you all posted with pics of the process.
Thanks!

Progress Update

Ok now its time to go over the painting of the inner thigh pieces.
1st I use painters masking tape and tape up the edges of the area to be painted
img00017349.jpg

Wow do I ever has scrawny forearms, compared to MC's --- LOL

Once they are all taped up.
I use this stuff: "Pro Guard" Rubberized Gravlguard. <-- That's how they spell it! It's an automotive product used to undercoat the underside of vehicles. Its purpose is to protect the parts from gravel and scrapes. I'm using this because of the texture it produces and the scrape protection. OH and its BLACK. My brother got it for me... so You'll have to check around.
img00017356.jpg

Spray it on as per the instructions on the can
img00017362.jpg

Let it dry for about 2 hours
img00017479.jpg

Then gently and slowly peal off the masking tape.
img00017482.jpg

Perfect lines! One coat is all it took! I have used this method for the shins and the boots.
img00017483.jpg

I have enough of this stuff that I might use it on the inside of all my pieces.
im000979.jpg

Now I just need to let it harden overnight
im000980.jpg

Still what's left to do for these pieces: Black Washing, Dry Brushing, Strapping and then LED panels. --- That's for another day... with pics!

Today's inspiration would have to be ShadoKat's Foaming Boot Caps to the Boots Idea! THANKYOU SHADOKAT! If it works. The Boots will be the very first pieces that I can call "FINISHED" as per the stausimage.

Cheers!

It looks great so far. Good luck finishing the rest, I know you will make it awesome.

Thanks! I want it to be awesome. In fact I think the entire comunity (you guys) want it to be awesome!

That make me feel awesome. And when I feel that way... awesome just happens!

Now is'nt that just awesome.

Cheers! :)

good thinking bout that liner for that area. T-bagging over your victim's armor can potentially mess up your paintwork :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back