Lurker Noob - But experienced crafter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dani Girl

Jr Member
Hi all,

Just a member for a bit, but just wanted to give a huge thanks to everyone here, for offering such a useful site for all things to do with Halo and Armoring. HAd I known years ago, the ease of which to do armoring with pepakura ( when I was introduced to paper crafting nearly 20 years ago), it would have made several of my casting projects so much easier.

But that's what these sites are for. Discover new ways to do what can be complicated tasks.

But, this site also serves to spark interest and a need to start on projects that have been long in development. And mines, have been in "development" for nearly 5 years. so this weekend, i finally got down to do the body casting that I've been putting off for several months (mostly because of the costs involved and of course weather. can't do good castings if its too cold).

Result (kay guys, keep the hormones in check):
hardsuit_10.jpg
hardsuit_11.jpg

Don't mind the red bows. :D

Advice: don't try to cast when wearing 5" platform heels and have to stand for nearly 3 1/2 hours without moving.

So thank you, members of the 405th. You have inspired me to start on my long waited project. After Im done with this one , Halo Armor is my next one

That's pretty cool, I had stumbled upon the pics in the gallery not long before you posted this and wondered what it was for :)
Out of curiosity (if you don't mind me asking), how much would a body cast like that cost? I want to do something about my own body and head casts at some stage...

Looking forward to seeing what you do with this :)

Belakor said:
That's pretty cool, I had stumbled upon the pics in the gallery not long before you posted this and wondered what it was for :)
Out of curiosity (if you don't mind me asking), how much would a body cast like that cost? I want to do something about my own body and head casts at some stage...

Looking forward to seeing what you do with this :)

Well what went into that:

10 pounds of 20 pounds of alginate we bought (total $260)
18 rolls of Medical Plaster Blandages ( $160)
?? amount of plaster (i didn't ask about how much was used) (plaster is minimal cost anyway)
--- for the casting

For the armature:
2 layers of UltraCal 30 (1 50 lb bucket was bought, but only 1/4 th was used) $30
1 layer of burlap (between the layers) - free if you know where to hunt for them cheaply.

The armature actually weighs more than I do, which is funny since its only the legs. We still have the torso, arms and head to do.

When I first asked around, as to what it would cost to do a complete body casting, I was quoted from $2000 - $4000 . As you can see, Im getting away with it cheaply.

And if you plan on doing it, try to look for alginate that can be used with warm water. ITS QUITE cold when alginate that requires cold water to activate, is used. Goose bumps all over the place.

Here is the initial casting:
hardsuit_04.jpg

hardsuit_05.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Cool, thanks for that info :)
Sounds like it could get a little pricey if you don't know where to find the supplies, with a bit of luck I'll be able get some of the stuff cheap when I get some FX type work :D

Another tip. when doing a body cast, have 2-3 other people to help you. Otherwise, it takes longer without the extra hands.

Looks great! I always like if "new" members are showing some of there previous work!

There are a few pointers here and there on this forum how to make a full body cast. Personally i only have a head+ shoulders cast, it took me a couple of times to get it right...the alginate was drying quicker then my helpers could put it on me. I would love to see a full tutorial on this, because its a valuable asset for people that work with clay.

well, your not as noobish as other people :D

thats hard to do- a body cast. Must weigh a ton when finished.

well just saying you got some nice looking legs.....i always wanted to do a body casting of myself one of these days
i love that anime series i wanted to do that armor for my nieces
cant wait to see that armor done

falcon NL said:
Looks great! I always like if "new" members are showing some of there previous work!

There are a few pointers here and there on this forum how to make a full body cast. Personally i only have a head+ shoulders cast, it took me a couple of times to get it right...the alginate was drying quicker then my helpers could put it on me. I would love to see a full tutorial on this, because its a valuable asset for people that work with clay.

I can work one up, once i do screen grabs from the video i took (but I have to do some censor edits first). Its quite easy to do, however as stated above, its best to have 2-3 people to help you (since alginate can set up quickly, and you want to have time to layer the cheesecloth, plaster, and bandages before its sets up).

I've done partial body casts in the past (part of the legs, arms, torso), so this is my first complete cast that Im doing. By the end of this, I'll probably be able to do body casting in my sleep. :D

link4044 said:
well just saying you got some nice looking legs.....i always wanted to do a body casting of myself one of these days
i love that anime series i wanted to do that armor for my nieces
cant wait to see that armor done

One of my favorites as well. thanks for the comment on the legs :D tood bad Im short as heck.

tenacioust183 said:
you must work out...sorry couldnt resist. that is some really great work.

haha of course :D .. but I do play soccer twice a week, so that helps :D

thanks.

That's a nice cast! So what project are you working on now? From the way I understand you post it's not Halo armor yet so what is on the drawing board for now..

leegrisham said:
That's a nice cast! So what project are you working on now? From the way I understand you post it's not Halo armor yet so what is on the drawing board for now..

see my avatar :D

VERY very cool DAni :D It's so awesome to see another chic on here, though even cooler to see ya taken on the more difficult end!

And OUCHIE on the heels! Though Priss's hardsuit calls for that! This is on my lust list for "To Have armor"!! I like Nene's suit a lot too! Good luck with this, I can't wait to see how sweet the Hardsuit will look! And Kudos on doing the classic BGC suits, the new BGC made me... angry XD

Neat. I did some research rather than just ask - Priscilla - bubblegum crisis. On a sale of 1 - 10 how good is that show... In other words should I bother watching it.
Looking at the armor yeah I could see how you would very much need the body cast to make accurate good looking armor. Good Luck with your project.

Skullcandy Girl said:
VERY very cool DAni :D It's so awesome to see another chic on here, though even cooler to see ya taken on the more difficult end!

:D im all about difficulty haha!

And OUCHIE on the heels! Though Priss's hardsuit calls for that! This is on my lust list for "To Have armor"!!

haha. I have "lust" list as well. This hardsuit is the first one, I have several more that I want to do.

I like Nene's suit a lot too! Good luck with this, I can't wait to see how sweet the Hardsuit will look! And Kudos on doing the classic BGC suits, the new BGC made me... angry XD

HAHA. Yeah, I didn't like BGC 2040's suits, nor the story line they took with it. WAY to ...eegh
And I love classic BGC anyway. Just hard because Priss has 3 versions over the 8 OVA's... so just finding one "good" reference picture is hard. That's why I have my little Priss toy so we can work from that.

leegrisham said:
Neat. I did some research rather than just ask - Priscilla - bubblegum crisis. On a sale of 1 - 10 how good is that show... In other words should I bother watching it.

this is what we call "old school" anime, where many of the GREAT classics were showcased, in the early days of Anime being brought over to the states. the series officially made 20 years old as of last year.

on a scale of 1-10 ////

a 20 :D

I hear ya on the Priss variants! And I'm JEALOUS of your Figure! They're like, $135 on Evil-bay!

I can't remember how long it's in the EP, but the OVA "Red Eyes", the variant with the Knuckle bomb that shows up in Priss's Motoslave after Largo and the Boomers break her previous suit :( Dunno if it'll help at all, but I have some pages I used for reference if you're interested :D

This site has good Reference (though it's for the 2040 suits... hisssss) it may be another base for ya :)
http://www.catsuka.com/gengal_artworks.php?id=bbgc_tokyo2040
Ya can screen cap these buggers :)

Animego doesn't have the Model sheets, but they have a good amount of Hi-Res OVA box art and illustations :D
http://www.animeigo.com/Images/

Kick ass Dani!

Skullcandy Girl said:
I hear ya on the Priss variants! And I'm JEALOUS of your Figure! They're like, $135 on Evil-bay!

yeah I got a pre-order of it 3 months before their release. Only $74 at the time. coming out with more, now that I see.

This site has good Reference (though it's for the 2040 suits... hisssss) it may be another base for ya :)
http://www.catsuka.com/gengal_artworks.php?id=bbgc_tokyo2040
Ya can screen cap these buggers :)

Animego doesn't have the Model sheets, but they have a good amount of Hi-Res OVA box art and illustations :D
http://www.animeigo.com/Images/

Kick ass Dani!

thanks for the links. I totally forgot about animEigo's website. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back