1st Build MA5B Build

PeterCaplante

Hey y'all. This is my first build, and hopefully not my last. I decided to make an MA5B (the Halo CE Assault Rifle), and I kindof have some mixed feelings about where it's at now and was hoping to get some advice on what to do next.
20230905_175459.jpg
20230905_175619.jpg
20230905_175541.jpg
ma5b.jpg

Here's what I've done so far.
1) I 3D printed the rifle in parts using this file
2) I epoxied the parts together and used Bondo to fill in the cracks as well as I could.
3) I spray painted a base coat of a metallic dark grey, then taped off parts and spray painted on two other lighter shades of grey/silver.

Stuff on the to-do list
1) Weather it
2) Add "stock" details, like the ammo counter screen and the green light on the bottom
3) Add some personalized details. Namely, I wanna have a crude drawing of an elite and a grunt with a couple of tally marks next to each

Anyway, my main issue with it is that I'm not thrilled with the paint colors I landed on, and was wondering if anyone had tips to help darken it without having to just find new paints and redo it. Also if anyone has good ideas on how to make the ammo counter not look amateurish, or just any other general tricks and tips they would be greatly appreciated.

I'll try to keep this forum updated as I make progress.

I think you'll be surprised just how much a bit of weathering will do. Not that it looks bad as it is, but if you want to take it to the next level a black wash would do wonders! Looking good!

So it's been a minute, but I finally got around to working on this again! Here's what I've done since my last update:
1: I painted the green lights with a lime green acrylic paint and used a white paint to make some of the "bolts" stand out a bit more
2: I hand painted an elite and a grunt along with some tally marks on the right side of the prop
3: Weathered the gun using some sloppy drybrushing work with both black and a reddish-brown.

I'm pretty happy with where it's at now. I think all I really need to add is the ammo-counter screen, which I'm not too sure how to approach. I'm trying to avoid doing it by hand. I may try to do some sort of graphic design approach and make a custom sticker for it, but I'm open to other ideas!

Anyways, here are the updated pics!
20240112_224248.jpg
20240112_224236.jpg

Here's a close up of the elite and grunt

20240112_224205.jpg

This thread is more than 3 months old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back