Ma5C Sliced- First Attempt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow u got my gets spinning I'm gonna def give foam a shot... Looks bad a$$ r u gonna paint it?

thanks J450.... I appreciate the compliment....

I would indeed like to paint them... I am thinking of trying mod podge in very then coats to harden and seal the foam... then some very light sanding to get nice smooth surfaces... then painting them.

I am just starting with the foam builds... so kind of a rookie about what works with it and doesn't... but I can say that it is very easy to work with... and pretty forgiving as a building material.... it is also light as a feather....

Cujo3131

Good evening Gentlemen... and ladies....

Decided today to start work on Ma5C Mach II

I brainstormed some of the things I learned from the first.... and here goes....
Pic at the end....

1. I decided to take the center piece of the form and mock it up in three pieces... butt stock, main body, and what I call the scope... I cut notches in the top and in the main body.... My thought being that I could use wooden dowel rods to align the parts and to stiffen the overall body of the rifle.

2. I took some hard plastic pieces I had and lined the inside of the trigger area and used a small compression spring along with a fresh cut wooden trigger. I figured with the foam I needed something stiffer for the spring to rest against... and for the trigger to slide against...

3. Here you can see me gluing up the core... I used a 1/2" wooden dowel as the center support and stiffener...

4. For the scope area, I used square 1/2" pegs in the slots I had cut...you can see the scope part with holes.

5. I know Spartan-279 questioned on page 3 why I didn't go with a more correct scope instead of the rounded one on rifle #1. you can see with pic #5 that I went with more of the angled boxy look that is correct for the scope section.... Hope that looks better Spartan :cool

6. You can see the body here with the scope and butt stock now glued in place. I had to cut out two scopes (fudged the first one). But it is a good start and was a solid 2 hours of work in the wood lab today....

MA5C-preview7.jpg

As always... REALLY appreciate your critiques... brutal or not... and your insight.

Thanks to ALL who have come and looked and commented... REALLY appreciate it....

Cujo3131 :D :$
'NOW. that is beast. no doubt. have fun and keep workin.
are you gonna paint this boi?

Hey Spartan...

I do plan on painting this... just experimenting with a few things right now on scrap foam to see what is going to work best for the application...

I tried out Mod Podge regular... easy to apply and does seal the foam... can be lightly sanded.... and is paintable. However... if you bend the foam much you end up with crease lines and the such.....

I have a new bottle of Mod Podge HARD that I am going to try... it is supposed put a hard shell on the foam... be sandable and paintable....I wonder though if it will crack or break if the foam is flexed... that would suck....

Those are the two product I am trying.... I'll let you know how they work...

For ALL of the foam build threads I have seen, I have seen VERY few discussions of sealing and painting it... other than Mod Podge and Plasti-dip paint....

Cujo3131

wow...nice work!! im gonna attempt a full foam suit build next on mine

thats the first and best AR ive seen of foam

Thanks guys! I really appreciate it! I have nearly finished the front sections of my Hugh's
ODST shins... after I get that finished, I will probably come back to this and finish it up and
add the details....

Stay tuned for more updates after Christmas....

Cujo3131

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back