Magnet Idea

Status
Not open for further replies.
You're going to want to use Rare Earth magnets, also known as Neodymium magnets. These are usually not sold in stores, so you'll most likely have the best luck shopping for them online.

I purchased my magnets from DealExtreme.com. They work great and are priced right, though the shipping took weeks for me.

I knew i was going to be using neodymium but when i ebayed it and saw the ridiculous prices i thought, nahhhhh...
Dude, this website is fantastic, you've saved me a bit of cash, thanks heaps man!!!!

i was thinking about this also, but i think if you have a bigger weapon you may want to use pepakura and just resin it or somthing liek that so that it stays really light but also fairly strong, and put the magnet inside.

Apparently this idea is shared by a lot of us. I'm also attempting that effect. I hot glued metal washers in-between the EVA foam and the craft foam on my back piece. Magnets stick to washers, I've tested it with regular magnets. But we'll see if I can get a prop weapon to do the same. >.>

Goodluck dude. I'm interested to see how you will pull off this effect.

I got magnets in the past from K&J Magnetics and shipping was pretty fast. The prices are not too bad but the best thing is the HUGE selection they have. They have various shapes and sizes and have very detailed information on the strength of the magnets. They even have a handy calculator for how strong the magnets are at whatever distance you need and whether it's attaching to a steel plate or another magnet.

Thanks for the info man. I'll definitely check that site out. I would of posted some pics but something horrible happened. Just yesterday it rained really hard and apparently I have a leak on my roof. By the time I found out it was mostly lost. My helmet, pc, card stock and some college books where all ruined by the water. But I will rebuild.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back