magnetic attachment of armor pieces to under suit and other pieces-concept discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wanna point out your cell phone only contains flash memory media, no magnetic media. That means it's impervious to magnetic damage.

You're right about the storage, but magnetic fields do nevertheless have an effect, especially on phone reception. Doesn't seem to be permanent, though.

http://www.dealextreme.com/search.dx/search.magnets

Scroll towards the bottom. One of the better deals I've seen on magnets as well. Also, searching the site can yield other cheap materials for armor making (caution: site manufactures random adult novelty toys, you have been warned)

Also, I wanted to point out you can actually use magnets to complete a circuit. So theoretically, you could have lights on in your armor that only turn on when you actually clamp them together after putting in your battery source.

You're right about the storage, but magnetic fields do nevertheless have an effect, especially on phone reception. Doesn't seem to be permanent, though.
I've never noticed. I keep several rare-earth magnets on my wallet chain, which often hits right on my phone, when I'm sitting. I've had no noticeable effect on transmissions, either received, or sent.

Though, I would imagine the presence of a magnetic field would interfere with microwave transmissions to a certain degree.

Also, I wanted to point out you can actually use magnets to complete a circuit. So theoretically, you could have lights on in your armor that only turn on when you actually clamp them together after putting in your battery source.

That's an amazing idea!

I've never noticed. I keep several rare-earth magnets on my wallet chain, which often hits right on my phone, when I'm sitting. I've had no noticeable effect on transmissions, either received, or sent.

Well, it's not like you will render it useless that way ;-)

I've tested it, and depending on where I held the magnet, I achieved a reception drop of 3 bars out of 6. However, reception here is bad anyways, so depending on how they've scaled the indicator, three bars might be a lot (linear scale) or almost nothing (logarithmic scale - those three were the last visible bars :)).

One of the most interesting thread I ever came across. Guys, I'm learning a lot through the comments posted here.

I used rare-earth magnets to hold my torso together, they have worked great so far. I have 3/4" dia. by 1/8" thick pairs at each of the 4 connection points and I have to really pull to get my front chest piece off. I can also say strapping the back like a backpack is needed since the sudden release when removing the chest tends to pop the backpack off at least my back or you would need someone to help hold the back on to save it from the plummet to the ground. If anyone's interested I can post a couple pictures of my setup.

I just recently finished the chest piece for my suit and I decided to go with magnets to hold it together instead of clips since I built the armor to fit me so tightly. These are magnets that come in a pack of two: Ceramic Block Magnets 3/8 in. x 7/8 in. x 1-7/8 in. they do a excellent job holding the chest together and I it for about 5 hours straight partying on halloween, so yes it even got the drunk test. I would have to say tho, a few times when fitting for the padding they were strong enough to pinch the skin if caught just right without under armor on. lol. Here are some pics:

the Back piece with magnets attached:

IMG_2706.jpg

Chest piece with magnets attached:

IMG_2705.jpg

Holding the armor in the air by the chest piece in a way that puts all the weight's on the magnets:

IMG_2702.jpg

The Finished Pieces I Had on Halloween Night:

IMG_2700.jpg

So as you can see they worked for me quite well. If anyone has any questions on how I did the magnets, or would even like to see more about them feel free to send me a message or email me at Vahn363@hotmail.com.

That looks will good man.
What did u use to glue the magnets to the suit? Cause id be more worried about ripping them out during removal.

Would it be feasible to attach 'Tot Loks' to your armor? That way you can use magnets as a locking mechanism. I have them in my cabinets and they're fantastic. Just a thought!

I tried the magnet Idea with weapons. But the magnets I used were cheap and not strong enough. the problem was, the weapon would slide around on the magnet, still attached but would move. Anyone have a recommended strength?

I had planned on using RE Magnets to make my suit modular. I planned on adding a couple to the forearm (tac/uplink, ugps, carter attachment) and am currently looking into the feasibility of creating the standard noble 6 chest and simply attaching pieces to change it into the other styles (a lot like the game does) once I get into implementation of my plan I'll be sure to take pictures and document results.

That looks will good man.
What did u use to glue the magnets to the suit? Cause id be more worried about ripping them out during removal.

I used 2 different methods and both worked out just fine. Since I wanted to chest piece done for halloween and it was the day before, I just went ahead and hot glued them in. The hot glue method worked fine, as long as you add enough hot glue that it solidly contacts the armor, you should be good. Although, my concerns with hot glue is that once it starts to go, its gone, so i went ahead and went with "Gorilla brand Epoxy, Impact-Tough formula" to glue the magnets on afterwards.

I do have to admit, prying off the hot glue magnets was alot harder then i expected. The first 2 came off with a little force, but the last 6 didnt wanna budge for anything, Which at that point I had almost decided just to glue the 2 i took off back on and call it good, lol, so I used a heat gun to lightly heat the armor making the magnets come off much easier, then once the magnets were off, glue was hardened back off, i was able to pry up all the remaining hot glue on the magnets and the armor.

Me and the other Phoenix members plan on using magnets to attach our weapons to our backs and thighs and such. >.>

If you guys want to do the cannon approach ot securing the weapons on the back the back pack had square shaped magnetic clips that would project from the jet pak and curve a little to contur to the weapon's shape....

I'm gonna do this and probably would look cool and complete the magnet look as well.

This is going to be a good thread to follow and share ideas. Thanks Tyvern, for starting it.

I can say from experience that Rare Earth magnets is the best way to go. I'm using the Rare Earth magnets from defective Hard Drives.

I'm currently using 8 of them to hold the front of my chest piece together.

Ventru is correct about the shearing forces. For that I've modified 2 Parachute clips to keep the chest piece from sliding/shearing. --AND-- When I split my Torso piece, I did not cut it in a straight line, I cut it with a zig zag type pattern. So far it has worked out PERFECTLY.

I plan on adding magnets to the Thighs, Back, Belt pouch and Hand Plates.

Cheers.

double post......

This sounds good man! definately will have to use this aproach..

great thread man...i wanted to use magnets to secure loads on the armor but i didnt know where to start and well now i have an idea on some things.

I also plan on using magnets for my Master Chief build I found this place on line http://www.indigo.com/magnets/permanent-magnets.html

Really cheep prices, I plan on putting the magnet in the end of a tub attached to the backpack and another tube with a bolt in it on the chest so that the bolt slides into the one on the backpack. Kind of like a tab and slot method. The only difference is I plan on having two at the top on both sides and two at the bottom on both sides. I also plan to run current through the magnet and bolt so I can have a battery in the backpack power the lights in the chest.

Thinking of magnets... has anybody ever tried putting them inside a plasma grenade? That would be kind of cool... you could even line your armour with a little steel and play grenade-tag :)

can somebody say ouch after a loud magnetically-charged clang? lol, i love sound effects

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back