Magnets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shadowshail

RMO
405th Regiment Officer
Hey i am new to this but i had an idea that would be really cool if i can integrate it into my armor. Though if anyone else has already done it then that is cool too and i would love to hear how they did it!

OK, In the last couple of Halo games if you had a weapon and had it as your secondary it would appear on your back. Well i was thinking if you could plant some strong magnets into the back of your armor and then plant some more into each of your weapons you could easily carry around the gun on your back whenever you don't want to hold it. The same can go for a pistol on your leg, or even the Sword hilt on the leg as well.

Let me know what you think!

Also i am a down to earth guy so any comments regarding this is welcome in my book.

My only concern with magnets that large or that strong would be any equipment near by that might be affected. I don't think any cell phone is going to tolerate being around those, so I would keep that in mind.

I've got a photo of my thigh mount for a pistol in here, there's a description of how I did it somewhere but I can't seem to find it :unsure I'll post it when I do but basically I found magnets alone wouldn't hold it on the thigh properly. It had a habit of spinning around and falling off if bumped, even with powerful magnets. What I had to do was build a "key" on the thigh that locked the rotation, a pin prevents upward or downward movement, and the magnets holds it from there.

I've looked at doing the back mounted weapon, though I never bothered to finish any rifles, but it's a lot more complicated because of the shape of the back piece... if it was one flat area you could throw a couple of big magnets in there and be pretty good but there's not a lot of surface area on the standard Mk VI back. It is possible, just requires some engineering... which I should do one of these days...

I was actually thinking for the thigh pistol magnets to have one in the front of the barrel and the other in the rear action. Therefore it will stay in place no matter what because you have two points of contact. And if that does not work add some more magnets.

I would not have super strong magnets on it, but i would have ones strong enough to hold it in place and yet i can take it off whenever i feel like it.

Thanks for the posts guys! If anyone else has ideas please share them!

What if you put in metal on the armor and the magnets on the weapons? or would the bondo/fiberglass negate the effect?

research Neodynium magnets. They're small and strong.

You'll need 3 anchor points on both the piece of armour and the weapon so it stays on and doesn't spin.

Shadowshail said:
I was actually thinking for the thigh pistol magnets to have one in the front of the barrel and the other in the rear action...

I thought of and tried something similar but like the back, there's not a lot of contact between the thigh and the body of the pistol. That is if you're going for the Mk VI thighs, I haven't tried with any others as yet. If you're willing to sacrifice some accuracy you could build up the thigh a little to get more contact between the two... it'd be kind of cool to rig up an electro magnet too, then everything would stick, including peoples car keys as they posed for photos :lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Belakor said:
it'd be kind of cool to rig up an electro magnet too, then everything would stick, including peoples car keys as they posed for photos :lol

Yea but then their cameras would be coming to you as well!

Belakor said:
including peoples car keys as they posed for photos :lol

How do you think the Master Chief was able to jump in literally any vehicle and drive it? He must have amassed quite a collection of keys... :p

Yeah, I've fully been intending, since day zero, to use neodymium magnets for mounting on the back and thigh. It's going to be amazing. The only difficulty I'm foreseeing is finding points along the highly detailed back to use. I think I've found a couple, though.

So Shadowshail, yes. It's a very good idea.

well i would highley recommend goin to your local tip or recycling center and buy some speakers ;) preferably for the back for an ar to mount on , speaker magnets are pretty strong so there your best ticket to good magnets for probibly $1 or for free :)

"another mans trash is another mans treasure" << especially for prop making :p

I will say this, if you have any kind of credit cards or debit cards or the like, keep them away from the magnets. There is a possibility of them getting essentially degaussed. It's happened to me and a few of my friends without even noticing it until it was too late. There is no guarantee that it will cause problems - but it can so be careful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back