Marine Helmet/armor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't forget to put in a communications unit with boom mic in the helmet because what's a halo helmet without a com unit just be sure you put it on the side that suits you for your combat armor Privatteer that's my plan for my helmet when the exterior is done.

Small update the shoulders and bicep plates from the pilot are the exact same for the marine so I moved on to the forearm guard. Started the same but this time I sculpted it over a form I will be using this as padding behind the plate. A little kids shin guard for soccer lol, perfect fit for me arm and only $4 a pair at wally world I just hit em with a little flat black spray. After the sculpt was finished I box moulded it with the left over rebound 25 from the helmet and cast with smoothcast 320.

sorry for the crappy pics but its dark out and Im not much use taking pics with the left hand and holding the part with the right lol.

The concept which is really hard to make out.

P4120043.jpg

The finished part.

P5050161.jpg

P5050160.jpg

P5050159.jpg

Cheers!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Macattack64 @ May 5 2009, 09:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>omg slow down... lol I wish I could paint my Red/White armor like that... >.<</div>

I think Im going to start selling my painting services I might be able to afford some more halo stuff LOL.

Cheers!

Outta curiosity, since I'm still relatively new to this stuff, how did you attach the bicep plates onto the shin guard?

Please dont mind the language but my first reaction upon seeing your new helmet. . Is this privateers!! f*** YOU it is.
Awesome work man. Just incredible. keep it up I love seeing your new stuff

Well I tried a test today to make a more durable helmet thinking what would be better than armor you dont have to worry about cracking and chipping. Enter smoothcast 60D 20 min demould time streches 30% before a tear supposedly nearly indestructable and abrasion resistant, and as cheap as smoothcast 320. First off I ordered a trial kit to cast a part and test this stuff out. What better way to test it than giving it to my 6 yr old to play with lol after I pitched it up in the air and let it hit the concrete from probally 7 or 8 feet up. Good news is no damage whatsoever bad news is you will have to cast at least 1/4" thick for it to keep its shape and at that thickness it will wiegh about 5 lbs. So I opted to cast it normal thickness and back it with a thin layer of 320, much better quality flexible but still ridgid enuff to hold a good shape. One of the major drawbacks of this stuff is its nearly impossible to sand so you better have a damm good mould beforehand, cause once its cast its paint and pray!
All in all very affordable and so far good material for making durable cast parts that will resist almost everything we can throw at it during normal use.

Pics tomorrow when the cam baterry charges.

Cheers!

Privateer said:
Well I tried a test today to make a more durable helmet thinking what would be better than armor you dont have to worry about cracking and chipping. Enter smoothcast 60D 20 min demould time streches 30% before a tear supposedly nearly indestructable and abrasion resistant, and as cheap as smoothcast 320. First off I ordered a trial kit to cast a part and test this stuff out. What better way to test it than giving it to my 6 yr old to play with lol after I pitched it up in the air and let it hit the concrete from probally 7 or 8 feet up. Good news is no damage whatsoever bad news is you will have to cast at least 1/4" thick for it to keep its shape and at that thickness it will wiegh about 5 lbs. So I opted to cast it normal thickness and back it with a thin layer of 320, much better quality flexible but still ridgid enuff to hold a good shape. One of the major drawbacks of this stuff is its nearly impossible to sand so you better have a damm good mould beforehand, cause once its cast its paint and pray!
All in all very affordable and so far good material for making durable cast parts that will resist almost everything we can throw at it during normal use.

Pics tomorrow when the cam baterry charges.

Cheers!
You promised us more pics yesterday ;) Could you post a video? I can't believe that you don't have alot of experience, awesome job

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Privateer. This may or may not work for what you are trying to do, but how about molding your Marine helmet around a baseball helmet? This would give you a strong base to mold the helmet off of, and you won't have to add padding to the inside since that comes with the helmet.

I currently cant do this right now, so I'm throwing this suggestion out there for other guys to use a well. Thought you might like to here this since you said your trying to make a more durable helmet.

If you choose to take this approach, let me know how it works.

Sorry for the lack of pics just got home from austin and im too tired to snap pics right now. The baseball helm Idea I have looked into the only problem is the size of the helmet compared to the size of the batters helmet it wont fit inside. Im going more for a durable material so if you drop your helm or pack it for transport you dont have to worry about it getting damaged so far the material firmed up with a longer cure time and since I backed it with a thin layer of 320 its nice and ridgid but still scuff and chip proof.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back