Mark VI Wip

Status
Not open for further replies.
and the ab piece, anyone know how to attach it to the chest piece?

I know that most crafters like to attach it so that it is tucked up and under the front of the torso. For that you can fiberglass it in place.

For mine, I chose to not have it tucked up and under the front. Why? I wanted it to be able to freely swing in and out so that I would have increased degree's of freedom (mobility). eg. Easier to do sitting, crouching, picking something up from the ground, getting in and out of the car. To do that I used 2 straps of webbing to hold/hang the plate off the bottom of the front torso. Glassed the webbing in place.

Hope that helps.

Cheers!

Good news/bad news guys, good news I finally read fall of reach, OMG i hope they make it into a movie of course adding some of the ground action on Reach, that was the only disappointing part to me, was we didn't get to read much about what happened to the other spartans on reach.... guess that's why we have the game huh.... just need to get a 360 so I can play it....
anyways the bad news is I haven't gotten to do any work on my armor for the past week, we're having a pool put in and I'm building the poolhouse, which I've nicknamed the out house... so my days are filled with working with power tools and wishing I wouldn't have volunteered to do this....

I'll be back on task soon, untill then thanks for all the comments and suggestions...

Later

wow man your pepping is awesome very clean, i can't wait to see your armor finished!

Thanks for the words of encouragement, well i've started pep'ing again, and i can see the light at the end of the tunnel on the pool house, just a few days of putting on the hardie plank and I'll be done... now if the pool guys would finish the pool so I could enjoy it... anyways I'm pep'ing my left thigh piece and I believe I'll have the whole suit pep'ed... once the thigh is done, I'll lay everything out and do a group shot for y'all, anyone have any recommendations on a small sander? I have a dremmel, just wanted something a bit larger to do the larger surfaces...

update: finally started rondo-ing again, and started sanding, thought things were looking good till I took pics to post, but you can see the lines where i've sanded down the pep lines... guess it's time to get a power sander and some more bondo...

Haloproject002-1.jpg

Haloproject003-1.jpg
here you can see where I used my extra rondo, the toes of my boots are SOLID

Haloproject004-1.jpg

Haloproject005-1.jpg

Haloproject007.jpg

sorry for the double post, but I've run into a problem and wanted this post to stand out.... I've pep'ed a new helmet... flyingsquirells if I remember correctly,
Haloproject010-1.jpg

and today I was going to resin it, until I noticed the back left top seems to be caved in, I know this was the last ... part I pep'ed but why did it cave in, and how do I fix it, help please...

Haloproject012-1.jpg

Just glue some sticks on the inside just to push it out and put 2 layers of resin on the outside once the resin is harden you remove the sticks and do the fiberglass or rondo and that should fix some of that and bondo work should fix the rest

Thanks Sandy, I'll give that a try, I think I just royally messed up my shoulders, I'm starting to look at the Mk V shoulders and wondering if my Mk vi shoulders are too warped to save how many people would notice if I substituted the older models.... they seem like they'd have less chance of warping when I rondo, plus I can tape off the bottom and slush cast them easier... gotta give the rondo time to cure and then go see... I'll post pics sooon

Troy

Ps I started looking at reach armor last night, and I think I've got it narrowed down to three, but then I reminded myself, one project at a time.... uggg so much to build and not enough time or money....

Edit 4/28/11

Good Morning 405th, I've had a few busy days. As I said above, when I rondo'ed my hd shoulders they warpped beyond the point of being fixed, and then I got frustrated and broke them as I tried to twist them back into shape. I decided in the heat of the moment I would go back to the mk v shoulders since they are more of a complete cylinder, I even peped one that night... then as I was trying to add to it to fit my arm I realized I wouldn't be happy with them b/c of the lack of detail, and while most of my friends and the general public wouldn't be able to tell the difference, I'd all ways know. so now I'm proud to bring you my hybrid custom shoulder... I say hybrid because part of it is from the ld shoulder, while most of it is the HD (there was one part that kept warping every time i'd build the HD ...

Haloproject007.jpg

Haloproject009.jpg

Haloproject006.jpg

Haloproject011.jpg

Haloproject010.jpg

you can see I'd added alot to the original shoulder, I've also started using the double cardstock method, sort of like TUCKERX052 did with his jorge build, if you haven't checked his build out, it's pretty awesome, basically I print the file out on standard 110 lb cardstock, then spray a sheet of 65 lb card stock with spray adhesive and glue both sheets together, then trace the lines, score them, and finally cut the pieces out and start peping... it seems like it's added a lot of strength to my build, I've also added a few support strips to the inside of the shoulder where I knew it usually warps on me...

another thing I realized the other day was the top part of my boots no longer matched up with the back of the boots, so I spent all day yesterday pep'ing a new boot and went ahead and attached the top to the back, so I don't have to worry about them matching up later... I went back and looked at Longshot's build to see what he did, I use his mk vi build as a point of reference, almost a how to guide... anyways here's one of my new boots

Haloproject005.jpg

Haloproject004.jpg

and lastly, I've noticed part of my chest is fubar'ed, but at this point I'm flat out refusing to re-pep the whole thing, just because parts of the arm holes got squished... after all to get the chest piece to fit me it was 65+ pages and took several days of pep'ing, so heres what my plan is, I've re-peped one of the parts that warped, I've cut out the warped piece and then hot glued the new section in place and resin'ed it, just need to get some more bondo so I can rondo the inside... here are the pics

Haloproject002.jpg

you can see how it came out sort of like this >

Haloproject003.jpg

here is the new piece that is being added to the chest, I might have gone a bit overboard with the popsicle sticks, but I'm crossing my fingers that it won't warp this time...

on a personal note I'm going to work for a temp agency until I can find a teaching position, so my armor building time is about to get cut back (I hope) but on the upside, I'll be able to afford bondo and resin, and led's and paint and .... and ... and... have a good day 405th

Troy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back