Measuring

Status
Not open for further replies.
GiR3892 said:
i dont actually know if anyone saw abrant 3 sizing tutorials on youtube? (well there not there now) but anyway is pretty simple you dont really need all this mumbo jumbo os 72 divied by 86 etc etc (you can do that if you want) but i would give just simple measurement using a tape mesure a go its alot easier

its imple for exaple i will go for say a helmet right roughly the average helmet you get is say about 265mm to about 280mmm that there should already be the perfect size you dont really need to dd 2 or 3 inches because well 3 inches will make it look weird and overly big , all you do is take the measerment of your chin area to the top of your head and only add a few more centermeters to it that there should be perect

hope this helps

+1 on the Abrant3 method of just using a measuring tape with reference points on your body. That's how I've done everything on my suit so far, and I think the scaling is pretty much dead-on. It's a terrible shame that his tutorials aren't on youtube, anymore. They were so helpful.

Last edited by a moderator:
I KNOW! i only found out a few weeks back when i was going to post it for someone , oh well i might try and make some of those tutorials hopefully the same way he did so then i can show every one that asks this how i do it , trust me every piece i have done which is ,say 20 different pep models i have used THAT method and they always come out perfect . :)

thanks naga for the +1 :p

GiR3892 said:
I KNOW! i only found out a few weeks back when i was going to post it for someone , oh well i might try and make some of those tutorials hopefully the same way he did so then i can show every one that asks this how i do it , trust me every piece i have done which is ,say 20 different pep models i have used THAT method and they always come out perfect . :)

thanks naga for the +1 :p

You can count on me :D

+1 AGAIN!!!11!

Psychopanda said:
I'd like to get in on this! +1!.. Lol.. yeah if either of you could explain to me this abrant sizing and what not.

It's a really basic and straightforward method of sizing the pieces. The concept also applies to any other model you're making (ODST, for instance). effectively, you look at reference pictures to determine reference points that correspond to your body. You then use a measuring tape to measure from point to point on your body to determine how tall each piece needs to be and use that value as the height value for the appropriate pepakura model. For instance, the chest should be measured from where your elbows meet your side to the bottom of your ears. The thigh piece is measured from the joint in your hip to the top of your kneecap. So on, and so forth.

Like I said, it's pretty straightforward and very logical. Abrant3 had a series of tutorials going through more than just sizing, but his sizing tutorial gave you reference points to measure from and the height values that he used for himself. It was INCREDIBLY helpful. The greatest part about it is that it accounts for the infinite variables between each person's body, because each person's body is different - one 6' person's legs are longer than another 6' tall person's legs, for instance. And by measuring off of your own body, you ensure the most accurate fit; you basically tailor-make your armor to fit your body, which is as good as it gets. A scaling value is a quick way to get something close, but not perfect.

If nobody else does so by the time I finish my armor, I'll make a very similar sizing video to the one he took down. That way, people can have the same help I received that made my job so much easier.

Thank you GiR and everyone else ill give it a shot

+1 for GiR

one more thing how do i put mm in the measuring thing when it only uses CM?

would i have to convert it or somehow change that CM to MM on the program?

Thegetogecko said:

+1 for GiR

10mm = 1cm

5.0 cm = 50.0 mm

24.0 cm = 240.0 mm

It's an easy conversion you can either do on your head or via calculator (if you're really rough with math or the metric system).

Mental: Simply move the decimal one place over to the right to go from cm to mm. (and move it left if converting the other way)

Calculator: Simply multiply the cm value by 10 to get the mm value. (and divide by 10 if converting the other way)

(Also, 1 inch = 2.54 cm)

As an additional note to EVERYONE:

Familiarity with metric system is an incredibly valuable asset. The entire world, save the United States, uses it. I have the benefit of a college education and a youth spent overseas to make this easy for me. But I recommend for everyone else that they take some time to really understand the system. It's not a giant monster that will eat your brain - it's a very, very intuitive system based on factors of 10 and one standard reference unit. It's actually much easier to work with.

Hopefully that helps.

i started to make my helmet and yet again it still looks like it cant fit on my head?

how do you guy make it so that the helmet is bigger? i did it with the new measurements of 28cm... can someone help me please i would appreciate it greatly thanks.... :)

Thegetogecko said:
i started to make my helmet and yet again it still looks like it cant fit on my head?

how do you guy make it so that the helmet is bigger? i did it with the new measurements of 28cm... can someone help me please i would appreciate it greatly thanks.... :)

I made a tester sized at 28cm (I'm also 6'1", btw). In order to fit it over my head, I had to cut a few slits into the neck opening and just force it over. Based on the look of the HD model, that shouldn't be an issue. And if it is, just trim.

So I would recommend cutting slits in the opening of the tester so it can bend and give your head room to go through. The 28cm fit me pretty much perfectly. If you base the sizing off of whether or not you can fit your head through the opening, your results will end up oversized.

I can tell you how I do my scaling...

I use pepakura v3 and what I do is measure myself and I take note if I am measuring for width or height then I convert that to mm. Then I just go into pepakura then intput the number where I need it (either height or width) box and that's it.

I had MAJOR issues with dividing by 86 multiplying and doing all that crap. It just never seemed to work for me and was just too much. I feel that just converting my inches to mm and inputing it where I need it works and I have not had any major issues with scaling.

If you are using cm, then you have pepakura v2. I would personally recomend getting v3 since there have been pep files made to only use with v3 and v2 can not open the files.

well i finsished my 3rd helmet and yet again its too small! ugh

i put it at 30cm

what program do you use to make the HD model?

i wanna get it right this time

Thegetogecko said:
where could i get a visor for and ODST helmet?

Okay welcome to 405th but you are disobeying a lot of stuff from the orientation video if you have not watched it before. Watch it please:

NAGA said:
It's a really basic and straightforward method of sizing the pieces. The concept also applies to any other model you're making (ODST, for instance). effectively, you look at reference pictures to determine reference points that correspond to your body. You then use a measuring tape to measure from point to point on your body to determine how tall each piece needs to be and use that value as the height value for the appropriate pepakura model. For instance, the chest should be measured from where your elbows meet your side to the bottom of your ears. The thigh piece is measured from the joint in your hip to the top of your kneecap. So on, and so forth.

Like I said, it's pretty straightforward and very logical. Abrant3 had a series of tutorials going through more than just sizing, but his sizing tutorial gave you reference points to measure from and the height values that he used for himself. It was INCREDIBLY helpful. The greatest part about it is that it accounts for the infinite variables between each person's body, because each person's body is different - one 6' person's legs are longer than another 6' tall person's legs, for instance. And by measuring off of your own body, you ensure the most accurate fit; you basically tailor-make your armor to fit your body, which is as good as it gets. A scaling value is a quick way to get something close, but not perfect.

If nobody else does so by the time I finish my armor, I'll make a very similar sizing video to the one he took down. That way, people can have the same help I received that made my job so much easier.

well you pretty much sayed it all there naga ;) , like you said its pretty much the easiest and most efficient way of scailing for your own body

Thegetogecko said:

+1 for GiR

lol cheers for that , like naga mentioned you have 3 number for mm and only 2 number for cm , just remove the decimal place (the third numer) and you have your centermeters

NAGA said:
10mm = 1cm

5.0 cm = 50.0 mm

24.0 cm = 240.0 mm

It's an easy conversion you can either do on your head or via calculator (if you're really rough with math or the metric system).

Mental: Simply move the decimal one place over to the right to go from cm to mm. (and move it left if converting the other way)

Calculator: Simply multiply the cm value by 10 to get the mm value. (and divide by 10 if converting the other way)

(Also, 1 inch = 2.54 cm)

As an additional note to EVERYONE:

Familiarity with metric system is an incredibly valuable asset. The entire world, save the United States, uses it. I have the benefit of a college education and a youth spent overseas to make this easy for me. But I recommend for everyone else that they take some time to really understand the system. It's not a giant monster that will eat your brain - it's a very, very intuitive system based on factors of 10 and one standard reference unit. It's actually much easier to work with.

Hopefully that helps.

thanks for posting that example naga

Thegetogecko said:

woah 28 - 30 should be big enough what is most likely stoping you from putting it on is most likely the neck seal area i always sit it first on my head and then just draw a circle to see where it would fit , hair also can be a very annoying delemer as well so if you have bushy hair then that could also be your problem.

now to see that you have 3 helmets which is pretty good that youve gone and ade them all ;)

now my mk 6 helmet was very decieveing when i built it but the victory moment and stress level went down after i first tried it on which was a major relieve after spending 4 days pepping it

is there any chance also that you could post pictures for comparison between the helmets and also if they go on your head ? , then it might give us and even better way to help you out

HaloGoddess said:
I can tell you how I do my scaling...

I use pepakura v3 and what I do is measure myself and I take note if I am measuring for width or height then I convert that to mm. Then I just go into pepakura then intput the number where I need it (either height or width) box and that's it.

I had MAJOR issues with dividing by 86 multiplying and doing all that crap. It just never seemed to work for me and was just too much. I feel that just converting my inches to mm and inputing it where I need it works and I have not had any major issues with scaling.

If you are using cm, then you have pepakura v2. I would personally recomend getting v3 since there have been pep files made to only use with v3 and v2 can not open the files.

Halo Goddess which one do i choose for the pepakura because when i try to buy a password it gives me three options

there is one for $38

one for $30

and another one for $22

which one?

ya i can put some pictures on but ill have to do that tommorrow when i have both helmets with me

its not that i cant fit it on my head (which i really cant) its that its really tight around it and i have no where to put the padding in for later use

but the thing i dont get is that i pepped everything else (but the chest and back) and it came out perfectly fine?

Just get the demo. That's free. You don't really need the password unless you want to save your personal scale numbers 'n stuff.

Queen said:
Just get the demo. That's free. You don't really need the password unless you want to save your personal scale numbers 'n stuff.

Just like he said. I didn't pay for mine. I only find it necessary to actually pay for the license is if you want to unfold models and save it so you can upload for others to use or if you want to save YOUR specific scale. And if you really want to remember the numbers you used for the scale and what armor piece it was, just get a piece of paper or a notebook and use it specifically for your paper art stuff. Just don't lose it! I have a small old sketchbook that had a lot of blank sheets left and I just use that to write down all my stuff so I don't forget.

I honestly feel that pepakura v3 is MUCH easier to use than v2 due to the scaling issue. V3 just seems so much easier. You will really want to get it in case you end up with a file that can only be used with v3. It happened to me a couple times so I got v3.

ok well i guess if i ever get a file that i cant use ill get a V3 Pep

Also i have already asked Naga this but i wanted to get your guys thoughts as well

what do you guys wear under the suit?

Pressure suit?

or Regular Undergarments?

i have just a few more questions that i need to know

1) how do you and when do you put on the straps, buckles, and velcrow?

2) what kind of paint do you use?

3) what paint do i use to make the master chief color? because i dont want it to look like it on the bottle but comes out crappy or what not but if anyone knows the answer to any of these questions please post them

thanks for your time :D

P.S. if you order any of this stuff off the internet please put the address also where do you get the Visor at?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back