Mold Making non-tutorial

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good video Adam, i never have seen a good tut video for a one mold 2 part jacket. This is something that the people needed.

the head you used for a base for the original model, does it have to be close to the size or your head? and how much does all that work roughly cost around?

Wow that is pretty sweet sometime I wouldnt mind trying to make something with plastics as long as I can find everything I will need!

Sarge Christi said:
Kick butt, i also enjoyed the rock lobster song you put in.
thats what i said =P

Hey Adam, how come when you were on the final batch you had the silicone mold out of the mother mold?
Was it because the other batches were rigid enough to do so? Ho long do you wait between the a-b plastic "coats"?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, once you get enough to cover the whole inside of the silicone mold with the mother mold in place, it becomes rigid enough to finish without it. And also because that mother mold is hhheeeaavvvyyy. Arms get tired after awhile :p

Ragnarok118 said:
thats what i said =P

Hey Adam, how come when you were on the final batch you had the silicone mold out of the mother mold?
Was it because the other batches were rigid enough to do so? Ho long do you wait between the a-b plastic "coats"?

yeah, after a few coats of plastic, I took off the shell mold... because it gets heavy :-( - though you shouldn't do that normally.

nice vid, i wouldnt take off the mother mould the heat of the resin well warp the helmet.....i make my mould alittle different then yours (plus theres many different ways to make one)

Thank you adam, I believe this will help me greatly, even though it isn't even a tutorial.

I want to redo my helmet, so I'm going with the clay.

Clay - $100
Silicon - $160
Shell - $60
Gallon of resin (3 or 4 helmets worth) - $90
Foam Head - $10
Turn Table - $10
Blue Visor - $30
Pipe and Flange - $10

Make yourself a budget of $500 if you're planning on doing it - Just to let you know. But once you have one, you can probably make helmets for $50 a piece (visor being the expensive part)

Adam said:
Clay - $100
Silicon - $160
Shell - $60
Foam Head - $10
Turn Table - $10
Blue Visor - $30
Pipe and Flange - $10

Make yourself a budget of $500 if you're planning on doing it - Just to let you know. But once you have one, you can probably make helmets for $50 a piece (visor being the expensive part)
Whats the pipe and flange for?

it's basically a "head on a stick" - the pipe is what you put the foam head onto, and the flange is what holds the pipe to the turntable.

Argh, I can pay that much...

Is there a cheaper product?

'cause I have a pep helm who is completely fiberglassed. I'll add details soon with apoxie sculpt.

I can pay maybe 100$ for the mold, but, I don't have a lot of cash.

Do you think there's a product for this price?

Adam said:
Clay - $100
Silicon - $160
Shell - $60
Foam Head - $10
Turn Table - $10
Blue Visor - $30
Pipe and Flange - $10

I've got about $390, I just need to save some more.

Adam said:
it's basically a "head on a stick" - the pipe is what you put the foam head onto, and the flange is what holds the pipe to the turntable.
Doh, now i feel dumb. Haha

I am very tempted to cast my mark 5 helmet but the cost of mold making is so expensive! I have looked towards doing painfully complicated multipieced fibreglass molds but I have no doubt that trying to do the mold in fibreglass would be more expensive anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back