Molding Armour

Status
Not open for further replies.

bankz5152

Jr Member
Hey,

I recently bought the Limited Edition Deluxe Master Cheif armour from eBay and wanted to know how easy it would be to replicate?

My preliminary thoughts where to lay the armour down and place cling film over the parts then use fibre-glass matting to get the base shape and use bondo for detail. Then cutting the matting once dry to get the shapes.

Im dont mind too much on detail as Id be using the second version for Airsoft. So It needs to be resonably robust and easily repairable.

Also it may not end up looking exactly like the Master Cheif but a 'concept' of sorts. Possibly changing it around so it works as armour but aslo works well as funtional airsoft kit.

The other thing I was going to do immidiatley was to replace the silly visor with a gold Bike helmet visor, adding some fans as well.

(p.s. the armour hasnt arrived yet, but ill post pics up as soon as i start work)

Thanks

Josh

dont use a moto visor for it, the bb's will bust through and you will have nice golden shards in your eyes. and unless that armor is make from steel or high impact plastic it wont last very long.

Was going to use proper bb glasses underneath (Wiley X SG1s).

What would you suggest for the visor so it wouldnt crack or shatter?

I was going to use several layers of fibreglass with metal powder infused with it which would hopefully give it some decent strength. Ive used a similar technique with plastic, infusing metal powder to strenghten it and it has worked well.

A couple of layers of fiberglass cloth should be fine, IF you do it right. Make sure you completely saturate the fiberglass cloth with resin before you apply it. As for the visor... maybe Lexan. In 1/8" or thicker. Good luck and be careful. :D

Also to protect your helmet get some polyester mold release from michael's if they have it your area to spray on it . The resin wont stick to it .

Cheers guys. Very helpful.

Ive been makeing alot of sketches and designs as to what it might look like in the end. So far its a sort of cross between the MC and ODST armour with a bit of US Marine/SAS input.

Id obviously test before hand, im sure it will easily stand up to semi automatic fire, but when you run into a squad with SAW's or other high ROF fully automatic weapons then that will do alot of damage, ruins skin good enough, lol.

Im considering not doing the helmet as I think overall it would probably reduce vision especially with my peripherals. Unless I can have it with something 'Field Worthy'

So far all it would do is give me head protection (dont mind too much)

1. Extra head mounted lighting White & Red, possibly IR for NVGs

2. Helmet Cam (got one ready to hook up) that uses SD cards that would go in the back just like MC!

3. As the Helmet would be rather big and make it difficult to shoulder a weapon i was thinking about adding a small screen inside over the left or right eye linked to a camera on my rifle.

I know you can get small screens 2.5" - 3" screens with various inputs and ive seen small curved ones aswell. And ive already got a GunCam for videoing good kills.

Also how difficult is it to make a filp up/push down visor?

Also the visor probably would not end up being god, most likely Amber (helps to pick out camo in the trees) or black but light enough to see in the dark.

Finally what is Lexan?

Thanks

AGH! YOU CANNOT(I REPEAT CANNOT) MAKE A SUIT OF ARMOR FOR AIRSOFT! The bb will break through the visor, and probably the armor. Why spend so much money JUST to waste it? If you trip, it could break. You will have NO mobility, and will barely be able to see your mag pouches.(or however you hold you mags) Also, will you be able to crouch/crawl? No. Will you be protected from a bb? No. Are you a legitimate airsofter and not just some kid who thinks its okay to buy crappy walmart/big 5/ dick's sporting goods guns and play in the backyard/ an area which can be viewed by others and hasn't notified the cops about it/in a public area and not wear good eye protection? No, you definitely aren't, or else you wouldn't make a thread like this. You would need to wear goggles UNDER the helmet, and you would need to go out to a place like goggleoverstock.com and buy arena flakjaks which are ANSI/ANZI rated. Please, unless you learn more about airsoft, don't play, and don't try this idea. Also, DON'T RECAST!

P.S-Any legit field with legit players will laugh their asses off at you.

For one read - 'Was going to use proper bb glasses underneath (Wiley X SG1s)'

2. Im 19 owned airsoft since I was 12 and i mean proper airsoft.

3. Been playing the game since I was 16.

4. Guns? Ive got a TM P90 which is upgraded to hell, Original Star SA80, VFC SCAR W/EGLM, A&K M249, JLS F2000, TM M3 Super 90, 6" Desert Eagle with the electroplating kit, 10" Limited edition Leon Custom Desert Eagle, Glock 23F fully upgraded and a KJ M9 + 3 I built my self which includes an Rifle, 12G Shot pistol and an SMG. Also got a Umarex Air Magnum and an Umarex Beretta CX4 Storm.

Ive maintained, upgraded all of them myself. Since I was 12 ive aslo owned over 85 different Airsoft guns from AEG, GBB, NBB, AEP & various spring rifles.

As for eye protection as above I have Wiley X SG1 currently used by the British Army which protect against bomb shrapnel, Wiley X Blink and Oakley M-Frames which protect you eyes from a .40g steel ball being prepelled at 102mph. Kit wise everything is either Blackhawk Omega or genuine British Army kit.

On top of the airsoft experience I also did 3 year of Army Cadets.

I wouldnt be using the armour so much for protection more for a unique look. I normally play in a tshirt, vest trousers somtimes shorts if its too hot.

Also if youd read the whole thing its not going to be an exact copy of the MC but a more feild usable version with built in mag pouches.

As for them laughing at me? Probably yes but I know most of them so not to botherd.

So to answer your question. Yes I am a legitimate Airsofter and have been for quite some time.

Hm. panda, i beleive you were just served. the only thing i agree with is don't recast.

panda, you can't just assume hes a airsoft noob. nothing he said pointed to it.

boxxytrolling.jpg

:D

My helmet can take airsoft bullets at point blank. Also i got my supplies at dollar tree an dit costed up to 20 bucks to get the stuff and i can proball make several other things whith the left overs.

yeah its been said before countless times with tests and everything, dont use it for airsoft/paintball

the mobility is horrible, even if you do wear it for a "unique" look

and any legit airsoft player knows that you need to be very mobile.

this is almost like when the GIJOE guy comes in to play paintball with his Tippman A5 all beefed up to look like an M4 and says he was in the army, sniper, bla bla bla and then he gets owned. dont be that guy, we had guys i airsoft try to be gi joe and they just received facials. Since it seems your a legit airsoft player, then you probably know what i mean.

However i am not saying "dont try it" if you can figure out a legit way for it to work well in the playing field, then please do so!!! =]

I mean its going to take ALOT of R&D to get a workable design. I mean I wouldnt ware it every time I go just every now and then or for skirmishes in my garden with mates. I know you have to be crazy mobile i mean i had a vest on loaded with M16 mags and a Desert Eagle side arm with the M249 as my main weapon and that was hard enough very chunky.

Possibly just the shin guards, half the thigh guards (the outer half), Lower arms, upper arms & shoulders and possibly a modified version of the chest peice. No gloves, boot parts or croch peice.

I used to know a guy that played at my site who allways wore a 'gears of war' style armour. I think it was a vastly modified set of motocross armour. I mean it had huge shoulder pads, upper arm 'guards' and a big 'moulded' chest set with P90 mags housed below that. Aswell as various other bits although he did seem to sit out the woodland games but did allways play the CQB.

As youve all said dont remould ive been looking into using aluminium to create the armour, which would be light weight, protective yet easy to work with.

Given enough time into R&D this may work, still not too sure if it will. Would be very good for CQB at sites that play 350fps, been in that situation with the wrong kit and it hurt like hell.

Ill try to get some pics up if i can.

thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back