My Custom Build (Armoury Spartan)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Armour is temporarily on hold for the next month or 2 while I'm back at uni, although I'm going to try and primer the whole thing when I go back for the weekend (Next week).
The local poundland has £1 cans of 300ml grey primer, so hopefully they'll do a good job of coating the suit at a fraction of the price.
They're pretty limited in terms of other colours, so that'll probably be a Halfords job.

The suit is really coming together. Looks really well done. Is the hammer a pep'd piece or foam?

The suit is really coming together. Looks really well done. Is the hammer a pep'd piece or foam?

It's pepped, but filled with expanding foam to pressurise the inside. I have a seperate thread with all the progress pictures; Link's in the signature.

------

I'd previously wanted the CQC shoulders to be removable, but it saved so much time to just bolt them to the biceps. Bit of a shame since the effort put into the details won't get seen, but at least they're secured nice and firmly. Clickable thumbnails as always! >>>

th_6_zps7aae9514.jpg th_7_zpsa2fec462.jpg

Some close ups of the buckle attachment system: The fibreglass is flexible enough to pull the 2 sides apart in order to fir the clips together. I can just about undo them while wearing the torso:

th_18_zps80d48bc7.jpg th_19_zps3b84b648.jpg th_16_zps5f5dade6.jpg th_17_zps9ca6c095.jpg

Every single piece is now sprayed with primer, all with cheap and effective £1 cans from poundland (1 of the 5 was a dud can). Some areas look like they need a second coat of primer, where the resin has repelled the paint, but they're few and far between, so should be easy enough to cover up with the top coat, or "wear and tear" detailing.

Now 405th finally seems to be working again I can resume updating my thread:

Here are a couple of pictures I took last winter:

th_1_zps8c430ef4.jpg th_2_zpsaace8ab7.jpg

And (After returning from uni) I've started on the blue/white paint scheme:

3_zpsb75072ca.jpg

Unrelated, but here's a gif I made. Perfect response if anyone should happen to insult your armour!

Hero160p_zpsf7289883.gif

Small updates:

th_5_zps4fe35da5.jpg
Thighs fully painted and details added

th_27_zps46d482c5.jpg
Buckle and shell bracket made from hand cut 0.5mm aluminium

th_9_zps9274e914.jpg
Wrist shells with string sprayed silver

th_10_zpsc6ecd263.jpg
Finished armour fully assembled (Prior to attaching foam padding to the remaining pieces)

Armour is pretty much finished now. All that remains is to fix the toe pieces to either some boots, or to the heel pieces. I may also make some foamcutouts to wrap around the stomach area (It looks a bit plain with just a black top and the back protector's elastic straps.

SAM_2674_zps87f89b58.jpg

SAM_2683v2_zps17152406.jpg

360° walk-around and walking test

Last edited by a moderator:
that armor is epic!!! My only critique would be the under suit particularly in the stomach area like you said.

Thanks! Yeah, the stomach area was the main area for improvement suggested by my family, along with using less baggy tracksuit leggings (They tend to bunch up around the top of the thighs).

I wonder if I should make a scaling tutorial: I didn't have any problem at all with scaling, because I sized all the armour so it matched the in game model proportionally (did a pixel-to-height conversion) then determined what multiplier was right for my height, then applied it to all the pieces. It only took a couple of hours and it worked perfectly.

Hell, I could just turn it into an excel spreadsheet so people could have their scaling done in a matter of seconds!

An idea I've been having for making the abdomen for my suit is to use yoga mats which are flexible not sure if it will hold up though. EVA Foam is typically used for the abdomen.

An idea I've been having for making the abdomen for my suit is to use yoga mats which are flexible not sure if it will hold up though. EVA Foam is typically used for the abdomen.

I've been mainly using a very porous type of foam for padding. I'll probably use it for the abdomen too, so it'll be more breathable, and more flexible.
It shouldn't matter if it isn't that self supporting; I'll have it looped around the back and affixed to the motocross spine protector.

Awesome job! I love the paint and color choice.

Btw, for an ab section, you could use this file and make it out of foam. I used it with my own suit and it worked pretty well. http://www.4shared.com/file/Fuvk3yT5/JTM_Reach_Abdomen.html

Thanks for the link, I might use it as a general guide for the contours, although I'll mainly base it on this reference picture
I can just about make out those shapes from the pepakura file, but it may be easier to just freehand it (Saves trying to scale it too!)
Basically, it'll be 2 seperate layers of foam that roughly follow the bottom of the chest piece. I'll use a 3rd layer if I decide to have it going all the way up to the torso.

Shadow!!! So cool man! You have come a LONG way dude, great job!

Oh, and thanks for inspiring me as well... *salute*

Shadow!!! So cool man! You have come a LONG way dude, great job!

Oh, and thanks for inspiring me as well... *salute*

Glad to have helped! That is one awesome looking assault rifle you've made!

I dont know how I haven't seen this yet. This gets a 10/10 rating from me. Outstanding quality.

Thanks! I'm not suprised it not many people have seen it, I haven't been regularly updating it, and most of the progress on the armour was during the time in which the site was near constantly broken xD

Came home from uni for the weekend, updated my armour a bit...

Fixed the boot sections together, and glued a length of string to the toe piece to loop under the shoes' laces:
th_IMAG0270_zpsea2b7821.jpg th_IMAG0273_zps7036f594.jpg th_IMAG0272_zps5c8ab7ac.jpg

And as for the stomach looking plain...
th_IMAG0271_zps6f1f5595.jpg th_IMAG0274_zpsa8b0d2ba.jpg th_IMAG0279_zpsb6a83f72.jpg

Damn, foam is so much easier to work with, even without a template!

I was strongly considering making an 85% scale version, but It's 6 pages, which for me means another 5 ish hours of cutting and sticking. My page per hour ratio on average is just over 1, so I'm not sure if it's worth it. Where's the shrink ray when you need it!
The torso for my sons orbital chest is 23 pages.... but totally worth it.. love the build man looks great

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back