My First Build, Let's Start Small... (Jorge DONE, Heavy Machine Gun WIP, Pic Heavy)

Status
Not open for further replies.
oh man this is awesome! and someone who actually goes to fan expo!!! I hope i bump into you as some point.

Oh sweet, I can't wait to see what you do with THAT weapons system. I know I told you before but Great armor by the way.:)

Thanks for all the encouragement guys, and zacic I hope to see you there. Just look for the big yellow and green guy carrying the BFG.

I didn't have much time to work on it last night, but I started cutting out the next layer of foam. I haven't glued it on yet because I still need to cut out all those exhaust holes along the side. When I glue it on I'll probably used spray adhesive, because I've found that you can see where the hot glue is because it's so thick it raises the foam a little. If I was dealing with a smaller area and could apply the pieces before it started to cool I'm sure it wouldn't be as big of a problem, but I think a nice even spray would be more effective for keeping it looking smooth an uniform.

Yesterday I started looking into where I might find cardboard tubes to use for the back end, and someone online said that carpet stores would have rolls they just throw away. I asked my wife and she said that they get their posters (for a kids clothing store) in big cardboard tubes, but they just threw some out and they don't get them often. Does anyone have any other suggestions of where else might have tubes they'd just be recycling so I could get them for free? I can only find shipping tubes to buy in bulk online. Maybe I'll give the theater a call....

Picture Update

Well I think I have the front end done except for the little nub between the barrels. Still need to figure out what I'm going to use there.
This is the state it was in on Tuesday:
IMG_3147.jpg

This is what I did last night:
IMG_3149.jpg

The EVA foam isn't secured on yet, but I have both sides done, just need to do the top plates to connect them. There is going to be another layer of foam mat over part of the EVA for more detail. If the circle holes look wonky it's just my poorly drawn circle guides. I actually drilled some pretty perfect circles with my new rotary tool I got for christmas. I'll also be using it to smooth out some edges on those foam pieces. I think I may look for some of this stuff today to fill in some gaps.

Before working on anything I made a trip to the dollar store last night and picked up a new exacto blade (no more dull cutting!), some super glue, and rubber stoppers. I used the glue and robber stoppers for the rivets you see along the side. I used super glue on them because I doubted the adhesive on them would hold up for long. I also need to use the super glue for along the perforated holes. Despite the spray adhesive I applied, they keep popping up. I guess I did apply it very heavily to that area because other wise that glue has held up nicely. Once I do that I think I'll plastidip the body before I attach the EVA pieces.

I've called around to a bunch of places that I thought of that would have cardboard tubes, but none have any in at the moment. I guess everyone's just really good at recycling. I left my name and number with someone at the theater so that when they do get some they'll give me a call. I also put out a status update on facebook asking if anyone knew of somewhere I'd find one and my brother-in-law said he'd check his work today (he works at a factory) so that could kick start working on the back end.

I doubt anyone will read all that, I just really like talking about it. I know when I "read" threads I mainly look at the pretty pictures.

First off looking really nice so far. I can see in my head already that this is going to be an awesome build. Second I did read all that :). I like pretty pictures but have to read what the person behind the build is saying too :)

I think there are two reasons I like to write everything out: 1) For myself - it's like my journal to keep track of what I've done and to write down any ideas I have in case I forget later, and 2) for others - there have been more than a few times I've read through someone's thread and wondered how they did something, what tools or materials they used and they haven't said it. I know I can just ask, but sometimes it's an old thread, and some times I just don't want to sound like a pestering noob. I guess there is a third reason, and that is I just really like to talk about it. I'm sure I'll be "one of those" parents once I have kids.

But thanks, I appreciate that you care what I have to say.

It's good you do that. In my iron man project I tried to include everything I was doing (I will do an iron man eye tutorial at some point honest). Just a shame that when people need guidance on their projects they ask questions that could be answered if they read the thread first. Ah well that's the way it goes I guess. Keep up the good work and can't wait to see your next update. Might start my weapon soon but really undecided on which weapon to choose. I want something big like the spartan laser but don't like the fact it's shoulder mounted. Might use some of L3X's concept weapons rather than sticking to bungies.

Plastidip Clogging

This is gonna look awesome, love the expo video. Brilliant!

Thanks! Hopefully this year's video will be even better with this beast in my hands.

Ok, time to ask a question for the foaming community (that makes it sound like you have rabies...) : Do you ever have problems with cans of Plastidip clogging? I think I've only been able to get through one whole can, but even that had a few issues.

Last night I was trying to spray the base of my gun and it was really giving me a hard time. It got to the point where when I'd depress the nozzle absolutely nothing would happen. I tried all the tricks that the label said to: hold upside down and spray for 5 seconds, soak in mineral spirits for 30 mins, shake for a full minute before use and often during usage... still clogged.

Before leaving for work I put the nozzle in mineral spirits to soak all day, and even pour a bit onto the top of the can, in case that's where the clog is. It's very frustrating. They say not to stick a pin inside to try to clear it, but if this 10 hour soaking doesn't do it I don't know what else to do. Any other tips and tricks from people with experience with this?

Ok, time to ask a question for the foaming community (that makes it sound like you have rabies...) : Do you ever have problems with cans of Plastidip clogging? I think I've only been able to get through one whole can, but even that had a few issues.

Sorry bro no idea. I opted for paint on plastidip as its the cheaper option (plastidip is really expensive over here). As a guess though if it's just the nozzles blocking then maybe you can buy a bunch of cheap ones from a graffiti site as they normally sell packs of them. If its the main tube leading to the nozzle then I have not a clue and wish you all the luck of an answer from one of the elite foamists.

bad ass armor!!. nice scratch build Heavy machine gun!!!
Thanks, rx_bonz.

Sorry bro no idea. I opted for paint on plastidip as its the cheaper option (plastidip is really expensive over here). As a guess though if it's just the nozzles blocking then maybe you can buy a bunch of cheap ones from a graffiti site as they normally sell packs of them. If its the main tube leading to the nozzle then I have not a clue and wish you all the luck of an answer from one of the elite foamists.

Hm, I thought the paint on (or dip) plastidip was more expensive (at least I think it is here). Maybe I've seen something different than what you have. I'm thinking of writing them a letter letting them know I've had trouble. Maybe they'll send me a coupon or something.

I haven't had much time to work on it this week. My wife's car broke down so we were dealing with car juggling, and then yesterday we found something for her. There's also been a lot of stress at work, so I think it's been over a week since I did anything. This is the current state:
IMG_3200.jpg

(edit: Just noticed it looks warped, but that's just the camera.)
You can see the inconsistent plastidip job I did before I gave up on it. That white foam is all one piece that wraps around. It's not secured on the bottom yet (since the piece it's mounted on isn't being secured until plastidipping is done) so it's not going to be sticking out so far once it's glued. Aside from those finishing touches I think the construction on the front end is finished. That rounded square piece sitting one step down is inner end of the ammo box. That's the next step. Still waiting on a cardboard tube...

I had someone ask for the images I'm using for reference, so I thought I'd post them here so everyone can use them. Sorry photobucket really shrinks them down.
IMG_3132-1.jpg

IMG_3131-1.jpg

IMG_3129-1.jpg

IMG_3128-1.jpg

IMG_3123-1.jpg

And here's the image I used for my poster print out:
IMG_3128_scaled.jpg

And here's the link to that scaled image in a poster pdf.

Since we're now paying for a new car I'll be trying to save money whenever I can, so this build may take a little while. I think I have most of the materials already, but it's the plastidip that has set me back.

Loving wives FTW! Looks great Jonus. And thanks for the poster PDF buddy.:)

Wow, it's been a while since I've updated. I've become "one of those" posters. Well, I feel I have a pretty good excuse. There have been some big changes in my life in the past few months, the big three being that my wife and I bought a house, she got a new job, and then I lost my job and am now working from home. As you can imagine with moving to a new home I haven't had a lot of time to do any building. I have managed to put on a few more coats of plastidip on my gun, and it is starting too look very solid. The good thing about the new house is I have a garage all to myself! No more building in my old stairwell, or cutting cardboard on the living room coffee table. I have my own work area!

Fan Expo is next weekend, and I am nowhere near where I would want to be if I were to wear my armour to it. I might reuse another costume, like Thor or Leonidas (at least I'd still be dressed as a spartan). Oh well, that just means I should have an even more kick-ass costume for next year, since that's how long I have to continue working on it.

I'll post pics of the gun soon. As I said, I haven't done much, but the thich layers of plastidip really look awesome. I'm glad I got the dip/paint-on can instead of spray. It's doing a good job of sealing up some gaps.

Hey Jonus, congrats on the new house, but sorry to hear that you lost your job. It's a tough market right now, and I'm glad you wife found something. It's also very nice to have your own work-space, I recently moved out of my inlaw's house into a town house, losing my work-space.

I had been following your gun build in this thread, and hope you get to pick it back up!

One thing, there is a file on your first post, the Grenadier Shoulder, which you highly recommended, but the link is now dead. Just wondering what happened there. I know there are a few people who grudgingly left the site recently, and took their files with them, perhaps this was one of those files.

Anyway, glad to see you're back at it! Looking forward to great things!

Hey Jonus, congrats on the new house, but sorry to hear that you lost your job. It's a tough market right now, and I'm glad you wife found something. It's also very nice to have your own work-space, I recently moved out of my inlaw's house into a town house, losing my work-space.

I had been following your gun build in this thread, and hope you get to pick it back up!

One thing, there is a file on your first post, the Grenadier Shoulder, which you highly recommended, but the link is now dead. Just wondering what happened there. I know there are a few people who grudgingly left the site recently, and took their files with them, perhaps this was one of those files.

Anyway, glad to see you're back at it! Looking forward to great things!

Thanks, carpathia. I'm not sure what happened to that shoulder file. If I still have I could re-post it, but I wouldn't want to piss off the creator.

Here are some pics of the new space, and what little work I've done:
IMG_6368.jpg

It's a one car garage, so it's not huge, but there's enough room for me to work, plus off to the right there is a couch and a full size fridge. The desk is only temporary. I'm going to sand it down and refinish it, then I'll have to get, or build, a real work bench. You can see on it now I've started to get back into making my backpack.
IMG_6371.jpg

IMG_6372.jpg

I've been putting this layer on extra thick, which means I'll have to do some sanding later to even it out.
IMG_6373.jpg

See how well it's filling in those gaps between the layers of foam? Awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back