My Incredibly Noobish Cardboard Layered Magnum

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well then, maybe you can use varying thicknesses of cardboard and cardstock to make the details, like cereal boxes and such.

I go to a camp over the summer (i might be able to get into it over the February vacation) that has hot glue, and possibly (not likely) they have a dremel
any things i could do there to improve it?

Arbiter452 said:
I'm glad that this has potential, unlike my other builds… (no thanks to ImGonnaGetYou)

Oh, thanks for bringing me down. I feel compelled to give your stuff better ratings now, don't I?

Anyways, layering the details is a good idea, although sheet styrene may be more effective in the long run. Also, be sure to give some elbow room for detail adjustments, instead of filling in all available space with cardboard. However, you're already putting it together in smaller pieces, so adding indented details won't be nearly as hard.

Also a good idea would be to resin it before putting on the final outer layer, so that there isn't as much cardboard/styrene that can shift around without solid support. Not only will this provide an internal support to the finished product, but it will also let you use far less cardboard during construction.

Last edited by a moderator:
ImaGonnaGetYou said:
Oh, thanks for bringing me down. I feel compelled to give your stuff better ratings now, don't I?

Anyways, layering the details is a good idea, although sheet styrene may be more effective in the long run. Also, be sure to give some elbow room for detail adjustments, instead of filling in all available space with cardboard. However, you're already putting it together in smaller pieces, so adding indented details won't be nearly as hard.

Also a good idea would be to resin it before putting on the final outer layer, so that there isn't as much cardboard/styrene that can shift around without solid support. Not only will this provide an internal support to the finished product, but it will also let you use far less cardboard during construction.

Remember my SMG? You epically dissed that. it's trashed now. But remember that I said I wanted to spend NO money? So resin is right out.

Use the the hot glue method, and if you don't want to spend money, cut down a tin can so you don't have to melt down as many glue sticks. If you do it right it will look just as good as resin, but not as hard.

Arbiter452 said:
Remember my SMG? You epically dissed that. it's trashed now. But remember that I said I wanted to spend NO money? So resin is right out.

You can't finish anything without spending ANY money. You won't be able to detail, harden, smooth, waterproof, or protect the piece. Unless you find a free way to completely harden the weapon, it will just be a wad of glue and cardboard that anyone can easily bend.

Armoring = Money. There is also a chart which I'll dig up that tells you what you'll get for the amount of money/time/detailing you put into the piece.

Also, most crafting stores/Walmarts/K-Marts have hot glue for around $5 for a pack that will last you an entire suit (not that hot glue is recommended). If you need a hot glue gun also, you can get one for around $10 at the very most, although you'll want a small, low temperature one, which will cost around $7 at the most.

EDIT: Found teh chart.

solutionmatrix.jpg

Please note that cheap does not mean $0, or something ridiculously low like that.

I see your logic ImaGonnaGetYou. I'm leaving right now to get some cardstock, so I might buy a hot glue gun also.

Arbiter452 said:
Lol, you guys don't get it. My budget is 0$.
If there is a sign shop in your neighbourhood, just go dumpster diving for misprints.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back