My Son's Noble Spartan - NOW COMPLETE - Pic Heavy

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know about any other 405thers, but I myself give you a loud round of applause (clap-clap-clap)! Your work isn't only amazing, but inspiring. Your son as well as yourself must be proud!

Seth

Thanks a bunch, Seth. I appreciate that a lot and yes. . . . my son is very proud of his "armor". I just keep looking at it and my OCD kicks in thinking I could've done better. . . . LOL. Proud of what I've accomplished, but always thinking I could have done it better. :)

Man im gone for a little while and you go and post some more awesomeness, thanks a lot :p

lol Your sons armor is rockin and rollin dude. I bet he is super stoked right now :)

He definitely is. He wants to wear it to school. . . . . LOL! I don't think that it would go over well if he did. Thanks for the compliments. Much obliged!

That is just awesome. I love the under-suit look and the lighting is very impressive.

Thanks, Thorn. I took a look at those pics you put up and love them. Great job.

UPDATE!!!!!!!!

First off . . . . Thanks to the mods /admin and everyone else for working so hard to get the site back up and going as quickly as you could. I missed this place. Hopelessly addicted maybe even a little. . . . LOL

OK. So, I still haven't got the boots started, but I did manage to build a magnum while the site was down. Here's the pics of my process with that one.

DSCF7254.jpg

th_DSCF7257.jpgth_DSCF7256.jpg

I started off thinking I'd carve something, but never could find a foam that I wanted to try to carve. I fell back on what I did for the combat knife on the second try. I used foam board in the center for rigidity. I sandwiched that between two pieces of the regular foam flooring. Then, I wrapped the outside of the whole thing with 3mm foam sheet to cover up the foam board. That was the base. Once I was there, I added 3mm foam sheets and other pieces of foam flooring to it for detail work. Here's the pics before paint. . . .
DSCF7272.jpg

th_DSCF7273.jpgth_DSCF7271.jpg

Here's what it came out looking like once I cleaned up some of the lines and painted it.
DSCF7291.jpg

th_DSCF7288.jpgth_DSCF7289.jpgth_DSCF7293.jpg

After I made this, I found out that it is an older version of the magnum and not a Reach version that I had intended on making. Oh well, chalk it up to never playing the game. . . LOL!!!!!! Maybe next time I'll know. After I made it, I figured what good is a pistol without a holster to put it in. Actually, what I was really thinking is. . . . . "I know he is going to get tired of carrying this on Halloween and I'm going to wind up having to carry what he doesn't want to. So, I better make something to put it in". . . . . Here's the holster that I came up with.

DSCF7297.jpg
DSCF7298.jpg

th_DSCF7299.jpgth_DSCF7300.jpg

As I've hit the image maximum, I'm continuing this in a second post. . . . So, sorry for the double-post in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Continued from previous post. . . . . .

It's all made out of foam flooring pieces. I found it rather easy to make, but it looks funky I think, because of the way the magnum has that little piece that goes in front of the fingers. Made it a bit difficult to make a holster that could be drawn out easily too. Oh well . . . I mounted it to the right thigh with velcro.

DSCF7304.jpg

DSCF7306.jpg
DSCF7307.jpg

It's on their pretty good and since it is all foam, it's light weight and not going to pull off unless he rips it off on purpose. . . LOL.

I don't know if anyone else has done a magnum like this out of the foam, but after doing it, I figured out a couple of other things that I could've done to make it look a little better using this method. For a stunt prop, it works great though. I don't have to worry about him tearing it up or anything, and he doesn't have to be careful with it at all. I think it only took me about 2 1/2 - 3 hours to make it doing it this way, and that was stumbling through it. Now that I did it once, if I have to make another, it won't take but maybe an hour at the most to get it ready for paint.

It doesn't seem like a lot or much of an update I suppose, but I've been really busy pulling extra hours at work lately and haven't had a lot of time. I am hoping that in the next week, I'll be able to get the boots started and ready for paint. Not sure how that will work out right now, but that's the plan anyways.

I hope y'all enjoy and like what I've got done with the weapons. As always . . . all comments, suggestions and criticism is welcome. That's how we get better. Until next time, Keep Building and Make it FUN!!!!

Dude thats rightious! I love the magnum and the holster man, great job :)

And yeah him wearing his armor to school would be awesome, but your right, i doubt the staff would approve *shakes fist* blast it all lol

I actually really love that magnum. What I love about it is the fact that it looks like it was fairly simple to build and still very effective visually! I'll be honest though that I'm not too crazy about the holster (it blocks too much of the incredible detail on the thigh), but the gun is fantastic.

Dude thats rightious! I love the magnum and the holster man, great job :)

And yeah him wearing his armor to school would be awesome, but your right, i doubt the staff would approve *shakes fist* blast it all lol

LOL! That's what I was thinking about him wearing to school also. . . and thanks for the compliment.

Love the sidearm, it looks great and was the perfect accessory for this build.

Thanks, Thorn. I appreciate that. DO you have any close ups of how you did your thigh rig for the magnum that you made? Is it just a single strap mounted to the thigh? Thinking of redoing the whole holster bit.

I agree with Thorn, it compliments this build nicely and looks really good, well done :)

Thank you kindly, sir.

I actually really love that magnum. What I love about it is the fact that it looks like it was fairly simple to build and still very effective visually! I'll be honest though that I'm not too crazy about the holster (it blocks too much of the incredible detail on the thigh), but the gun is fantastic.

First, thanks for the compliment and the criticism on the holster. It means a lot. I wasn't too keen on the whole holster thing either, but never could find a picture of what they may use as a holster. I think in one screen shot that I had found, it was just dangling there like magic. . . . LOL! Since I don't have magic on my side, I had to come up with something. I'm looking at maybe reworking it into a skeleton type holster, but not sure how I could work that out without covering up the thigh's details again. I may try just a strap and see how well it holds it all in place. Thanks again!

First, thanks for the compliment and the criticism on the holster. It means a lot. I wasn't too keen on the whole holster thing either, but never could find a picture of what they may use as a holster. I think in one screen shot that I had found, it was just dangling there like magic. . . . LOL! Since I don't have magic on my side, I had to come up with something. I'm looking at maybe reworking it into a skeleton type holster, but not sure how I could work that out without covering up the thigh's details again. I may try just a strap and see how well it holds it all in place. Thanks again!

I always thought that the armor magnatized the weapon to the itself. Hence the magical look lol. :) so maybe in the future you might try some of that type of magnet magic. I plan on doing that with my stuff evetually :)

for my thigh rig I took a copper pipe hanger, inserted a dole, and put a thin bolt thru it. Then I added a old rubber disc I found for a base. From there I used 2 screws to attach it to the thigh and ran the strap under it. Here's the pic.

IMAG1042_zps9b93b1ca.jpg

the barrel sit's right on the bolt and will hold there all day. The strap was added just as a extra bit of security. I hope this helps.

Side note: A real fast draw holster will have just a nub and a molded back rest so that the weapon comes out in one fluid motion. :cool

I don't mean to criticize too much, you know I love this build, and the holster looks good for what it is. My problem with is is that the rest of the suit is so game accurate, then there's the holster. I like the idea of a skeletal holster, but one thing you might want to look into is neodymium magnets (or rare earth magnets). This is what quite a few people use on various parts of their armor and it is one way to achieve that "dangling there like magic" effect, without sacrificing any visual aesthetics. The magnets can still be installed into the armor and gun without too much modification. Just food for thought.

I remember back when I was working on my Carter build, and did the 3D model for the knife. The first sheath I developed for it was an overly simple, sliced version that looked nothing like the game model. When I went back and spent a little more time and put out the new more game-accurate sheath, it improved the knife ten-fold. I think that the same thing could happen with this build. As awesome as it is now, the pistol at your son's side in full view would complete the outfit perfectly.

I always thought that the armor magnatized the weapon to the itself. Hence the magical look lol. :) so maybe in the future you might try some of that type of magnet magic. I plan on doing that with my stuff evetually :)

Magnet magic ahoy!!! LOL. I haven't found any magnets that I can use locally. May have to put in an internet order to get those. Thanks for the info.

for my thigh rig I took a copper pipe hanger, inserted a dole, and put a thin bolt thru it. Then I added a old rubber disc I found for a base. From there I used 2 screws to attach it to the thigh and ran the strap under it. Here's the pic.

the barrel sit's right on the bolt and will hold there all day. The strap was added just as a extra bit of security. I hope this helps.

Side note: A real fast draw holster will have just a nub and a molded back rest so that the weapon comes out in one fluid motion. :cool

Pic and info definitely helps, Thorn. I appreciate it greatly. I'm looking at a couple things right now and you have pointed me in the right direction. And on the fast draw holsters. . . I use holsters everyday but they're security holsters so I don't lose my weapon. . . LOL. I can get it out and an accurate shot on target center mass in about 1.5 seconds though. Just don't have any fast draw holsters at home as reference. :p I had been looking at some of the competition holsters that people use, but I haven't figured out how to make something like that work for the magnum shape yet.

I don't mean to criticize too much, you know I love this build, and the holster looks good for what it is. My problem with is is that the rest of the suit is so game accurate, then there's the holster. I like the idea of a skeletal holster, but one thing you might want to look into is neodymium magnets (or rare earth magnets). This is what quite a few people use on various parts of their armor and it is one way to achieve that "dangling there like magic" effect, without sacrificing any visual aesthetics. The magnets can still be installed into the armor and gun without too much modification. Just food for thought.

I remember back when I was working on my Carter build, and did the 3D model for the knife. The first sheath I developed for it was an overly simple, sliced version that looked nothing like the game model. When I went back and spent a little more time and put out the new more game-accurate sheath, it improved the knife ten-fold. I think that the same thing could happen with this build. As awesome as it is now, the pistol at your son's side in full view would complete the outfit perfectly.

I know you're not being over critical, Carpathiavh. I really do appreciate your opinion on the holster and everything, because it's good info to have and can help me to improve the build. I looked into the magnet stuff on other people's build before when I was researching everything in the early stages. I looked around locally to see about them but found none. I would have to put in an order online for them to get any. The only thing I was worried about was that the neodymium magnets are pretty stout. With the magnum being made of foam, I didn't want it to pull apart when he tried to take it off of his leg. . . . LOL :p Again, much appreciated info. Thanks a bunch.

Oh! Something completely off subject. . . . With the site changes are they going to give us a theme color choice again? Figured I'd ask.

Info Update

After spending about two hours scaling to my kiddos shoes, I have a template to start the boots. It took forever to cut out the sole of it so I had the treads for it right. Now, I couldn't make a template for everything, so a lot of it will be a scratch build based on the Dawn Under Heaven boot file that I have. That file is a full boot with a sole pattern. Hopefully over the next couple days I can get one mocked up for review by everyone. Wish me luck. . . LOL!

Again, thanks to everyone with suggestions and comments. They are all appreciated. Until next time, Keep Building and Make It FUN!!!!

Oh! Something completely off subject. . . . With the site changes are they going to give us a theme color choice again? Figured I'd ask.

I know that Adam and Spase are working on a new format for the forums so that everything will be better accessible and will include a number of forums dedicated to things that once existed and are now missing (Reference section, Tutorial section, etc). So, I would imagine that a number of skins will be developed. We're currently back to the default vBulletin skin since the malware crept in through the custom skin colors we had before, so we'll see what happens there.

Cool, now we get to see what the boot's should look like.:cool

:p Thanks, Thorn. I hope I don't disappoint when I get something together.

I know that Adam and Spase are working on a new format for the forums so that everything will be better accessible and will include a number of forums dedicated to things that once existed and are now missing (Reference section, Tutorial section, etc). So, I would imagine that a number of skins will be developed. We're currently back to the default vBulletin skin since the malware crept in through the custom skin colors we had before, so we'll see what happens there.

Cool! :cool I didn't know that the malware thing came in through the skin colors. Thanks for the info.

JUST FYI. . . . .

For anyone building costumes for their kiddos. Make sure that you don't choose their favorite pair of shoes to make the boots. . . . . LOL!!!!!!! I had every intention of doing a mock up this morning when I came home, and start gluing stuff together. I had asked him last night to wear a different pair of shoes to school today, BUT he obviously had other plans with those shoes that I need today. :p Since I based the sole off the shoes he has on his feet today, I can't really do anything until I can get my hands on his shoes. SO, note to self. . . . . LOCK THEM UP SO HE CAN'T WEAR THEM. LOL!

Hopefully I'll have some progress for y'all tomorrow.

Update with Pics!!!!

I've still got some stuff to do with it, but this is what I came up with.

DSCF7352.jpg
DSCF7351.jpg
DSCF7349.jpg

DSCF7362.jpg

th_DSCF7357.jpgth_DSCF7358.jpgth_DSCF7359.jpgth_DSCF7360.jpgth_DSCF7361.jpgth_DSCF7353.jpgth_DSCF7354.jpgth_DSCF7355.jpg

I figured I would use some craft foam in a couple other places, like the little boxes on the outside of the front part, to make it look a little better there. The foamies I used on the toe cap area were a pain in the yoohoo!!!!!!!!!! It took me forever to get that piece looking half way decent. I don't think I like scratch building. . . . :p I think that these are going to make him look like a Sasquatch though. . . . . LOL!! They are huge! I wear a 9 1/2 and I can almost walk around in them and he only wears a kid's 3. LOL!!!!! Oh well.

To keep it proportionate I had to build the sole up with two layers of foam so he'll gain an inch to an inch and a half in height also. I left it to where it can hinge close to the middle so I can get his shoe in and out easily, and it closes with a velcro strap over his instep. The piece that is on the back of the heel is glued on the outside and then velcros to the inside part over the instep strap that is velcroed down, so I'm hoping that everything is secure well enough to walk around in for an extended period of time. This one is the right boot. . . . . I still have the left one to do and then I can paint everything and I guess wrap up the build entirely to get ready for my own. After I came up with something on this one, I made a pattern for the next boot, so I'm hoping that one will go a little smoother and quicker.

Hope all this makes sense. . . . I'm in a hurry because I've got to get ready to go pick up my kiddo so I can take him to a Ranger's game tonight. Just wanted to put something up to show my progress. Hope y'all like and let me know what you think. Until next time. . . . Keep Building and Make It FUN!!!!

Amazing work with everything so far. As to further carpathia's magnet idea, the magnets in this pic are from Wal-Mart.
CQBpics042.jpg

I found them in the craft section. I want to say they were three or four dollars a pack. They are what I used on my torso to hold the chest and back together. They aren't overly powerful but will give you enough strength I feel to hold the gun on his thigh without issue. Either way you go, it'll still be great. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back