need advice-Halo ODST build

Arcane

Hi all,

I'm currently working on Mt odst armor from the armory. I'm using the chest foam template at default proportions, which fit great except for the head slot, which I trimmed down to fit. The problem is, the template for the collar no longer fits and I'm not quite sure how measure and draw a new one(since this piece builds differently). Any advice? Thanks!
20230714_031027.jpg

(I know the seams and cuts are terrible here. It's my first armor piece ever and I'm hoping I can smooth it out with putty later)

Last edited:
It's gonna be a little tricky, but this may be a good time to learn how to freehand draw some patterns! It's a good skill to have because you can adapt pattern pieces (like the collar) to suit, or draw up entirely new pieces.

I'll say that I actually am not sure which part of the chest is the collar, so I'm not sure what it looks like. But for this pattern, you'll likely just need some paper and tape (masking tape is good). Stick the paper down onto your foam, and make sure it is at least as large as the collar you need to make. Sketch on what you need, and don't be afraid to take it off and start again. Once you have a pattern you are happy with, determine how thick it is, and then like you've already done, trace it onto the foam and cut it out. Don't worry if you need to do it a few times to get it right - it's all part of the process!

The collar is the part that sticks "up" and covers the neck. I did already try some freehand patterns for the sides, and it turned out pretty good, but the collar is kinda weird because of the way the foam needs to be cut. Thanks for the advice!

This thread is more than 9 months old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back