New year, New suit

::update:: 5/1/23

Small and lengthy update. Lol. Got a lot of little things done. Got the biceps painted and Velcro-ed so that they will attach to my shoulder harness. Which I was given the idea by a fellow 405th member at planet Comic-Con. I apologize for not remembering his name. A lot has happened since then.

View attachment 330805
View attachment 330806
View attachment 330811
View attachment 330810
View attachment 330812
View attachment 330813

Then I got the magnet setup and painting done on my thighs. I can attach the pistol to either thigh with no problem. I’m think about printing grenades to attach to the other hip. Like how they were displayed in halo 3.
View attachment 330804View attachment 330807View attachment 330808View attachment 330809

And with that the wrists are the next thing in the works. I can’t 100% decide if I want to do the grapple attachment for it or not. I have an idea on how I would get the magnets to work for it, but can’t decide if I want to right now.

More updates to come
This looks great! Are you reinforcing your prints with anything? I’ve seen some people use fiberglass resin on the inside. I’m thinking of doing the same for my suit but I know it adds a lot of weight. The color pops! I’ll stay tuned to see if complete

This looks great! Are you reinforcing your prints with anything? I’ve seen some people use fiberglass resin on the inside. I’m thinking of doing the same for my suit but I know it adds a lot of weight. The color pops! I’ll stay tuned to see if complete
I use fiberglass resin to smooth layer lines of smaller prints like the biceps and forearms. But things that could take a beating, like the chest, helmet, and legs, I resin the outside to smooth and resin reinforce with mesh on the inside. So a mix of both on big parts. Also helps keep weight evenly distributed. Thanks man! I’m trying to yo my game with each turn. Seeing other suits in person always gives me more ideas.

::update:: 5/16/23

Been awhile everyone. I’ve been up to my ears in busy stuff. But I have been keeping up with my suit here and there. I’ve completed the other shoulder and both my forearms. Got a couple grenades made, a plasma grenade and an frag. And started some work on my power staff.

IMG_2074.jpeg

IMG_2054.jpeg
IMG_2057.jpeg
IMG_2058.jpeg

To try and get that rough texture on the grenade, before I painted it I primed it with truck bed liner. Works like a charm, and it helps hide layer lines. And now the inside can break but it won’t fall apart. I also added a magnet to the side that way I can carry it in my hip.
IMG_2083.jpeg

Then came the plasma grenade. Primed it in solid matte black spray paint and then I used color **** spray paint to give it that covenant metal shine. I then hand painted the detail colors. I’m a little shakey it I got it good enough. I also added magnets to this too. Hint hint. It’s the green dots. Lol
IMG_2059.jpeg

IMG_2060.jpeg
IMG_2037.jpeg

And then here is the laid out finished stuff. I’m going to see if I can make a mannequin to display it on. Just got figure that out.
IMG_2075.jpeg

Now a side note: at planet comic con, I went and had a 3D scan done by 3DHQ in my armor. Just got the statue today, and boy howdy is it awesome!!
IMG_2081.jpeg
IMG_2082.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_2032.jpeg
    IMG_2032.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 69
OOOH It's coming along! I love that mini statue, whish I could have one of me lol!

::update:: 5/24/23

Holy… crap!!! This turned out way better than anticipated! My power ranger power trident staff is done, and boy is it beautiful! I took loads of time on this. Used a 5ft stick of schedule 80 electrical pvc conduit for rigidity. Glue and sanded the crap out of the parts. And then I bondo spot puttied the crap out of the tridents top. Sooooo smooth. I used a free file I found on thingiverse and just printed some extra grip pieces to make the staff bottom. Oh boy this will tie in nicely with my armor. Oh and Fallen im tagging you because I thought you’d wanna see.
IMG_2086.jpeg

IMG_2088.jpeg

IMG_2106.jpeg

I also started in on my shins. Got them sanded and prime coated. Then I put a base layer of some silver so that when I get it completely painted in the white and blue, I’ll come through with some sandpaper and make the weather on it.
IMG_2089.jpeg

IMG_2107.jpeg

Once these are complete I will have another picture.

Just casually looking at the upcoming cons rosters to see when the next con is we're both attending to get to see this completed in person. Blue ranger = best ranger.

::update:: 5/29/23
Happy memorial day!

Just a small update. Got my shins and knees done. The weathering didn’t go 100% to plan but I did get a little done to it. Overall, I’m super satisfied. Got them both padded and fitted. So now the only thing left really is my boots. Troubleshooting those has always proven to be my worst pieces. Lol. But I’m going to try. I’m going to use the rakshasa boots design from Aguilar. The working components and straps seem to be a simple make.

IMG_2112.jpeg

IMG_2120.jpeg

::update:: 5/31/23

More of just an update on test fit for my whole leg. I need opinions and feedback. I tried on my whole right leg minus the boot (haven’t even started yet…) with the undersuit pants I plan to wear with it. I feel like there is some room for improvement but I’m not sure where. I have long bird legs and there are some empty spaces I do want to fill for detail. Specifically the back of the knee area. When my new 3D printer with direct drive comes in, I’m thinking I’ll print a rubber undersuit piece for the back of my knee. Just a small one wall sleeve type thing that is super flexible. Thoughts? Ideas? I can’t sew worth a damn so I can’t make one out of clothe. Or does it look good as is? I also have some charcoal grey pants, just in case I wanted to change the undersuit color too. Please let me know your ideas. Thanks everyone!!! This has been a great project to do

Oh and the boots will be primarily white since it’s the bottom of the power ranger boot

IMG_2128.jpeg
IMG_2127.jpeg

Hmm if you're looking for honest feedback I think making a taller shin wouldn't hurt. There's quite a bit of space even on the front that you'd want to fill with an under suit. Either way, making an under suit would do you good! I don't have experience with printed under suits so I can't give feedback there. Looks great dude!

::update:: 6/12/23

Small post here. Been really busy as of late. Wedding Colorado to prepare for, work stuff, then of course being a dad to a 4 month old…

I got my gloves done. Using aguilars print file for rakshasa gloves, I resin printed the knuckle pieces for a more stable and durable print, then just filament printed the top. Gave it a splash of the white and blue theme, and whammy… done. I’ll test fit my whole arm some time soon and upload a photo.
IMG_2158.jpeg
IMG_2159.jpeg

Then I got the concept art done for my boots. Also provided by Aguilar. I will be resin printing the toe tips just so they don’t break easy. Then I’m contemplating printing the boot pieces in tpu that way they bend and flex when I walk. But I have decided yet. Here’s he concept.
IMG_0018.jpeg

Let me know what you all think. Thank guys/gals

Hmm if you're looking for honest feedback I think making a taller shin wouldn't hurt. There's quite a bit of space even on the front that you'd want to fill with an under suit. Either way, making an under suit would do you good! I don't have experience with printed under suits so I can't give feedback there. Looks great dude!
I think I agree with n8tebb about the short shin, though maybe it makes it more comfortable to move around in? An extra 2 inches at the bottom and moving it up might look better.

I use knee pads which give be a bit more thickness I'm between the pieces Instead of a dedicated undersuit. (And you can mount the knee caps onto those)

What gloves are you using? Anything notable or just commodity black gloves? Looks great by the way!

::update:: 6/17/23

Not a huge build update, but I did do something cool I think. I build a pvc mannequin for my armor when it’s not in use

Using 1” pvc and several couplers of various types. I got this thing put together. Could use some mods to better hold the bicep/shoulders, but right now, basics work.
IMG_2198.jpeg

IMG_2201.jpeg

::update:: 7/11/23

Ok. It has been a minute for sure. But I have had A LOT going on recently. Personal life exploded essentially. Found out I have a half sister, who then reached out, and that turned into a whole ordeal with my other sister. Drama drama. Then I had surgery to have my gallbladder removed. Which I’m still in recovery from. So I haven’t got a huge update. Just a couple things.

First, I did get one boot complete for my armor set. Somehow the blue is a little off. Even though I bought the same exact paint I’ve been using… batch codes maybe? But I think that it’s far enough away from the others that it won’t matter.

Nothing is glued to the shoe itself, that way if I decided to use a different shoe or boot I can. Thanks to Aguilars magnificent design and planning, it’s all held together with elastic strap. I used the rakshasa boot design because of its rugged look and the straps just add some pop to it. Cant decide if should dirty up the straps more or not though.
IMG_2243.jpeg

IMG_2242.jpeg

But then, based on some comments I got about my current shins, I am trying a concept for the regular mk7 shins. I’m going to do a test print and fit to see which I like better. Using procreate I made the concepts up. Tell me your thoughts and ideas?
IMG_0024.jpeg

IMG_0023.jpeg

IMG_0022.jpeg

::update:: 7/14/23

Well with all my recovery time here at home, I was able to get two shins printed. And then you guessed it… they are painted. With much gripe from my wife for not being completely bed ridden during recovery, they are done. I will do a full foam test fit of the legs once I’m back to 100%. But here they are.

Pictures are pre graphite powder and post graphite powder.

IMG_2282.jpeg
IMG_2283.jpeg
IMG_2284.jpeg
IMG_2285.jpeg
IMG_2286.jpeg

This thread is more than 3 months old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back