No1laserjocks First MKVI started

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Fedgunner

I like your handle....

This is my first Pepakura project and I probably should've picked the low-res armor as a first project. Oh well. Definitely message me if you need help with the Scaling. I am still getting used to it myself but I have found a couple things that may help which I will post below for others too.

Left and Right Thighs done!

HD MKVI Left and Right Thighs (Spartan-sized) Modeled by Crackhead09 and Unfolded by Ral Partha
Right HD Thigh:
Scale =.886338 H=355 W=208 D=221
Left HD Thigh:
Scale= .886338 H=355 W=208 D=221

After allowing myself to get too excited, and taking a hasty measurement, I made a thigh that was too small. So three pieces later I have a right and left that should fit.
BootstoThighsLR.jpg

Its nice to see it all turning into a suit. Even if it is only paper at the moment.

Measuring:

Again, I am sticking with Halogoddess' technique:
http://www.405th.com/showthread.php...re-Tutorial?highlight=pepakura+scaling+sizing

I have expanded the number of measurements to get a better "feel" for sizing. If I can get one point across, it is that you must develop a good feel, sense, educated guess or whatever you want to call it for measuring.

What I have been doing is measuring around the thickest part of the limb that will wear the armor piece with a cloth tape.

CircumferencePoints-1.png

For instance, I measured around (the circumference)the thick part of my thigh a couple inches below my crotch. My Thighs are about 20 Inches around. The thickness of my thigh front to back (Depth) and left to right (Width) is more or less represented by a cylinder shape, as are my other limbs. Now I need to know what that thickness (diameter) is so:

20-Inches / PI (3.1415) = 6.36 Inches in Diameter (a circular representation of width and depth in this case)

I'll need to add 2 inches for padding, glass, rondo etc.: 6.36 (6.36" = 161.544mm) +2"= 8.36" inches. So I now know that WIDTH and Depth in Pepakura need to average out somewhere around here (8.36 inches or 212.344mm).

I am going with Height as the final number but I want to get "a feel" for all dimensions. I am looking for a reference to see if the fit will be "about right": So 8.36 inches X 25.4 = 212.344 mm in diameter (approximately width and depth)
Now, I entered this as a width value Pepakura. Be warned that a right piece may have its depth and width reversed as compared to a left piece.

We see a width of 208 mm and Depth of 221 (Avereage = 208+221/2)=214.5 So I know that my thigh which is about 161mm on average will fit in the width and depth with room to spare for padding (214.5 - 161.5 = 53 mm /25.4 = 2.08" inches for padding etc.)
ScaleThigh.jpg

Now that I know my leg will fit with padding in width and depth, I need to figure height. Here I use Halogoddess guidelines for height. On the first one I took ONLY the height.
That didn't work out with respect to width and depth for me. After applying this technique to measure myself, I think they are working out much better. I had to "stab at" a height selection knowing that I may have to cut paper out or add it in. So far, I may have to trim the bottom of the thighs just a bit... MAYBE!

Pepakura scales proportionally so changing any value changes all the others. This leaves us with three choices:

1. Go back to the original 3D model and custom adjust for width. depth and height prior to unfolding in Pepakura. (The most difficult and elegant solution)
2. Get a "feel" for the needed size by incorporating as many measurement data points (and or scaling and sizing techniques) as possible prior to picking a workable scale. (I think we are all here)
3. Get close to the right size in Pepakura, cut, fold and glue then modify the piece to fit by cutting paper out or adding paper in. (I think this is necessary too)

After thinking about this, I do not think there is a standard. For instance Drgnfyre4's project
http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/22558-Drgnfyre4-Mk-Vi-Progress-Thread

Really AWESOME BTW! His required some custom expansion of his pieces. He appears to be a big, beefy dude. Obviously, the proportion of his thighs is NOT going to match any scaling system here, since the files all scale proportionally. I am fortuneate to be evenly proportioned (5'-9" 165-170 lbs) so the basic scaling sizing from Halogoddess works pretty well for me-IF I take my time and measure again, then again, and again.

Measure at least three times (OR MORE!!!) and cut fold and glue once! However, I KNOW that there will be another snag. I am about to build the codpiece so I am sure this will be interesting, educational and frustrating. LOL

I'm sure I'll be back to edit this again...

Hours committed: About 75

Codpiece Done!

Model by Crackhead09 Unfolded by Ral Partha

Scale= 2.159 H= 300 W= 358 D= 328

After 2 attempts I think I got it about right. The first one suggested I had monstrous endowment. I'd like people to focus on my helmet and suit NOT my crotch LOL.
MKVICodpiece.jpg

I have been talking a good game about measuring for Pepakura. I followed my own advice and remeasured again and again. Then I slept on it.
The next morning I had a "AH HA!" moment. I realized that there was a support brace that ran across the codpiece Pep Model from about hip to hip; the widest spot. I thought, "If I print out just that support it should confirm the width aspect of my measurement. Everything was wonderful until I installed THAT brace... ...I printed the WRONG ONE... !DOH!

Now that I am this far along, I think it is our lot to modify, Pep and re-Pep parts until we get them to fit right.

To be honest, I have entertained giving up on this. I have been getting really frustrated as I have committed over 85 hours to: 2 boots, 3 calves, 3 thighs, and 2 codpieces. WAH WAH WAH!!!!! Oh, see the tears melting my Pep work...

NO! I have not yet begun to fight! I will strengthen my resolve!

Well, the chest is next... I wonder how many of those I will have to make?

Before I forget, I really struggled with trying to visualize this codpiece as a single piece. After reading more (Can't read too much on the 405th BTW), I realized that the Codpiece is often split up and attached to a belt which will then support the straps for the thighs etc. So having realized that, I modified the braces on my 2nd effort, so the unit would follow the shape of my body better, when cut up and attached to the belt.

In some ways, I wish I had lurked a little longer before jumping into this. Then on the other hand, I didn't want to get bogged down in "paralysis of analysis", and never start.

Time to research the Chest Piece measurement again...

Hours Committed: About 85

Flying Squirl's MKVI Torso and more on Measuring Scaling Sizing.

Well, I have spent about 8 hours going over and over my measurements for Flying Squirls HD MKVI Torso/chest Piece. I have discovered some more measurement tricks and Tutorials like this excellent one by Xtreme TACTICS 101:

http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/25588-How-to-Scale-Your-Armour-Tutorial-V.2

I was going to build supertacos chest tester but read somewhere on here that it may just confuse the issue. I started scotch-taping one together and then I thought. "There has GOT to be a way to get really close without all this hassle!" So I am going to "go for it" and hope I do not have to re do it... {Yeah, right LOL}

So here is what I came up with and I think it could be applied to most armor pieces in the MKVI HD Family.

First You'll need Robogenesis' LD MKVI Files that are Masterchief's Scaling at 86.0

Get 'em (and ALL the supported HALO PEP FILES) here: http://www.4shared.com/file/ZwVUTUEJ/405th_Pep_Pack_17.html

Second You'll need your Masterchief Picture.

Third you'll need all the measurements you can get of yourself, especially the height, width and depth volume of your torso + (approx) 2 inches for padding etc.

Basically, I measured and scaled using EVERY method. There are three (that I have found so far):

Halogoddess' Tutorial:
1. http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/31627-HaloGoddess-quot-How-To-Scale-quot-and-More-Tutorial

Xtreme Tactics 101's Tutorial:
2. http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/25588-How-to-Scale-Your-Armour-Tutorial-V.2
This covers all three methods but READ THEM ALL OVER AND OVER!

Frizzlefrys Tutorial:
3.http://www.405th.com/showthread.php...aling-thread?highlight=Pepakura+scaling+armor

Mroreo123's Tool:
http://www.405th.com/showthread.php...urement-Tool?highlight=Pepakura+scaling+armor
This one didn't work too well for me but maybe it works good for others...

Basically, I used all the techniques to get a set of measurements that I could enter into the scaling of Pepakura designer. Some scaling systems use height, others use width, others use Masterchief's scale factor of 86.0 as the base, and others use a scale number to multiply by based on a photograph.

I examined Robogenesis MKVI torso using the percentage of height calculation against Flying Squirls MKVI HD Torso, using 2 open Pepakura Windows, so I could compare scales back and forth. What I discovered when I averaged all of my measurements, was that the basic parameters of Height Width and Depth, in both open copies of Pepakura were all closely in agreement. The difference between the two files (The MKVI LD Torso by Robogenesis and the HD MKVI Torso by Flying Squirl) was only about 10mm-15mm; that is only about 1/2"!

Now, what I did was apply ALL of the scaling techniques and measuring I could do using the above methods. I averaged everything out and then made the best educated guess I could.

Again, I have resigned myself to the fact that I am going to have to cut and modify the Torso to fit. The thing is there is a support brace that connects the bottom of the torso's left and right sides together. That part of the armor is narrower than that part of my body. If I scale it up so it is not, the Torso is WAAAAY too wide at the shoulders. I'll just have to build it and see. So I'll be back with the results...

hey real good job i am just a little bit farther along on my suit then you are but we both did the same thing by using hi-res files.
great work

WOW...you have a great page set up going here. You're pepping skills are great and you're build is coming along very well.

Wow! Very nice pep work man! You seem very enthusiastic and optimistic and I like that! I was really excited to start my armor and the first piece I pepped was the helmet lol! It came out enormous so I'm remaking it right now. The second piece I made was a HD chest piece and I PRAY that it will fit because I really don't want to remake that! Anyways good luck on your project!

Hey rickrtickr, thorn696 and aero

Thanks! It is really great to see people visiting my thread! I just checked out all your work and everyone is really dedicated and skilled that is doing this.
I really need to post an inspiration list here. I wish I kept track of all the pages I visited in notepad to follow similar builds, so I could post them all here.

Great job so far, I like how you explain how your scaling this stuff this definatly could help out people who are new to pep and have a hard time with scaling. Hope to see more from you soon

Thanks aero!

Truth be told, the chest has been a bit intimidating. I DO NOT want to make it again! It seems like the details of the folds in the MKVI HD files are exponentially increasing in complexity and number as I build out the upper body. Some of the details I think I will add in with foamcore and or foamies. We'll see. I was working on this (the suit) for about 12 hours a day for a good while. Then I got into a slump...

We all get into the "slump" from time to time. This is a very time consuming hobby, and every now and then you just need to back off and take a breath. That said looking at you're work this HD chest plate should give you no real problems, and/or the more you're do in pep the less you have to do in final detail stages. Good luck and keep us posted.

Thanks AKDOV and Thorn696!

Well I am about 3/4s done with the chest / torso. I am pleased that my scaling seems to have worked pretty well. The piece is a bit too small / tight around the midriff / ribs area from what I can tell. I think If I went any larger it would extend beyond my shoulders too much. This is a case where I am so close that I could redo it or modify the paper. So I think I will roll the inside edge in more around the lower part and trim a bit away. That will buy me about an inch. Also, to buy another inch, so this is not digging into my sides I am going to split the paper down the front and back center line and add about an inch bit back in, then add the details in these areas. Fortuneately, this particular file lends itself very well to such a modification. I think it''ll look just fine in the end.

As an aside, I find that I am getting really obsessed about the armor being picture perfect. So much so that I almost forgot to have fun and remember that I am here to learn an incredible process.

I think I'll play Crysis 2 for a bit..... Yes I want to make that armor too.... NOT easy!... Been researching it for two years (that's how I found this site- searching for "armor")
I guess one approach is steroids, hardcore bodybuilding, skin paint and aluminum foil...

Hours comitted: Approx 115

I can't wait to see how your chest piece will turn out! My chest piece won't fit over my shoulders so I can't try it on to see if it fits :O I'll just have to wait till I resin it and then cut it in half to try it on lol! I hear ya when you say you want your armor to be perfect I am a perfectionist so I feel the exact same way! Anyways time to get back to gluing my helmet together. Good luck!

MKVI Torso / Chest Fitting and modifying

Ok, after distracting myself with Crysis2, and struggling with the chest construction, and after all of my very careful measuring, the chest is so close but too tight at the ribs.

I used all the measuring techniques I could find. I do not want this piece to extend too far beyond my shoulder width. I really could have added another inch but I think that, again, it would have been to wide for the armor. So I am going to mod the paper.

First things first:

I made a cardboard ellipse (see below) to represent my width at the ribs area that I mentioned. I have the piece built enough that I could measure from the shoulder down to find out where the tight area will fall on my torso.

I did this by having my partner measure (multiple times and averaged) my width and depth. I am approximately 13.25" wide and 9" deep at the ribs in question. I entered that width and depth into a CAD program, generated an ellipse, printed and transferred to cardboard.

First, when opening Flying Squirls HD MKVI torso, notice that there is a support brace in the bottom of the piece where the ribs area is tight:

support.jpg
[/IMG]

Here is that support brace with the ellipse showing the difference:

TorsoTemplateDifference.jpg
[/IMG]

As we see there is a difference of 2.25" (13.25" -11" = 2.25"). I could rebuild the entire piece (NO!) or modify it (YES!) . I don't want to just split it down the front and back, although that will be required too. So the first thing I did was roll the bottom edge in more. This alone added over an inch to the width at the bottom:

TorsoRibMod.jpg
[/IMG]

Here showing that the ellipse is starting to fit the area, but splitting the chest and adding an inch or so of paper is now required:

TorsoRibtest.jpg
[/IMG]

So the next step is to split the piece front to back along this line:

TorsoSplit.jpg
[/IMG]

Fortunately, I have not completed the front and back high detail areas. Every piece will have to be modded. I realize that this torso may look a little "funny" as the details will spread apart a little. I figure I'll just add some custom details to hide the mods.

I'll be back to edit once I complete the modding phase.

'

MK VI Flyingsquirl Chest / Torso modded (almost finished)

After many grueling sessions assembling and modding I am mostly done with this piece! I say "grueling" because I was in a bad slump after some of life's crap hit me. It wasn't the Pepakura that was grueling per se; just my attitude....

Ok. So here are the pictures front and back. Obviously I need a new Camera but better than nothing...

Front with ab plate (still don't know how to deal with the ab plate) Notice the extra paper that was added to expand the width. I am a bit displeased with the symmetry of the chest split (cleavage) impression down the center. I think I am going to create some kind of 3DSMAX / PEP model to fill this in.
ChestModdedFront.jpg
[/IMG]

...and the back. This I am OK with. The little nubbings details are split apart a bit but I don't think that it is a big deal.

ChestModdedBack.jpg
[/IMG]

Part of me feels like I should just rebuild the whole piece. On the other hand, this piece was a helluvalotta work. There are some warpy areas and my pepping wasn't very clean due to my slumping these last couple of weeks. As longshot pointed out, (and I am paraphrasing) "The errors are opportunities for battle damage details." Nothing that BONDO, RONDO and Fiberglass won't cure!

Hours committed: Approx 140

Nice work around, adding paper is always a great way to fix things before you get to the resin stage.

Hey this build is looking fantastic!
And I can't believe that you added an inch to the center of your chest piece so cleanly! That is amazingly clean work, like really. I am super impressed. Anyway, can't wait to see how this turns out!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back