KnightMare

This is my first time trying to build really anything, but I spent all of last year working on painting and getting a feel for eva foam. This is what I have for a foundation of armor. If anyone has tips or tricks I would greatly appreciate them! I have some squishy packing foam as models, but hunting around here, I can see that it is much more detailed and 3d than what I have.
IMG_0190.jpeg

this is what I have for an undersuit, digital Camo pants with a long sleeve shirt. It’s the gym/sweat wicking one and I have the stretchable knit gloves with the trigger finger and thumb cut off. I’m still working on getting a ski mask to put on under whatever helmet I end up making/getting.
image.jpg

this is the “gear“ I currently have, I’m still debating what boots to use, whether it be the snow boots or the combat boots. The white foam on the leftmost edge was supposed to be my shoulder pads, but it’s just taped with no real clue on how to properly assemble it. The piece next to it is supposed to be the outer par of the upper leg. And I have the gun belt with the groin guard still needing to be attached via elastic/Velcro.
IMG_0192.jpeg

and this is the armor I have worked on over the past year. The red/brown stuff was supposed to be rust and decay, but I went a little over board. If anyone has any information I might be able to glean, and use, it would be very much appreciated. Thank you for taking the time to read this!

Welcome to the 405th KnightMare, and great stuff so far!

When gluing parts together made from foam, the first product I would recommend is contact cement. You apply it to both pieces, wait 5-10 minutes for it to dry, then stick them together for a really good bond. However, it is a toxic product, so you will need a well ventillated room (or work outside) and a respirator with the proper filters.

If that isn't an option in your situation, hot glue is still great for larger areas (just beware that it can soften in warm temperatures) and super glue is good for smaller details.

You've done quote well with the rust - one of the most important things with it is to include multiple shades, with the darkest in the thick of it, which you have done! Rust is a fun thing to study and replicate because of how it forms. It will form where water builds up, such as in crevices, or where water commonly leaks down from. Quite often the texture will be quite rough, so what you could do is (before painting) glue down some sand or cinnamon (with something like Mod Podge on foam) to give it that rough texture.

I will say that rust doesn't seem to be a common element in the Halo universe. I'm not sure what the material armour is made of, and whether or not that metal would rust (once the paint coating has worn down), but I don't imagine the UNSC would send soldiers out in rusty armour as it can be dangerous...
...however, the thing about the 405th is it's all about building your character! Who knows - maybe they deserted the UNSC, maybe they got separated and are on their own. You can have a lot of fun coming up with a backstory as to the weathering on your armour.

Welcome to the 405th KnightMare, and great stuff so far!

When gluing parts together made from foam, the first product I would recommend is contact cement. You apply it to both pieces, wait 5-10 minutes for it to dry, then stick them together for a really good bond. However, it is a toxic product, so you will need a well ventillated room (or work outside) and a respirator with the proper filters.

If that isn't an option in your situation, hot glue is still great for larger areas (just beware that it can soften in warm temperatures) and super glue is good for smaller details.

You've done quote well with the rust - one of the most important things with it is to include multiple shades, with the darkest in the thick of it, which you have done! Rust is a fun thing to study and replicate because of how it forms. It will form where water builds up, such as in crevices, or where water commonly leaks down from. Quite often the texture will be quite rough, so what you could do is (before painting) glue down some sand or cinnamon (with something like Mod Podge on foam) to give it that rough texture.

I will say that rust doesn't seem to be a common element in the Halo universe. I'm not sure what the material armour is made of, and whether or not that metal would rust (once the paint coating has worn down), but I don't imagine the UNSC would send soldiers out in rusty armour as it can be dangerous...
...however, the thing about the 405th is it's all about building your character! Who knows - maybe they deserted the UNSC, maybe they got separated and are on their own. You can have a lot of fun coming up with a backstory as to the weathering on your armour.
Thank you so much! I should be able to use the contact cement with some hot/super glue for the smaller stuff. Do you by chance know what the ODST's would have as pocket litter? Like glow sticks and a map? I have tried to search for any ideas, but keep coming up with dead ends. If you know where I could start to look that would be very much appreciated. Thank you for the advice!

Update: i found a backpack and a plastic knife that is a stand in for an actual prop, but I was wondering the most about the smg. Would I be able to take a little bit off of the barrel, and cut off the forward grip and install/reinstall facing the other direction? I’m going for the halo ODST suppressed smg look. I would love to build/print/purchase one, but I don’t have the current patience nor the money to buy one, and I don’t own a 3d printer to print one.

Attachments

• IMG_0202.jpeg
    IMG_0202.jpeg
    264.8 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_0201.jpeg
    IMG_0201.jpeg
    249.3 KB · Views: 63

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back