"Only nice people get Halo's"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sean Bradley said:
After writing a PM back to someone here concerning this I realized something... most people either find it redundant or absolutely overdue. I think that most everyone here falls into one of two categories concerning forum conduct:

The first is people who need this rule to be in place for them to know what they can and cant do. Some people actually do rely on rules to be put into place to help guide them on how to behave.

The second category is people who take this sort of thing for granted, that we can all be mature responsible people and don't have to be told how to behave.

Then again there are some people who may be a little of both. Some members know better than to behave the way they do, but refuse to let anyone tell them what to do. I guess we found category three. ;)

Anyhow for those that don't need to be told how to behave, sorry if it was unecessary review. For those who are unsure of where they stand, this should clarify things.

Thanks again.

I am a 1st type. That is I had to ask what level we are mod at G PG (PG13) was my ancer.

I for one am NOT a nice person. I will offer you help or hold a door if your hand are full (Polite) But if they Snob me on the way throw it, they may get tripped. Sorry that's just the way I am.

If I can keep a civil tung than the rest should.

I do not type much (Most know why) so this board helps a lot (Thanks Mike) and now helping mod is kinda fun (THE POWER OH THE POWER!....sorry :rolleyes lol)

I for one, like it here and thank you all for what you have made here.

For what it worth. (Just upping my post count lol)

Rob

Last edited by a moderator:
you make good points in this thread.
I already feel this forum is awesome in terms of respect and everyone helping each other out, but good post still.
Occasionally I've come across people who think they know it all and kind of give us noobs a raised brow...but I think the forum is in pretty good shape so far.

very well put theres nothing more aggravatiing(and ive seen it here)that a so called vet takin the ##ss out of a newbie .ALWAYS REMEMBER YOU WERE THAT NEWBIE ONCE .
rich

this is the best forum i have ever been too. for the most part everyone is polite and helpful, the enviroment is really good and i hope it stays that way

lief240 said:
this is the best forum i have ever been too. for the most part everyone is polite and helpful, the enviroment is really good and i hope it stays that way

Some of the forum's i've been to are total hell. Not only is disrespect and flaming allowed, but sometimes encouraged. Even done by the admins themselves. Over time, there becomes this tiny elite group of "veteran members" who get permission to demean newcomers as much as they want.

Sorry, but I've had some bad experiences with forums. But it truly is a nice place here.

Sean Bradley said:
After some heated debate among the moderators and an even more heated debate in the forums I’ve decided to put together a little pep talk on the subject of forum etiquette.

The internet can be a particularly negative place when it comes to commenting. Search any of the top forums or websites that feature anonymous commenting and you’ll quickly come to the same conclusion. It would seem that certain people love nothing more than to look at someone else’s efforts, no matter how ambitious, and suggest that they could have done better... frequently in a rude manner. While some commenters can be constructive, others take the opportunity just to be insulting. Everyone’s a critic when it comes to commenting.

Here at the 405th forums we have noticed a sharp trend towards negative comments in work-in-progress threads in recent months. This is both a sign of our growth as a forum and an indication of success on the goal of gathering a widely distributed community of like minded Halo costumers. But as our numbers grow, so does the need for supervising the group.

From the establishment of the moderating team at the 405th, we strived to preserve freedom of expression in the forums, putting very few rules in place to govern. The intent was to allow people to behave as they felt was appropriate, and to only correct the offenses that ruined the experience for others.
As times changed we enacted some rules to help keep the peace. The “Guidelines for a Better Forum” was my first attempt to explain and reinforce the type of conduct we ask members to exercise on this board. I did my very best to represent the same spirit of freedom that Adam wanted to preserve while trying to imply some level of order.

Once again we have reached a critical point in our growth as a forum, and have discovered new levels of order that are required. This does not mean that all the rules are changing, only that we have found loopholes that we feel the need to correct.

In the original “Guidelines for a Better Forum” rule #1 may have been too vague:

1. Be nice… Treat your fellow members and moderators with respect.

Beyond this we’d like you to consider that when you join this website, you are joining the forum ‘team’. Teammates should not be shooting at each other, in Halo, or on in the forums of the 405th.

We’re all here because we want to collaborate, contribute, and learn. If that’s the case then we should all have some consideration for others on our ‘team’. We’re all entitled to our opinions, unpopular or not. But before you post a harsh criticism of someone else’s work, you should ask yourself this: “would I be offended if someone said this about me?”

We’re not expecting miracles, but we would like you all to treat each other with a little more respect and dignity. Everything here is essentially volunteer work. Every model, every tutorial, every WIP-to-Complete thread in this forum was posted from a members blood, sweat and generosity to share with us. It is inherent to all volunteer projects done out of the goodness of someone's heart that they should be treated with appropriate respect. We are all volunteers here, and our goal is to share our knowledge for the benefit of our growing community. Those who have not vested their own time, money, and effort to share their knowledge do not have the right to criticize, harass, or otherwise suggest that someone who has been generous enough to share with us is in the wrong. Constructive criticism is welcome… but destructive criticism is not.

We don't expect anyone here to change who they are as a person. Productivity is directly related to positivity, so perhaps some self-control is necessary for people who refuse to change for the betterment of our community. I don't like the idea of censoring anyone here, but I refuse to let anyone be insulted for the work that they have done for our collective benefit.

We’re all here to cooperate with each other, and to work towards a greater goal. If you aren’t here for that goal, then perhaps this isn’t the right place for you. I personally question why anyone who doesn't work well with others would want to be a part of our group in the first place.

This is a team, and we are Spartans. Every Spartan knows that his defense is only as good as the soldier next to him. If you do not protect your fellow teammate, that person will not do the same for you. Our strength is in our teamwork.

Only nice people get Halos..

Offer help before scorn

Encourage each other, courteously

Keep your criticism constructive

Attack your ally and you will face the Hammer

And most importantly:

Rule #1: Be nice… Treat your fellow members and moderators with respect.
That is all.

Wow..vwery eloquently nomienclated to say the least...that was a pleasure to read..and i hope peiople take the words to heart..(cause i have very little talent,and would be destroyed at nastiness).jk but really that is a very valid point..us noobs dont have the talents of the staff n mods..or the vets..we are but babes crawling around searching for crumbs of the stuff u guys must b eatin to get that good...however im sure as stated u too were noobs at one point as we/I am now..so i take heart in that fact...great thread man.

Please excuse the Necro...

I would just like to say that I applaud the efforts that are put into this community. Before I regestered to this site, I had no idea that the Halo community was this well organized. I now realize that I did not simply "create an account". But, as you said, I joined a team. A team that is willing to help me, and I should contribute to it as much as possible. Although I am a NOOB to the 405th Team of Spartans; I strive towards finishing my armor and maybe helping out future NOOBS with their questions. (The ones that aren't already in the stickys of course).

Again, congradulations on such a magnificent job on maintaining such a well thought out and organized Team.

After reading this i noticed that alot of people are actually mean to me on the 405th. Just by reading my W.I.P I noticed how mutch I have changed since I have joined.

Sean Bradley said:
This is a team, and we are Spartans. Every Spartan knows that his defense is only as good as the soldier next to him. If you do not protect your fellow teammate, that person will not do the same for you. Our strength is in our teamwork.

that would make a damn good sig, to bad mines to cluttered.

i haven't been on these forums long but i was always here viewing the boards as a guest, it seemed like attitude changed a lot over that time.

this thread wins!!

Sean Bradley said:
QUOTE(TheRob @ May 4 2008, 09:01 AM) So you're new rule is to be nice to each other? Are we in kindergarten here?

Yes but as other pointed out it goes somewhat beyond that. We've always had the 'Be nice to each other ' rule, this is a clarification. Sadly it was needed.

@ CPU64: I don't think this website will ever become like that... long as the members don't start acting like bungie.net members!
default:D

@ LastSpartan: True there are some mods AWOL, but I believe that we would have to remove their status to get them unlisted as mods. It's tough to do that to old friends.. I think that some new mods are needed from time to time, and we do add more as needed, not sure when it's going to happen again though.

Just wanted to say thanks to all for noting the change to the guidelines, and if you have any questions about conduct feel free to ask.

I'm also a bungie.net forum member. Almost everyone of those guys are idioticas, bigots, hypocrites, lies. I've tried to be polite to them but they are not worth the amount of trouble and single minded thinking that they are projecting. And they hatefully post spam and flame.

DON'T GO TO BUNGIE.NET YOU WILL REGRET IT

Tyvern said:
I'm also a bungie.net forum member. Almost everyone of those guys are idioticas, bigots, hypocrites, lies. I've tried to be polite to them but they are not worth the amount of trouble and single minded thinking that they are projecting. And they hatefully post spam and flame.

DON'T GO TO BUNGIE.NET YOU WILL REGRET IT

At least the forums anyway ;)

Nicktendo said:
Great points. Respect is a virtue I really, really try to uphold, but it seems so hard when others don't want to return the favor! *sigh* Still, I try. And if I ever step out of line, I expect someone to correct me, and I hope others feel the same. After all, this is a community, and posting here should be considered a privilege, not a right.

While we're on the topic of morals (although this is still off topic...) don't be like my professor, not being able to show up for the final because she was arrested for DUI, at 6pm, on her way to class. The cherry on top? She's my ETHICS professor!

i like the whole thing very well put and written, but one question???? if this is the proper edicate then why do i see people shooting down ideas and being really mean and shiity with other members {noobs} when they are not real sure on how to do forums and other things, just a question for the masses.

shoalindiciple said:
i like the whole thing very well put and written, but one question???? if this is the proper edicate then why do i see people shooting down ideas and being really mean and shiity with other members {noobs} when they are not real sure on how to do forums and other things, just a question for the masses.

Depending on the subject, shooting down ideas is sometimes in everyone's best interest (i.e. airsoft/paintball armor, using ludicrously expensive materials, having ideas that just wouldn't work out, etc. are all relatively terrible ideas without a lot of experience). Also, a lot of that happens because the "other members" don't read the stickied topics even after being told countless times to do so, which puts added stress not only on the other actual topics, but on the server bill that needs to be paid by Adam.

If you think something is offensive or inappropriate, report it and a mod will swoop in a take action if it's required. However, please make sure you realize that the world isn't full of flowers and unicorns. Not every idea will have even a chance of working, and not every form of conduct is appropriate (such as backtalking, rudeness, etc.), and other members aren't going to hold it in and let you or others learn the hard way through failure or moderator intervention, respectively.

Not meaning to be disrespectful, just trying to make sure it's clear for anyone who reads this. I've seen a lot of newer members trying to find loopholes in the rules (read: trolling).

ImaGonnaGetYou said:
If you think something is offensive or inappropriate, report it and a mod will swoop in a take action if it's required. However, please make sure you realize that the world isn't full of flowers and unicorns. Not every idea will have even a chance of working, and not every form of conduct is appropriate (such as backtalking, rudeness, etc.), and other members aren't going to hold it in and let you or others learn the hard way through failure or moderator intervention, respectively.

Well said.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back