Pilot Helmet, Master and Mold [[[Halo: Reach]]]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ahh okay understood. Makes sense now. And yeah I'm afraid of doing a 1 piece mold. I want to mold my ODST but the lip under the chin is pretty large and I feel like a 1 piece would get absolutely destroyed. If you could do it all over again you think you'd change the process a little bit to do a 2 piece mold?

Noooo... In the first cast I made, I split the mold about 3 inchs. When i put it back in the mother mold, I couldn't see the split.(And I was looking vary hard) IF you do split your mold pulling it out, i wouldn't worry to much about it.

That's a great video, I might to try it in the spring so I don't have to make multiple helmets. My question is, if the cardboard is like 1/8" how do you handle the gap in the mold?

I think he means that when you create the mother mold you use a separation piece with cardboard or plastic or whatnot between the two halves of the mother mold. Then when you remove that separation piece would there not be a gap the same thickness of the separator in your mother mold?

The answer to that question is you remove the cardboard before you put the second half on and apply a release agent to the fiberglass before doing the second half. Or leave the separator in place. Watching your video I think you left the cardboard in and the foil as well.

This video uses different materials but the technique is the same.

Last edited by a moderator:
Amazing Work on the helmet and the mold. cant wait to see it in all its glory when it has its visor.
keep up the great work!

I tried this with a bullet casing... Failed miserably. I was wonder why do you add the glycerin and how do you add it to the caulk.

i have a fair assumtion of what glycerin is use for as a medical purpose, is there any reason why you mixed it in such small amounts, i mean if someone did it i larger amount there wouldn't be like an explosive effect, givin what certain types of glycerin actually are used for. overall how much money would you say you spent for the entire helmet process and how much money would one save compared to someone who molded it the old fashion way??

It would probably weaken the structure of the silicon if you added to much glycerin. As for money.. You'd need to do the math. No bondo, (less money and stronger) faster, and easier.

buddy, looks insanely awesome, just please tell me how to make that insane helmet, im new on here and trying to make a pilot helmet so i would greatly appreciate if you could terll me how to even make the mold, and where to get the paper 3-d reference parts. i am greatful of your help, and if anyone else reads this and knows exactly what to do PLEASE lemme know

UA/Hul is up!

I didn't like the pep'ed version all over 405th, so I free pep'ed* one until I was happy with it.

*Took an artistic license and built one by looking a pics. No pep's.

301189_276861319001599_100000331986139_895601_1895902936_n.jpg

315725_276861362334928_100000331986139_895602_2053566469_n.jpg

316165_276861425668255_100000331986139_895605_176849039_n.jpg

Planing on molding it.

what'd you use for the silver tint? and is the visibility decent? looks kind of opaque. lastly, did you use a vac-former for that visor? trying to understand how the warping came into be.

all in all though, awesome job man, can't wait to see that on the helmet!

No. made a frame to hold the four tips (of the 1'x1' PETG) then heated in the oven and just stretched it over a visor mold. remove the frame and finished with the heat gun.

Visibility isn't the best... But I can see out of it okay. Just as good as just black.

I love when people make awesome things and then mold them, to make them relatively affordable and available. At some point I was going to make grenade sets, with molded foam grenades, and the vacuformed cases that hold 4 grenades, as seen in firefight.

That and I might even make another MK V. EVA helmet, when my dad finally helps me finish the vacuform table.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back