Plans for Real life AI hologram (need help!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CPO mendez

Hey 405th, i think i may have found a way to make a real life AI hologram!

i've seen pictures of this UFO looking thing floating around these forums:
31WDtqSl2aL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

It basically allows you to put an object (the frog) into the bottom, put the lid on, and Voila! it appears that it's sitting on top. at first sight i just passed it up as some cheap plastic toy not even worth the space it takes up, but then i realized that if i were to put a flat, rectangular piece of glass in it, used a mini projector to project an image (i.e. Cortana, Serena, etc.) i could create an AI hologram! The only problem is that mini projectors cost upwards of $100 and i can't find any sort of animation software that i could even project! and this might be crazy enough to actually work!

(Just for easier reference, this is it: http://www.amazon.de/HQ-79747-Miras...f=sr_1_3?s=toys&ie=UTF8&qid=1304558567&sr=1-3)

I hate to destruct yet another idea, but what you have in mind won't work I'm afraid. This toy you are talking about is just an illusion with mirrors. It doesn't work unless you already have a 3D object inside, and its "projection capabilities" are rather limited. You'll find several videos on Youtube (like this one) clearly showing these limitations. Among others, you have to look at the right angle and even if you do, you will only see something if you look through the hole into the mirrors. In other words: No part of the "hologram" will ever appear to be outside the edge of the hole on top of the device. The only way to have this thing display Cortana is to make a little Cortana figurine, as tall as that frog, and put it inside. But obviously that will be a very small Cortana, especially in relation to the size of the whole device.

You can, of course, put a projection screen inside and project an image onto that. You can even place the projector outside the device and project the image top-down through the hole, which means the device itself doesn't limit the size of your projector. But the "hologram" that will appear will be one of a flat surface with a picture on it.

yeah, the piece of glass would go inside, the projector would either be in there with it, or projecting through a hole cut into the side and maybe i can pull off a little one-way glass over the hole. If not, than i don't think it'll really matter

The biggest thing however is finding a software program that i could use to project a talking image of the AI.

The point of my last post was that there's no point in using the toy in the first place. It won't make your projection threedimensional.

If you insist on trying: You can project vertically through the hole that is already there. What you can't do is cut any other holes, because that would destroy the mirrors in these areas and (at least part of) the illusion as well.

What you really need is true holography equipment. Unfortunately, this is not that. This is an optical illusion, with a similar effect to the 3DS's 3D feature, that is only viewable from certain angles, and requires a 3D object to be reflected. Projecting a 2D image, as from a display, will have no effect.

Well I few years ago at a college science fair I saw a kid that made a 3D floating image of a chair being his project was holograms. Now what I remember seeing on his machine was it was pretty much a super computer (graphics wise and a few years ago it was).

He had the insides of 2 3D projectors mounted across from each other facing at like a 45 degree angle. In between the 2 projectors he had a V shaped piece of glass like a half inch thick (not sure what he did to the glass and such). Then mounted to like a lead box (to reduce Vibrations) the Pieces of glass rotated at like 10,000+ RPM's while the projectors projected into the moving pieces of glass and there was a 3D image of a chair.

So for a true hologram portability and price are not on your side.

Edit: Well for a 100 dollars you might want to check this out
http://www.holokits.com/holography_kit_1.htm

Holography works by having lasers reflect light from 2 angles, through a semi-silvered wedge of glass, something-something with how light works, to make a holographic image of the reflected object. It's complex, and it's really the only way to achieve true holography.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back