As I am a complete novice when it comes to airbrushing I just went ahead and bought the cheapest one I could find. I think it works great for beginners! It's a $30 air brush from Canadian Tire. You need to provide your own compressor though. May not be available in your region, but here's the link anyways: General PDP Template
There might be something similar at your local hardware store too

Cool thanks so much ! It is not available unfortunately but there are a ton of cheap options, Ill probably pick something up at harbor freight.

Tiny progress update ! The sanding is 90% done, with only a few very small seams to fill, then wet sand the entire thing with 800. Ever since I started prop making a little over a year ago, seams have always been my greatest enemy, I always have such a tough time getting them out so it's so cool to finally be making progress into tackling them better ! Anyway, I've ordered paint for the handle and gunmetal parts, so that will be here in a few days, and I should have finished sanding by then !
IMG_0166.JPG

"Back in Black" by ACDC starts playing...
Okay, we have more progress ! I have put on a black base coat because that's the recommended base for the chromacoat. I have not ordered it quite yet, but I will soon ! The weathered titanium and metallic charcoal paint will arrive today, so I will be taping off the part that will be purple and putting on the weathered steel, then taping off more parts and putting the charcoal on.
IMG_0181.JPG

Apologies for the image blurriness, I don't currently have a phone bc it broke :( but I should be able to get a better camera within the next few weeks. Anyway, I did unfortunately have a few drips so I sanded those down with 1500 and then did the entire part that will be purple in 2000 just to even it out.I do not have a picture of that yet. Anyways, hope everyone is having a fantastic day. (I need to find a good catchphrase to put at the end of my posts :p)

The funny thing is, I have the ACDC album with Back in Black. Anyway, that looks really good! What type of paint do you use?
I just used a regular rustolum gloss black. I really hope it dosent affect the quality of the chromacoat since it was so cheap. Fingers crossed.

"Back in Black" by ACDC starts playing...
Okay, we have more progress ! I have put on a black base coat because that's the recommended base for the chromacoat. I have not ordered it quite yet, but I will soon ! The weathered titanium and metallic charcoal paint will arrive today, so I will be taping off the part that will be purple and putting on the weathered steel, then taping off more parts and putting the charcoal on.
View attachment 335885
Apologies for the image blurriness, I don't currently have a phone bc it broke :( but I should be able to get a better camera within the next few weeks. Anyway, I did unfortunately have a few drips so I sanded those down with 1500 and then did the entire part that will be purple in 2000 just to even it out.I do not have a picture of that yet. Anyways, hope everyone is having a fantastic day. (I need to find a good catchphrase to put at the end of my posts :p)
back in black GIF

2 updates in 1 day !
Greys arrived today, so that means masking and painting ! Here's a picture of the paint and it masked...
IMG_1652.JPG
IMG_1650.JPG

I decided to start with the darker grey so that I could mask off less when I put the lighter grey on. And WOW. I love this grey so much it really looks accurate to the reference pictures and I'm starting to get the giddy kind of feeling when I feel something will turn out well. I really hope it does lol.
IMG_1654.JPG
IMG_1659.JPG

Now that the grey is on, I can unfortunately see a few visible layer lines, and divots that I'm not quite sure how I missed through the 4 coats of filler primer. I don't really have the energy or willpower to sand this thing back down and repaint it, so I'm just going to do my best to blend it in as weathering when I do get to weathering. The purple paint will probably take up to a week to arrive, as its coming from Florida I'm pretty sure.
Thats it for today.

Now that the grey is on, I can unfortunately see a few visible layer lines, and divots that I'm not quite sure how I missed through the 4 coats of filler primer. I don't really have the energy or willpower to sand this thing back down and repaint it, so I'm just going to do my best to blend it in as weathering when I do get to weathering. The purple paint will probably take up to a week to arrive, as its coming from Florida I'm pretty sure.
Yeah been there. Seems there's always a few spots you'll miss even after 4 rounds of sanding. But you've got the right idea, a bit of weathering and you'll never even know haha

Yeah been there. Seems there's always a few spots you'll miss even after 4 rounds of sanding. But you've got the right idea, a bit of weathering and you'll never even know haha
For sure. At the same time working on just sticking to this project, I have a hard time staying on one thing, especially with disappointments and setbacks, not quite sure what it is, probably just something like adhd lol

2nd grey went on today ! Masked all the parts that will be dark grey, and used liquid masking for the small details.
plasma blk & grey masked.JPG
plasma rifle 2nd grey on.JPG

I almost feel like its too light, but it can be darkened with weathering im thinking... maybe.

Huh. I feel like I'm pretty okay with these results. The grey is a little bit too light but as stated, that can be toned down with weathering. Compared to the reference image. I guess the rifle is a combination of these 2 refence images.
plasma rifle both greys unmasked.JPG
plasma rifle refernce 2.jpg

jpeg plasma rifle refernce.jpg

The 2 differ slightly, but I will be following the details of the second one for the remainder of the rifle. I need to make a few stencils for the red marks; and the whiteish marks at the end of the rifle. I also missed one of the big triangle things at the bottom, so I do have to repaint that in charcoal, but I'll just do that when I do the small long half-dome type things at the top. I am unsure how to/ if I will do the design at the top, I have no clue how I'd even do that at this point. Ideas welcome.

Huh. I feel like I'm pretty okay with these results. The grey is a little bit too light but as stated, that can be toned down with weathering. Compared to the reference image. I guess the rifle is a combination of these 2 refence images.
View attachment 335955View attachment 335957
View attachment 335956
The 2 differ slightly, but I will be following the details of the second one for the remainder of the rifle. I need to make a few stencils for the red marks; and the whiteish marks at the end of the rifle. I also missed one of the big triangle things at the bottom, so I do have to repaint that in charcoal, but I'll just do that when I do the small long half-dome type things at the top. I am unsure how to/ if I will do the design at the top, I have no clue how I'd even do that at this point. Ideas welcome.
This looks so sick, even with just the black! If I make one of these, there's no way I'm doing as much sanding as you did. I'm not a patient man :p
I can't wait to see how it looks with the purple!

Wondering if I made a mistake... it looks different from the picture and real life video.
1695225203774.png

It'll be fiiiineee tho... paint & clearcoat arrives on friday !
( I'm using the heather for context )
1695225361470.png

This thread is more than 6 months old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back