Proper Supplies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Regs117

Hello everyone, i'm new to the 405th community and want to get started asap on a project. The only problem is im not sure what the best supplies are for armor making. I've looked through tons of threads but there are so many different suggestions of what to use, it gets a little confusing. So if anyone knows what a good list of supplies would be, i would really appreciate the help.

it all depends on budget and how much time you want to spend as well as how much detail you want to put in to it. you have to give us that information before we can properly assess you. also, i'm going to go ahead and guess that a mod is going to tell you to resize your signature as it is probably too large.

i'm willing to spend as much time and put as much detail on it as i can for budget of around $100 . And I will try to find a smaller signature.

hmmm, well then you have a few choices. Clay and sculpting then mold making and casting. The pepakura work and resin. cardboard props and so on.

Depending on how much you need, the average price for resin goes for about $20 or so. but you also need a brush for that to "paint" it on. fiberglass cloth. depending on what piece your working on you'd need something like expanding foam (another $10-$20) and so on.

you can try this too!

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1WK26NHx0o[/media]

Thanks, I have the pepakura downloaded and i found some bondo and brushes in my garage. So that means all I need is resin, fiber glass, foam and cardstock for the pepakura right?

yea thats about it, also dont forget to buy some 180 and 110 and 80 grit sand paper, makes it so much easier when it comes to sanding the bondo if u dont need to do it too smooth on the 1st sand

Cool, i also heard there were different types of cardstock, which type would be best, and how much bondo would I need for a MKVI suit?

110lb. card stock. 2-? layers of fiberglass and resin (depending on how sturdy you want your armor to be). Bondo only to smooth or add detail (there is no set amount).

My best advice is to start pepping until you come up with a piece that you think you really like and then move onto the next step.

There is no set price for a suit. Cost depends on a lot of different things.

Not really, basically it will just make it heavier. You'll see when you start pepping and resining the outside, sometines the part will have a dent in it or the like. The bondo is to bring the dent back into shape.

for resining, I probably spent around $70

$50 for the respirator.

$10 for the glasses

$10 in the dollar store :p

I got gloves, a bucket to mix the resin in, brushes, measuring cups and stuff like that.

in Canada, resin costs around $18

so it gets pretty expensive :|

but dont let this discourage you!

good luck : P

$30 for the respirator at Lowes.

$6 for the glasses at Wal-mart.

$4 for a pack of gloves at Wal-mart.

I have also discovered that Magazine Sized back boards are the same size as the standard 110 cardstock paper, and about 5x more sturdy. So if the 110 isn't working for you i would check your local comic shop for the mag backs ;) just a little FYI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back