Quick Help Needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kissker

Alright my fiberglass test batch didn't fully cure, so I thought maybe it was too cold,but I suspect the resin is bad.. so I want opinions.

The resin is Dark, DARK amber when poured even in small batches - but goes on "light" and clearish in thin coats. (don't remember what new resin looked like)

Test batch 1 ended up getting way too much old hardener added, cured finally, melting the cup it was in (way too much, figured toss it all in and find out if it cured ever since I bought a new hardener)

I wanna know if the new hardener will work with it, its been a good 20 mins with no hardening in the cup pouring a small amount and adding about 10 drops (its approx 4 drops "too much" for the size)

The resin itself has tiny bubbles when poured fresh - and they contenue when hardener is mixed into it.

It's odd to have this mixture of "yes it looks like it will" and then "no it won't" timing....

This batch is in aluminum foil and it can just go bad - not going to try to put it on anything til I know for sure if it will cure.

So..what do you think, good to use? bad? get new?

kinda turned greenish with hardnener...and i have a small bit on my glove (palm)its still cold - put 4 more drops in and mixed and puta smear on th eback of the glove, its still cold.. but only 3minute in.

it is bondo fiberglass resin - about 4 years old.

Definately don't think it's going to work. Tried takina movie but the pos player won't transfer to PC.....

But yea.. the Resin turned a Green Colour, and Gel Like. It got warm but hasn't hardened. I am afraid if Iput it on anything it's just going to Gel up on it.

The resin is polyester "Bondo Fiberglass Resin" in small words it says "with hardener" on the 1 gallon container.... Whilesealed and the lid screwed on - the lid actually got sealed to the bucket with a disc of hardened fiberglass..... It sat for about 4 years.... (so in 4 years my resin will harden on my suit? Lol)

Personally, I would try to get new. You may be able to coat over the old with new and it will harden correctly.

Fiberglass resin cures by heat, the heat is caused by a chemical reaction in the resin and the catalyst mixture.

If you mix it in small batches, and the ambient room temperature is low, then the heat transfer out of your curing resin before it has had a chance to full cure. Adding more that the recommended amount of catalyst will not always work, as there is a maximum amount of catalyst that will react with your resin. Adding heat will almost always work. It is recommended you apply fiberglass in ambient temperatures as directed by the resin manufacturer.

Old resin can affect the proper cure of your piece. My guess is you are using polyester resin found with most standard fiberglass kits. The resin has a shelf life of about 6 months from manufacture date. That time will be reduced once the can is opened. The catalyst hardener has a shelf life of about a year from manufacture date, which again will be reduced if opened. Using old resin may result in parts that are weaker than if new resin was used.

You can saturate the part with heat, using a heat gun or hot box. Roughly 125 - 150 deg. F for several (15-20) minutes can help cure the resin, but be careful with temperatures this high and any flammable materials, and do not leave the part to cool back to the ambient temperature rapidly, slowly reduce the heat. Also, remember that hot glue will melt at these temperatures.

My recommendation, use new materials and follow the instructions on the packaging.

Fiberglass is very water sensitive as well. Make sure all of your mixing buckets and stirring equipment are dry dry dry.

Yup I kinda figured, I called the "mysterious bondo dude" named Mike, mike had this to say.

"... it is good for about 1 year from it's manufacture date, to tell the date you will need to look on the plastic cap that came over the can, or on the top of the can itself depending on the size you purchased..... if you want to tell the date on the hardener, it is in the crimping of the tube, and you will need to look closely...."

Btw, the crimping one - its not printed, but actually part of the plastic, so clearish.

"... now the first number is the year (9 for now, 8 for last year, and if this is read in a few months 10) the next two digets are the month, the next two are the day, and the last 2 are the batch number...."

So looking at my hardener, it says 09xxxxx so it's fine. However, the resin I cannot find the number on , I no longer have the plastic topper either. So I will figure this one is bad.

Mike went on when I said I made a test batch of about 1oz and he found out It was in a aluminum tin:

".... wait about 1 hour and find out if it hardens, fiberglass is brittle and will break easily without the cloth or mat, so if you can pull it out and break it, your resin is alright to use, if you can bend it and have it touch itself - the batch is bad and you should get new...."

So.. there we have it.. from the "experts" and a Mysterious Man named Mike who works at 3M/bondo division. So it's always good to test your older resins, and if you have a new one - check the numbers BEFORE opening it - if it's too old, bring it back and demand a refund and a replacement at no charge, since they sold you "expired materials".

Now to be fully honest, the small batach DID harden in the aluminum. Howeve I know it is over 1 Year old, so I am iffy on it.

Futher facts are:

A small thin layer will take LONGER to cure then a thicker batch- reason is because of heat. Thin layer won't produce much heat, and going alongside with what was said here - heat is what cures(hardens) it.

This could mean thin layers for the armor won't cure. I have a thermometer in the garage where I am working - it's currently at 60 or so so it may or may not be warm enough. The heater is still on.

I am letting a small blotch start now on the side - going to take my hair dryer and blow some heat on it and see if it'll harden in thin layers.

(notyet ready to dish out another$20 whenover 1/2 a gallon is down there now)

*edit*

Ok 2 hours with 2 more batches going.

Test 1 - in a cup - Gelled then hardened in thick doses.

Test 2 - on a mat - gelled in thin layer, but never hardened (can fold it on itself)

Test 3 - on aluminum foil in front of a heater/hair dryer - gelled, but never hardened.

Heater had the garage about 65degrees, heater was set on 90 and hair dryer to hottest (blowing 8inches away on lower blow settings)

None of the test batches managed to harden in thin layers - so this resin will NOT work for what I want. (thin layers on top of paper)

Soo... gotta wait for a working car to get home, to go to wally world, to spend $20ish and buy new resin.

Sad. Wanted to have parts resined by tonight... but I think I lose the garage in a few hours....

15 days left until it HAS to be finished.. and I planned a week for detailing... so... 8 days until it has to be ready for bondo/sand/bondo/sand paint/wiring/paint touchups..... and at least 2 of those days I have work...so..less then 6 days left to get fiberglassed.... not looking good, specially with snow in the forecast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back