Recon Helmet Wip

Status
Not open for further replies.

torsoboy

I started on the pep of Belakor's smoothed recon helmet, and it's nearly finished. All I have left (as of this posting) is to do the very bottom edge of it, then I can fiberglass it.

The file is rather curious, though, and I verified this on two computers too. After getting about half way through the first helmet, I noticed it was too small. When I reopened the smoothed recon helmet pep file in my pep VIEWER, it said it was about 11" tall. When I opened it in the pep DESIGNER, it said it was about 13.5" tall. So I reprinted it from the designer, and it printed out the same 11" tall size. So I adjusted the scale in the designer (which said 13.5" tall) to be 14.5" tall (which would have printed it out to be about 12" tall in the viewer), and it turned out to be a good scale. So just fair warning, for those of you that are interested in trying this pep, you will probably have to scale it to different measurements than it displays. But other than that, it's a fantastic file.

S7009040.jpg

S7009041.jpg

i like it! i like it alot! very clean, looks really good! i congradutate you on your first(?) pep. I dont see any warping or mess ups.

Not my first pep actually. I've made a Halo 3 Marine helmet, I'm currently working through the ODST armor, and I've even designed my own pep model (my user icon is the 3d model of a helmet I pepped). I have a thread in the elite forum with my previous stuff, but I can't seem to create a thread in there (hence my thread here). Thanks for the comments though!

Bookmarked! I'll be keeping an eye on this one :D Looks insanely clean so far!

I've found the scaling can be a bit of a pain sometimes, I think getting the model perfectly positioned before putting it in pep helps with scaling it but that's a pain. Normally I ifnd dumb luck kicks in and it turns out the right size most of the time :lol

Give me a minute and I'll drop this over in the pep forum, 'cause you're certainly not a "noob" when it comes to making cool stuff ;)

It looks very nice and clean. No visable warpage which is always a plus.

I made the same helmet and as of right now, I made it to the fiberglass stage. It is now too cold here to do anymore work on it, but I am working on a hayabusa project anyways.

Are you doing a full recon suit?

HaloGoddess said:
It looks very nice and clean. No visable warpage which is always a plus.

I made the same helmet and as of right now, I made it to the fiberglass stage. It is now too cold here to do anymore work on it, but I am working on a hayabusa project anyways.

Are you doing a full recon suit?

Thanks! I try to be sure to watch for warpage with each piece I glue on. The glue stick glue offers about 45 seconds of "play" where I can shift parts around and gauge where it wants to go and minimize warpage. I'll also tape pieces down if there is significant warpage, but luckily with this piece there hasn't been any warpage at all. I do also tend to work symmetrically (glue the left hand piece on and then glue the right hand piece on, so I can get them aligned correctly).

I'm not doing the full recon build. Instead, this will be one of the helmets worn with my live-action ODST suit. I'm gonna go with a clear visor on this one as well, to match the non-polarized visors on the ODST helmets.

Last edited by a moderator:
The helmet is now fiberglassed, and I've begun sculpting in the bondo. The pep for this is so well done that it doesnt need too much bondo on it. The face, cheeks, and temples need the most sculpting work, but it only took me a few hours this afternoon.

S7009053.jpg

I'm going to start on some of the details tomorrow (while continuing to smooth out the remaining fiberglassed parts). Most of the raised details will be made in sintra, and the little recessed mouth bit will be made in sintra as well. I've gone ahead and started making some sculpting notes on the helmet as well:

S7009066.jpg

I've been making some good progress on this helmet, and I was able to put a coat of primer on the sculpted potion to see what it looks like in a neutral color. I've also started testing out visor shapes.

S7009081.jpg

S7009080.jpg

S7009076.jpg

Gonna go with a clear "non-polarized" visor with this helmet. It'll be two layers of this clear stuff so I'll still get the visor details.

FYI, the 'insert' part of the visor isn't meant to be there... it's an awesome build so far though!

That is looking really good. Keep up the good work. What are you using for your visor? Are you using the foamie technique?

Arcanine said:
FYI, the 'insert' part of the visor isn't meant to be there... it's an awesome build so far though!

What do you mean by the "insert" part? From what I can tell, everything currently sculpted on the helmet is on the game version. So if you could clarify, I could work on it. :)

xavierjer said:
That is looking really good. Keep up the good work. What are you using for your visor? Are you using the foamie technique?

Not sure what the foamie technique is, so no. lol! I just got a $3 cheapy dust visor from Harbor Freight that is really flexible and can be cut with scissors.

torsoboy said:
What do you mean by the "insert" part? From what I can tell, everything currently sculpted on the helmet is on the game version. So if you could clarify, I could work on it. :)

I think the "insert" part is the inner visor piece, the piece that comes up to your face and kind of seals the helmet around your eyes. In any case if that is the piece then yes it is supposed to be there for the Halo 3 in-game version, at least it was in the beta. I don't think the DARE version has it but personally I'd keep it anyway just 'cause I think it's cool... and also helps with fogging in my experience ;)

The helmet looks sweet! It's really coming along! :D

Belakor said:
I think the "insert" part is the inner visor piece, the piece that comes up to your face and kind of seals the helmet around your eyes. In any case if that is the piece then yes it is supposed to be there for the Halo 3 in-game version, at least it was in the beta. I don't think the DARE version has it but personally I'd keep it anyway just 'cause I think it's cool... and also helps with fogging in my experience ;)

The helmet looks sweet! It's really coming along! :D

Oh, that piece! Yeah I'm keeping that in there. I plan on shaping it more to my face for a sealed up look, and I think I'm gonna get some of that car door trim to put around it to make it less hurty on my face. :pMight even detail it up a bit just for some extra oomph.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back