Resin prints for visors

Status
Not open for further replies.

SSGLordBert

Member DIN
S207
Hey everyone. Has anyone tried using a resin printer to make the visor for their helmet? If so, how did you make the resin see through. I’ve got a translucent green and blue that I’m wanting to try and use. But once it’s cured it’s kind of foggy and you can’t see though it. I’ve tried gradually moving up to like 2000 grit wet dry sand paper to buff and polish, but it’s still not perfect. Is there a way to make them more see through?

I have a few attempts at 2 part epoxy resin visors that were a mixed bag of results. I found that adding oil (I used argan and machine oil for my attepts) to the outside of the visor drastically improved visibility. Lightly applying spaz stix mirror chrome spray paint on the interior gave a decent mirror finish on the outside while still being able to see out. I have no idea if UV resin will act the same but it should be easy to test.

Definitely thanks for the tip. I'm still deciding what color of visors to get. What's the best color to get for the visor? Does it depend on the vision?

Well… I did it everyone! I’m able to make see through visors out of clear and translucent resin printing. It takes some work, and patience. But I got it.

Once your print is cleaned and cured, start with some wet/dry 400 grit sandpaper. Hit both sides pretty good until you feel you’ve gotten the print to a smoother texture. Then step up to 600, and repeat. Then bump up to 1000, then 2000, then 3000, then 5000.

When all your sanding is complete, give it a nice clean in the isopropyl alcohol (I use 99%) and then let dry. Only should take about 20min to full dry. After that hit both sides of the print with high gloss, this is key, HIGH GLOSS clear spray paint. High luster lacquer works too, but it leaves a slight yellow tint to it. I used rust-oleum 2x painters touch on mine… and boy is it awesome.

They aren’t 100% perfect. But very functional! Let me know what you think.
F8F9645E-C88D-4133-9C5B-330D40B2A902.jpeg
3733DF93-BC3E-4BD7-8791-C44F1DD854BA.jpeg
07636FA5-234B-485B-9A94-3C082173A411.jpeg

Last edited:
Instead of using a clear coat, you could try polishing it as well. The advantage would be that you don't have to worry about the clear coat going on even, so you might be able to get a bit better vision. I've had decent luck with toothpaste as polishing compound, so it might be worth a try.

Instead of using a clear coat, you could try polishing it as well. The advantage would be that you don't have to worry about the clear coat going on even, so you might be able to get a bit better vision. I've had decent luck with toothpaste as polishing compound, so it might be worth a try.
Is there a certain brand or type that you would recommend or just any kind of toothpaste

I just used some generic toothpaste. Toothpaste with some whitening stuff might work better, but I don't think the one I used had any specifically.

Well… I did it everyone! I’m able to make see through visors out of clear and translucent resin printing. It takes some work, and patience. But I got it.

Once your print is cleaned and cured, start with some wet/dry 400 grit sandpaper. Hit both sides pretty good until you feel you’ve gotten the print to a smoother texture. Then step up to 600, and repeat. Then bump up to 1000, then 2000, then 3000, then 5000.

When all your sanding is complete, give it a nice clean in the isopropyl alcohol (I use 99%) and then let dry. Only should take about 20min to full dry. After that hit both sides of the print with high gloss, this is key, HIGH GLOSS clear spray paint. High luster lacquer works too, but it leaves a slight yellow tint to it. I used rust-oleum 2x painters touch on mine… and boy is it awesome.

They aren’t 100% perfect. But very functional! Let me know what you think. View attachment 320665View attachment 320666View attachment 320667
Ooo I love how the resin gives the visor pieces more of a weathered look!

Nice! I had been thinking about trying this for a while and actually JUST tried it tonight. Just came off the printer and is being cleaned/cured right now. Will report back on clarity soon..

View attachment 320725
So after sanding and clear coating I'm pretty impressed with it's visibility. That said it isn't THAT great. Pretty sure it's too thick, so I'm trying to figure out how to make it thinner without screwing up the mesh....or making it too thin in places.....
Either way, I think this is gonna work well with colored resin, then I can just tint with either Alclad or window tinting.

So after sanding and clear coating I'm pretty impressed with it's visibility. That said it isn't THAT great. Pretty sure it's too thick, so I'm trying to figure out how to make it thinner without screwing up the mesh....or making it too thin in places.....
Either way, I think this is gonna work well with colored resin, then I can just tint with either Alclad or window tinting.
If you are coming to c2e2, I can check it out and show you the ones I’ve done.

Hey everyone. Has anyone tried using a resin printer to make the visor for their helmet? If so, how did you make the resin see through. I’ve got a translucent green and blue that I’m wanting to try and use. But once it’s cured it’s kind of foggy and you can’t see though it. I’ve tried gradually moving up to like 2000 grit wet dry sand paper to buff and polish, but it’s still not perfect. Is there a way to make them more see through?
My Aunt suggested this to me, but I've never tried it. It's definitely possible, but visibility might be compromised, though with enough effort anything works lol, as stated with your recent post.
any visor that has groves will be difficult to see through but after taking a look at James's post, for sure would work.
Problem being I don't got a resin printer haha

How thick is your visor out of curiosity?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back