Foam Rusalka; aka, hiding foam crimes and calling it intentional

OttyrCosplay

It's been a while! Moved, reno-ed a house, got married. Life is wild.

But I've been slowly, but surely, making the parts for the Rusalka from Halo Infinite (albeit inadvertently for some pieces)

I love my nasty Flood Unicorn. Attaching a photo for ref if you haven't seen it, dear reader.

Basically this is an excuse to use my first attempts to make something cool instead of wasting foam. For example my Reach bicep pieces weren't great but they are serviceable. But I know I can do better.

So far I have forearms done (from an old build thread), biceps, the ODST shoulders, (and maybe the handplates?, cause I did make some that I could use for this since they easy). Wow, just realized that's all the arms, haha!

So left to do is legs, chest, waist/cod, and the helmet.

For the flood bits I plan on sculpting/form foam spikes and then covering them in foam clay (v excited to try that out!)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240112_200930_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240112_200930_Chrome.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 42
  • 20240112_200020.jpg
    20240112_200020.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 38
  • 20240112_195905.jpg
    20240112_195905.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 35
Note to self, keep foam scraps. I am usually pretty diligent at throwing away scraps that I don't need to keep my work space clean but I realized recently that I could use those foam scraps as build-up for all the nasty horns. So oops.

At least I have my new shins to start building up more scraps for the scrap gods.

I also bought these boots so hopefully they will be good for this cosplay and any future ones. They are supposed to feel like tennis shoes which is a big plus.

I refuse to wear big heels again like I did for my last halo cosplay. I walked a combined 14 miles over the course of the 2019 weekend I wore my last Halo cosplay. IN 2.5-3 INCH HEELS. (Of course not all of that was in cosplay but a good majority was).
1000001780.jpg

Should probably update this so it doesn't lock like my other threads .

I've spent the last few months fighting w/ my 3d printer. Sadly it isn't even for this costume but my Halo Reach cosplay which I am 3d printing some of the pieces for now (and no, still haven't gotten that printer to work, but I did go and get my lulzbot mini 1 from my parent's house. Lil' guy has been in a box for four years and prints fine, no issues).

But that's not this costume!

Progress is slowly being made on the shins. I had made one using the female files in the armory but it turned out very bad. So I'm using the male files. Definitely better (see attached).

I also like the boots I ordered. They are comfy sketchers. And they fit nicely. I look forward to making then my con shoe. My plan is to do boot covers of some kind (making the boot and finding a way to temp strap the armor to them) so they can be used for all armor.

I also ran out of contact cement and have resorted to using ye old superglue and then strengthening it with hot glue method I used on my Targaryen Spartans.

Attachments

• 20240323_102354.jpg
    20240323_102354.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 17
Not much progress made. One half of the shins has finally been completed. Or at least is close to being completed. My work flow this time around is trash.

Also MooMoo is helping.

I do think the sizing is off on this shin piece. Will probably have to scale it down. But that's why this Rusulka exists lol! To use up the not great first tries.

But maybe scale will be right when i got the rest of the costume in. Who knows.

(Moomoo probably does)

1000002164.jpg
1000002165.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back