Sandbagger's Iron Man builds - Now in STEEL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks guys.

I've really been putting in the hard yards with the chest and back piece lately. Up until today it was one piece and impossible to get onto the tape-dummy or onto my own body. I've been dreading this bit.

So today I installed some heavy plastic buckles on the inside, fibreglassed them in position then cut the pieces apart right on the join of the buckles.

1. Male buckle installed on the back piece at rib-level

2. Female buckle installed on chest piece at rib-level

Ta5mk0L.jpg

8wYaT5M.jpg

3. Preparing for painting!
jXKRRNH.jpg

Here's a quick video I shot today on how to slush-cast. I hope it helps!

Last edited by a moderator:
Today I started on filling the hip pods with car-filler and finally started painting the chest and back.

1q3CznZ.jpg

1i7WryS.jpg

1. Another test-fit before final coats on the chest piece. Nothing is secured where it should be properly yet, hence the displaced shoulder bell.
2. Chest and back painted. Arc reactor fitted and powered up.
3. The top half of the suit so far. Lots to start fixing together now, padding out the inside and adding all the attachment points to lock it all together.

1OwMyJI.jpg

0YckYkY.jpg

WXs0Ctu.jpg

That's looking very nice.

Out of sheer curiosity - have you given any thoughts to how to seal up the edges of your armour, to prevent the contact points from rubbing/grinding on each other and ruining the paint job underneath? I'd have figured some rubber door edging might fit the bill.

That's looking very nice.

Out of sheer curiosity - have you given any thoughts to how to seal up the edges of your armour, to prevent the contact points from rubbing/grinding on each other and ruining the paint job underneath? I'd have figured some rubber door edging might fit the bill.

Yep, I have some rubber matting that is slightly thinner and a lot softer than the foam mats that most suits are made of. I will be lining the inside of all pieces of armour with it.

Wow... The build is looking great, and I'm going to be coming back to this thread just to keep seeing the attention to detail you have been putting in.

Masking off the bicep for painting.
zRDUrHw.jpg

Upper arm and bicep painted.
PDIOcUm.jpg

Articulating the elbow joint.
fqBGieC.jpg

l60W1Tf.jpg

Testing for fit and range of motion.
BBddSBe.jpg

A couple for fun.
fcDoSeJ.jpg

82GILmv.jpg

Oh man... this looks freaking awesome. Really excited to start my own build but I'm a little too busy at the moment! Your build is keeping my addiction at bay though so keep these pictures coming!!! :p

Yeah, watch me make the mistakes and spend lots of unnecessary money until I get it right.... save yourself a fortune! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back