Sandbagger's Iron Man builds - Now in STEEL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Right.. back to the refractory. I screwed in some self-tappers to give the insulation blanket something to hang on to. The lid is lined and the two have enough excess poking out that they form a spongy seal when the lid is closed, locking in all the heat.

Tonight I will paint on some sealer that sets hard on the inside of the blanket and place a nice flat fire-brick on the bottom to support the crucible.

iQmvx0l.jpg

ya0easx.jpg

Started sculpting the clay patterns over the little cardboard inners. It's an art, but hopefully I'm a fast learner. I'll let these two dry until morning, give them a sand and see how they look and if they have cracked at all.

c9dw3lb.jpg

CsuszIH.jpg

Testing the forge for the first time.

K7EWr9U.jpg

Warming up.

RhrXT67.jpg

Inside the furnace.

CVilaMv.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
What are you using as a crucible?

A dirty great lump of steel pipe with steel plate welded on the bottom and a couple of bolt heads welded to the side.

- - - Updated - - -

Finger armour patterns for sand-casting. These are still wet, but once dry I will sand them smooth then imprint them in the casting sand, ready to pour in the aluminium.

I've made the wall thickness and edge length a little generous, to give me room to refine the aluminium cast later with files and sanding.

eXEMqJS.jpg

Splitting migrane all morning so didn't get to try anything today until an hour ago and *&$@# !!! That's not going to work either! The clay over card inners all cracked and fell apart when dried. I can't press them into sand for casting as they disintegrate with the slightest pressure. I tried coating them in lacquer but that didn't work either.

I thought I would try cutting them out of foam for lost foam casting, but the blades I tried all just hack the foam to horribility. I really don't want to now have to make a hot-wire cutter.

More thinking outside the box including the time-consuming and tedious lost wax method. I have a couple more ideas to try. Posting up failures is just as important as posting up the successes.

K5TZH7L.jpg

7iyR3cU.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back