Scaling Fiasco

Status
Not open for further replies.

minsm001

Hello to the 405th,

So, my last two months I've been working long and hard at the ODST Dutch variant helm. I'd done all the reading, downloaded all the ref pics and copy-pasted all the tutorials to my hard drive. I'm near completion and just realized this thing is small enough to fit my seven year old! I'm going to assume that I'm simply not understanding the scaling tutorial. After realizing my size dilemma I went back and re-read everything about scaling, tested a few times on various helmets and armor components and got different results every time. Is anyone out there able to break down both scaling, and pepakura? Maybe my lack of knowledge about Pepakura Designer could be the culprit?

n/86=x

x*31.9=z

Where n=78, a number based on my height in inches.

What I'm not understanding is where this mystical 31.9 came from... No pep file I've opened has that as their scale, every single one has a unique scaling system and no two I've found are alike. Where am I supposed to plug in the sum of this equation? Am I looking for a scale, or am I supposed to be looking for a measurement in mm to plug in?

G-D, please don't let my high school math teacher be on this site... M

P.S. Happy Hannuka to all the Jewish Spartans, and Iron Men, and Gundam (am I forgetting any?) out there!!

I don't think that any of the ODST helmets out there needs re-scaling. As they were made for normal human heads, they should fit without scaling.

Also, try putting in 290mm or 285mm in the height box in the scaling window. That should give you a good scale.

S1l3nt V1p3r said:
I don't think that any of the ODST helmets out there needs re-scaling. As they were made for normal human heads, they should fit without scaling.

Also, try putting in 290mm or 285mm in the height box in the scaling window. That should give you a good scale.

Thanks V1p3r,

I tried the original scale provided and it was a bit shy; I'm slightly taller than the average person. My second attempt turned out to be the one for my daughter. I'll give the 290mm a try and see if that gets us any closer.

Would anyone happen to know how to measure this out? Can we just do the old tailor bit, measure out on a tape and just add a little for cushioning?

Last edited by a moderator:
SpartanM064 said:
Thanks V1p3r,

I tried the original scale provided and it was a bit shy; I'm slightly taller than the average person. My second attempt turned out to be the one for my daughter. I'll give the 290mm a try and see if that gets us any closer.

Would anyone happen to know how to measure this out? Can we just do the old tailor bit, measure out on a tape and just add a little for cushioning?

Give it a try. Best guess is that it'll fit you like a charm. :)

And yes, try to use the good old method of using a measuring tape for scaling. ;)

SpartanM064 said:
P.S. Happy Hannuka to all the Jewish Spartans, and Iron Men, and Gundam (am I forgetting any?) out there!!

THnk you man! You too! :)

The link at the bottom of my signature has a tutorial that should be perfact for your scaling troubles.

If you have any more questions, feel free to PM me with them. I will gladly help you out.

Cheers!

Another method that works for scaling is to measure the different parts of your body and set the length or height of the part to match. Naga and I have been working on both a Mark VI suite and a set of ODST armor. Here's Naga's Progress Thread. If you have questions shoot either Naga or I a PM and we'll hook you up with the reference set.

Xtreme and Kenna,

Guys, thank you so much for writing me back! Wow, you've both given me such good sources of information to rifle through.

Xtreme, I'll probably be living on your thread for the rest of the day and testing it all out on my pieces. It's absolutely perfect for me because I'm using flyingsquirrel's files as well. I promise to follow up once I've made a little headway.

Kenna, your friend, NAGA, has built some really amazing looking armor. I'm going to have his thread open on another window all together, and I'm going to read it through to the end. By the way, are you guys army?

Bevbor, I hope your first night of Hanukkah was a nice one and that each new one is better than the last.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what to test with? I was thinking of using the handplate because its only two pages to print, but I wonder if it would help me figure out that the measurements were right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back