Shin/knee Fitting Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

ponchato

Jr Member

The above picture is of my just finished shin/knee armor, looking up from the bottom (near the ankle).

I'm tall, skinny, and I have big feet.

I just pepped my first shin, scaled based on Xtreme TACTICS 101's guide (Thank you!). Once it's on, it fits really well. However, here's the problem. In the above image, as you can see, the bottom part tears whenever I put it on. Since paper can be bent and repaired, it's not a terribly big deal right now, but once it's coated in resin and fiberglass'd, it won't just bend.

Here's my idea: I've seen a few people with their chest plate cut in half, front to back. This allows them to put one half on, then clip the other half in, instead of trying to slide through. I want to (and will have to) do this with my shin pieces. My problem, though, is that I'm not entirely sure how to.

This is what I think will work:

1) Finish pepping both shins.

2) Resin both shins as usual.

3) Use a... saw, some type of saw, to cut the shins in half from front to back, as with the chest armor.

4) Glue in strong magnets on the edges.

5) Armor, good to go.

Now, questions.

1) Will it work?

2) What should I/can I cut it with?

3) Are the above steps how YOU would do it?

i would just cut off that piece now so u dont have to worry about ur solution not working but ive never done the chest but i would cut it in half now then resin it and what not

Harding29 said:
i would just cut off that piece now so u dont have to worry about ur solution not working but ive never done the chest but i would cut it in half now then resin it and what not

Sorry, what?

Last edited by a moderator:
I think what he meant to say was that you could get away with cutting away that bit.

You said your leg fits it well, just paper has to shift to fit your foot through? So just remove the problem, and shabam! That looks like it'll be hidden by your leg, as in, you wouldn't be able to see that detail anyway.

Now, if you do want to do the cut in half and magnets, that seems to be very easy to do. You're approaching it correctly, except I think people also complete the fiberglassing stage as well before they cut the piece. I'm going to have to cut my chest/back for my Arbiter, so I mean, if you've got time, I'll let you know what I do in detail. :)

As far as saws go, I'm going to be using a jig saw, sooo, that's what I would suggest. Dunno how well that'll fly.

Pep looks nice, by the way, so far as I can see. Keep it up!

Magnets are nice and all, but just go with straps, looks more rugged, as for the paper thing, dremel it round I guess? :unsure

Alright, thanks for the help.

I'd rather leave that panel that gets in the way and cut the whole thing in half like a chest plate. I want my armor to be as accurate as possible. Well, actually I just think it will look better without a missing piece.

Dremel, check.

I still need to get resin, fiberglass, and a painter's mask.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back