Skookum BR55 Heavy Barrel

MrJamin

RXO
405th Regiment Officer
Community Staff
Member DIN
S829
Time to start a new build thread. Hopefully I can use this to help keep motivation rolling on this project...

TurboCharizard modeled an amazing version of the Halo 3 BR55 back in September of 2021. This has always been one of my favorite weapons and I instantly started printing it. I also sourced all of the other necessary materials form McMaster-Carr / the local hardware store.
Model.png

Pieces.jpg
Mini Bed.jpg

I completed printing it on 10/1/21.

Printed.jpg

A few weeks later I worked with Fallen and was able to get some amazing lenses for this project printed.

Lenses.jpg

Sadly - this is where this project stalled... Until now. I've decided that I am going to pick this back up and get this one across the finish line.

Here is the current state of the project:
BR.jpg

My first task is obviously assembly. This however has lead me to the first slight snag. The two pieces of PVC are slightly too big to fit inside of the prints. I am working on getting them to fit with a combination of my hand drill and some sandpaper.

I've also been thinking into the future and need to come up with a paint scheme for this project. The default BR paint is just a little too plain for me. Anyone have suggestions?

Ok so long time no update. Progress has been slow and steady. The biggest pain was getting the PVC pipes to fit nicely inside all of the pieces. I finally got this done and have the pipes marked for the cuts to chase wires for the lights.

IMG_4544.jpeg

I’ve also been planning out the electronics and the final paint scheme.

Next step is to actually cut the PVC for the wires and then I’ll be ready for assembly.

The slow and steady progress on this project continues.

The PVC has been fully cut and is ready for the electronics that will be packed inside of this (8 LEDs). I made one additional cut not specified in the assembly guide to hopefully make the wiring runs easier.
(TurboCharizard really is a wizard with his designs and the planning for these electronics are amazing)

I've been playing around with some test circuits for this and have landed on using a 5v battery bank.
IMG_4555.jpg
IMG_4557.jpg

(I initially tried to make this work with 3v, but the White LEDS stopped too quickly for my tastes)

Last night I finally stared to get the main pieces glued up.
IMG_4566.jpg

It may not seem like much yet, but I've been trying to do a bunch of prep work to make the next steps go really smoothly.

The other exacting news is that I've settled on the paint scheme that I will be using for this. I am keeping it mostly secret, but can't wait to show folks when it is done. (Hint: it is a skin in MCC and I don't think I've ever seen a finished prop with this paint scheme)

More incremental progress on this project.

I finished the main assembly yesterday and I am currently working on putting together the optics. The optics will be kept separate to make finishing and paint much easier.

This is a huge rifle and I absolutely love it. (I checked and it is actually longer than my real deer hunting rifle)
1690213355154.png

It also looks like the final model came out slightly bigger than game scale.
1690213552345.png

Question for folks - Does anyone know what this logo is? (from the Grip)
1690213785947.png

Kindo just looks like a worn out button to me ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Any chance of a higher resolution capture? (short term play on a 4k PC even if it doesn't keep up for regular play?) I tried feeding that to google image search but nothing helpful. But a higher quality capture isolated from the pew-pew so its just the logo might get lucky.

Snag_f7d7568.png

I finished the main assembly yesterday and I am currently working on putting together the optics. The optics will be kept separate to make finishing and paint much easier.

This is a huge rifle and I absolutely love it. (I checked and it is actually longer than my real deer hunting rifle)
View attachment 333831

View attachment 333832

View attachment 333833
Way back when I went deep diving into the forums and consensus was it was either bad smudging of texture (which I agree with) and after consulting all 36 of the texture pixels for the emblem I squinted and agreed it kind of looks like a funny little reaper in a robe.
1690335712336.png

Any chance of a higher resolution capture? (short term play on a 4k PC even if it doesn't keep up for regular play?) I tried feeding that to google image search but nothing helpful. But a higher quality capture isolated from the pew-pew so its just the logo might get lucky.

View attachment 333854
What do you mean there was nothing helpful? Jamin should clearly use a Pingu sticker there.

Unfortunately, my only other initial thought was a fat moose sitting down, holding out a stick, ready to cook a marshmellow. Uhh... I may need more sleep.

Perhaps if you made a youtube video where you confidently explain what it is incorrectly, all the experts that were hidden until now will make themselves known to correct you!

foolproof strategy works every time XD

I realized that it has been a while since I made an update on this. I am slowly and steadily making progress on this project. I need to get it super smooth to be able do to the paint that I want so that is taking some time.

I also worked with Fallen to get some new lenses for the scope and holy cow they are amazing!

1693241404682.png

Sanding work continues. Still trying to get rid of a few pesky seam lines. I hope to get this taken care of enough this go around.
(This was fully printed on my MK3S and makes me appreciate being able to do much bigger prints on the XL)
IMG_4694.jpeg

I’ve also been working on some of the small pieces and have them ready for some primer
IMG_4695.jpeg

I am hoping to be done with primer and sanding by this weekend and then on to the fun parts.

More progress photos

I've completed the prep for all of the small parts.
IMG_4726.jpg

These just need a quick 400 grit wet sand and they will be ready for color!

The main item is coming along! (No the final color is not red - it is just the color of filler primer I was using)
IMG_4725.jpg

This needs just a little more work with one round of filler, primer, and wet sanding!

I am targeting getting the color down on this the week of October 1!

View attachment 333831

View attachment 333832

View attachment 333833
kind of looks like a ghost running away

I might need to try this file myself when I have a free printer, the prop looks great so far, Interested to see how you manage the wiring and batteries in the end!

This thread is more than 3 months old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back