Spartan Armor Foam

tmberry0102

Hello my name is Tim. I'm recently new to foam smithing and recently joined the community here. I'm starting with trying to make my reach Spartan the only thing I'm needing is a little help before I go all in. More or less what foam and how thick of foam should I make the different armor sections be. 2mm all the way to 10mm foam for a good reference of how thick I'm willing to go with it. I'm using SKS props foam which is a good high density foam which is sold in increments of 2mm. Also if anyone would know, what paint should I use for the reach style armor colors they use for a more accurate representation.
Anything would be helpful.

We have an excellent Foam Guide that might be helpful:

We have an excellent Foam Guide that might be helpful:

Thank you

First off, welcome to the forums! Secondly is somebody who is very familiar with that type of foam, the correct answer is all of the above!

I actually have all three sizes of foam when I'm making props and armor. Foam work can be a little tricky since you have to account for the dimensions of certain rises and falls in the armor.

10 mm is great for large flat bulky sections where you want something with a little extra rigidity to keep it from crumpling in on itself. Most of what I use is the medium thickness 5 mm foam. It's much easier to cut and when layered with the multiple parts of a piece of armor, it holds its shape very well!

2 mm is great for very small details.

I would recommend taking a look at a couple of the foam builds on the forums to see some of the details. I've also got a foam build that uses the same foam if you want a direct comparison.

This thread is more than 10 months old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back