Strankyman's Mkvi Helmet Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

Strankyman

Jr Member
Hey everyone!

This is my first ever helmet, so I'm quite nervous as to how it's going to turn out. The first problem I ran into was size. I forgot to scale. So now it's like I share my room with MC himself. Despite this I'm continuing with this helmet to test out the technique, while I pep another SCALED helmet :) .

As you can probably see I'm a noob, a noob who's Mum won't let him use fibreglass. Instead I've turned to the magic that is mod-roc (basically plaster of paris on a mesh, just add water) for the first couple of layers on my helmet:

DSC05739.jpg

DSC05740.jpg

DSC05741.jpg

DSC05742.jpg

So far I have added 1 layer of Mod-roc.

After I have added 2 layers of Mod-roc on the outside and 1 on the inside, I plan to add a layer of plaster-cine over the top to smooth everything off, followed by resin to harden and seal. Is plaster-cine the right material to use at this point? As bondo is also out of the equation (Mum's ayy? ¬¬)

Thank you for reading :D

Stranky

Thanks! :pA big part of the 'correctly-scaled' helmet I'm pepping atm will be the electronics :D got a few bits and pieces planned which I haven't seen done on the forums yet. But more of that when the helmet's pepped.

Stranky

Looks pretty good, especially for a first build.

May I suggest that you use one of mroreos smoothed pep files for your next pep. I am unable to link them at the moment but do a search for mroreos smooth pep and they'll come up. The danifoodforless HD helm has fewer parts than a regular unfold of a low def helm, and will take less work to finish.

Rosh said:
Looks pretty good, especially for a first build.

May I suggest that you use one of mroreos smoothed pep files for your next pep. I am unable to link them at the moment but do a search for mroreos smooth pep and they'll come up. The danifoodforless HD helm has fewer parts than a regular unfold of a low def helm, and will take less work to finish.

Thank you for the suggestion, I'll check out both those helmets. The one I am working on at the moment (and getting no where fast with) is DF4l's HD MkVi. I am considering leaving that and making FlyingSquirl's HD pep, although before I do anything I'll check out the two that you suggested, thank you very much :D

Demolition said:
looks good mate stick with it

Thank you :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Strankyman said:
I am considering leaving that and making FlyingSquirl's HD pep

I just finished pepping up FS's HD helmet the other day and am moving on to resin/fiberglass today or tomorrow. It was my first project too and really the file is very nicely put together and fairly easy to construct for how complex it is. I'm really happy with the result and would definitely recommend working off of that file for your helmet. I don't want to jack your thread but if you want some pictures of it pepped send a PM or something and you'll be able to see how the 3d file translates into a paper model.

Nice one, I'll send you a PM about pics. How high/wide did you make it? I messed this one up bad, its about 16 inches deep and 12 high :eek

Stranky

Rock said:
looks pretty good for your first project and using different materials.

Thank you, this Mod-roc works wonders, I've just finished touching up the first layer, and its solid! 2 more and it's gonna be able to take a beating. More pics up tomorrow :D

Stranky

I has updates :p

I've finished touching up the helmet with mod-roc, and pepped and moc-roc-ed a left forearm. This is all for scaling and process testing. I've printed and cut out another low def helmet, this time scaled down. I'll probably only pep this, just to make sure the size is right before going all out on FSs HD helmet.

Enjoy pics :D

DSC05743.jpg

DSC05744.jpg

DSC05744.jpg

DSC05744.jpg

DSC05747.jpg

Thanks guys!

Stranky

DSC05744.jpg

DSC05744.jpg

Your stuff looks pretty good, nice and symetrical. Considering the method you are using to harden, you should stick to the lower definition pep files, as it looks like alot of the detail will be lost when you apply the moc-rok anyway. There is alot of extra work involved in the HD pep files, and it would be a shame to do it in vain.

Just moc-roc a low def pep model, smooth it, then add all the details.

If you have the budget for it, I'm pretty sure casting resin is safe to use without a respirator, and JediStumpy posted a video on how he hardened his epic helm with Smoothcast 300. Here's The Link for the video.

Good luck with your suit.

JoeyCoz said:
Your stuff looks pretty good, nice and symetrical. Considering the method you are using to harden, you should stick to the lower definition pep files, as it looks like alot of the detail will be lost when you apply the moc-rok anyway. There is alot of extra work involved in the HD pep files, and it would be a shame to do it in vain.

Just moc-roc a low def pep model, smooth it, then add all the details.

If you have the budget for it, I'm pretty sure casting resin is safe to use without a respirator, and JediStumpy posted a video on how he hardened his epic helm with Smoothcast 300. Here's The Link for the video.

Good luck with your suit.

Thanks a lot for your advice, i've nearly won over my mum on the fibreglass/bondo front, so hopefully by the time i can afford it i'll have convinced her and pepped a hd helm. However i'm quietly confident with another layer of mod-roc, some plastercine, some aqua resin and a dremel, i can get this pretty smooth and detailed. Thanks again!

Stranky

Oh great. The scaled helmet I've pepped is too small ¬¬. curses on this scaling business. I'm going to try a LD helmet once more, hopefully it will be the right size this time, then I'm moving on to FSs HD helm :)

DSC05752.jpg

WAYYY too small ¬¬ I have a larger than average head o_O

Stranky

Right guys, updates...

First off, my second low def helmet turned out way too small for my head. I'm going to pep a HD FS mkvi now, at 28cm in height. This should be perfect for my head size. I'm printing it tomorrow and should be all pepped and mod-roc-ed by friday.

On another note i have just started work on a scratch built marine. At the moment i've started converting an old bicycle helmet into a H3 marine helmet. Pics on that tomorrow.

Stranky

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back