Thorssoli's MkVI Costume Buildup

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apologies for the lack of updates. Work continues, but today this was the only picture I got:
4751418370_818f169b2d_b.jpg

Look closely and you can tell what a good idea the respirator was:
4750776327_885da30298_b.jpg

Stay tuned, more to come.

LOL Good thing for Eyepro too

Can't wait to get some pieces in!! :D:D:D:D:D

I really like that digi paint.

I think it'd look better in blue, light blue, grey, and black.

But that's just me. :p

Hoorah!

I really like that digi paint.

I think it'd look better in blue, light blue, grey, and black.

But that's just me. :p

Hoorah!

Funny, I was thinking I'd make one kinda like that. Only I was planning on Navy blue, haze grey, deck grey and black...

My brother-in-law also asked me to make him one in MARPAT woodland digital. We'll see.

Funny, I was thinking I'd make one kinda like that. Only I was planning on Navy blue, haze grey, deck grey and black...

My brother-in-law also asked me to make him one in MARPAT woodland digital. We'll see.
Actually, I think those are the colors on my uniform. That haze grey looks blue to me, but I might just need a new hat and pants because mine are faded.
I'm assuming you've already got color references for that paint scheme?

I've been needing a kick in the motivator for a while and it just doesn't seem to be happening. Today was a slow day with not a heck of a lot of progress. I did manage to smooth out the inside of the chest mold:
4776653362_74ebe74f05_o.jpg

It probably doesn't look much different than it did in the previous picture. The main difference is that there are now no undercuts that will lock into the plug that I'm building tomorrow to hold the inside of the mold in place.

The last thing I did before calling it a day was to make a throwaway casting of the shoulder boxes and the pack piece:
4776019947_14ab60406e_o.jpg

The next step will be to pull these out of the mold, shape the insides to my liking with a grinder and some clay, then place them back into the mold so I can make the inner rubber piece just like I did with the chest mold.

In other news, I've been getting a lot of help from my ten-year-old niece. Yesterday she decided that she wanted to try on my gear:
4776656372_dbc1d311c5_o.jpg

Since my rig doesn't fit her, she's started building a helmet of her own. I'll start a thread on that once I've got a few more pictures to share.

Nice work Thorssoli. I've really enjoyed following this thread these past couple months.

What kind of silicone is that you're using for your molds?

Your ultimate accomplishment... corrupting them young. *Applauds*

Oh yes. That's the best thing you've done thus far; recruiting a new Spartan!

Your niece looks like one of those tiny but ridiculously buff dudes that I've seen wandering around my boat in that armor...

Mind status: Blown
In the brain...
"Brain command we have come across a thread full of just... total... WIN!!"
"Are you totally sure about this scouter?" Scout sends pick of armor, "HOLY BEJEEZUS WOAH!!! WOAH!!! WOAH!!!!!!!!!!"
"Command! COMMAND!!!! YOUR SCREAMING IS DESTROYING THE MIDE SECTION OF THE........." and the scout was never heard again...

(Forest Gump voice) And that is all I have to say about that.

Since my rig doesn't fit her, she's started building a helmet of her own. I'll start a thread on that once I've got a few more pictures to share.

Quite honestly, as huge an inspiration as this entire thread has been to me, this bit actually brought tears to my eyes. Seriously.

I just found this thread today and read all of it. Awesome! I'm especially looking forward to all of your helmet-rigging and electronics.

That looks AWESOME !!!!!

but where you guys get the Pelvis and the Legs peices in HD ???
I cant found that peices

If you'd like to read a more fluid narrative about the making of the chest mold (without my pauses between updates) you can read about it in my blog[/URL].
Picking up where I last updated, the next step was building a block of mothermold material to hold the inner rubber jacket in place. Here's what it looked like once it cured and I'd wrestled it back out:
4788433679_d52ec6ecff_o.jpg

Here's the rubber jacket mold without all of the rigid mothermold elements in place:
4789062300_603290ef85_o.jpg

Once everything was bolted back together all that was left to do was to pour some resin into the mold and make sure it works. Here's the first pull coming out of the mold:
4788433331_f6ff41abcc_o.jpg

Here's what the inside looked like:
4789061290_c709e3c66f_b.jpg

Here's my friend Matt (Griff) wearing the improved chest armor:
4788433137_359bdca78f_b.jpg

And finally, here's a picture of me testing it for strength:
4789060276_890e513197_o.jpg

EDIT: I forgot to mention that the chest piece took 110 fl.oz. of material to cast. So it looks like it'll take around two gallons of resin to make one set of torso armor including back, chest, shoulder boxes, and ab plate. The chest piece pictured above had microballoons mixed in to save on weight, so it came in just over 5.5 pounds. Not too shabby.

With the chest molds fully functional, the next step was to make a throwaway cast of the back and shoulder boxes and repeat all of the same steps. Here's the one-piece molds with the rotocast copies poured in:
4776019947_14ab60406e_o.jpg

Here's the back piece with clay molded in to fine-tune the inside:
4788431439_32c49d2044_o.jpg

And here's the back mold with silicone brushed in:
4789059894_bac67e3093_o.jpg

I still have to make a mold plug to keep the inside of the mold in place, but the process for the back and the shoulder boxes will be exactly the same as the chest piece, so it's hardly worth writing about. Suffice it to say that I should have pulls coming out of the back mold tomorrow and then the shoulder boxes on Wednesday.
Stay tuned...

Are you sure that cast isn't titanium? :p

Ha! Nope. That was just plain old urethane casting resin with microballoons mixed in to make it weigh a bit less. If I'd filled the mold with just resin and no fillers, it would've been stronger still. No reason for that though, all it would do is weigh (and cost) more. I'm also going to be making one or two pulls in flexfoam as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back