Thorssoli's MkVI Costume Buildup

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dude, Ive got to let you know that I have read this entire thread front to back, and whenever I feel lazy I "research armor and details" and I ALWAYS wind up here. Thanks for the CONSTANT inspiration and making me get back out to the man cave and put in some work !

I have to agree with above. Every time I start getting lazy I end up viewing this thread (and a few others) and it really kicks me back into motion. Incredible work!

Doesn't that blur your vision?

A bit, yes. The suit is also makes it hard to get in and out of cars and it's hot and sweaty after you walk around for a bit.

These are the things to put up with if you want to look the part.

A bit, yes. The suit is also makes it hard to get in and out of cars and it's hot and sweaty after you walk around for a bit.

These are the things to put up with if you want to look the part.

Yeah, I can live with hot and sweaty (in fact, I was thinking about a water cooling system for the larger pieces and a breathing mask to avoid fogging :p) and I don't even have a car (that's going to be fun, riding the train...). Bad vision is one of the few things I really don't want.

By the way... now that I've got your attention, it might be a good time to tell you how absolutely awesome your work is :)

Wow Thor, you're still at it?!!! Good to see you finally in a full suit!

The real glory is going to be when I get the Red and Blue teams fully outfitted.

Toward that end, progress continues:
5042624299_6720eb1280_b.jpg

5042624557_5cf1e6c2ed_o.jpg

The best part is: now that Haloween is right around the corner I've actually got help showing up at the workshop all the time. Hopefully it'll all come together this year.

Stay tuned...

You are doing some amazing work. Great handcraft to say the least. If I do that in my garage, I know for a fact that my wife will kill me.:)

EVA helmet= incoherent babbling about your infinite skills XD Great job the suit looks great!
by the way, has anyone told you that you look a lot like Gunnery Sargeant Eddie Buck?

sorry if you touched on this already, but what is your heigth?

According to Saturday's measurements, I'm 5'7" tall and 181lbs. I'm kinda doubtful about the weight though.

NEW BOOT PROTOTYPE UPDATE:

Yesterday I decided that my plain clay sculpts of the boots on top of my machine-carved soles were not going well. You can see them in the lower left corner of this pic:
5054981585_9358054249_o.jpg

Insteady I got back to work on my hodge podge frankenboots. They're made using a foam cast of the soles from my old failed molds, resin casts of the heel cup, a section of corrugated hose, and oil-based clay to hand sculpt the sections I couldn't cast. I managed to get into full tunnel vision mode, so I didn't realize I hadn't eaten anything all day (or night) until I stopped at about 3:00am. At that point, they looked like so:
5055600146_715802f95a_b.jpg

This morning I sprayed the "armored" parts with some rustoleum hammered effect paint to hide any fingerprints and minor flaws. Then I turned them over and misted the soles with a bit of nonskid truck bed coating to add a bit more texture there:
5055599700_703430d871_o.jpg

These boots are optimized to fit around a size 10 shoe. I'll be taking a cheap slip-on boot of some kind, inserting it into the mold, and then casting foam around it. So for smaller sizes they'll just have more foam. For larger sizes, I'll make a rigid foam cast once the mold is done and add a bit of length in the middle. Then I'll make another mold of the larger size. The proportions will be a bit different, but they'll still look the part.

I will begin molding these tomorrow. Stay tuned...

Man Every time I need some inspiration it never fails that your the one that inspires me the most.

Awesome Shawn, truly awesome! By the way my Chinese friend said he liked the engravings on the M6.

~James

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back