Thread removed for breech of rules that aren't listed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Misriah Forge

Hi all,

Looking for some clarification. Dropped a post regarding a build I've been working on for a couple years. It relates to an airsoft build of a H4 DMR. Post was up for about 24 hours and then got removed. The reason for it's removal copy pasted below (I didn't add the spelling errors):

"Your thread M395A Airsoft rifle build was deleted. Reason: The 405th does not allow for the discussion of making armor or equipment for use in Airsoft or any other protection gear. Please review the rules before posting in the futute"

Before posting I had a good hunt around for "the rules" on the subject, and after a solid 20 min hunt prior to posting, and a further hunt after having had the post taken down, I still can't find where it's mentioned that I broke "the rules".

At the bottom of the site I found both the "community guidelines" and "Terms and Rules". Both of these are general rules imposed by presumably the host site "Movie Prop Sites LLC". Neither of those have any mention of airsoft or anything relating to it.

So I had a look through the top posts in the forum section "405th Guidelines", neither the "405th Costuming Club Mentle" or the "405th Event FAQ" have any mention of airsoft in their entire text.

The only mention on the subject I've been able to find is a pinned thread in the "costumes and props" area, in a pinned post by the user "FANGS".

This thread seems to be focused on the protective equipment side of the discussion, i.e. using themed prop armour when skirmishing in an airsoft game. There is no mention of airsoft rifles whatsoever. An excerpt from the first post in this thread is below:

"You are more than welcome to share your build here, but any discussions with respect to that gear being used as protective gear or over top of protective gear for any purpose will not be allowed."

My build post wasn't a "how to" guide on getting where I have thus far with the project. It simply outlined the goals and challenges I faced so far with the build. No files regarding the design or construction were attached.

I've not been able to find any other reference or official "rules" on the subject and think the project was one worth sharing with the community.

Has anyone got a link to "the rules" as mentioned in the takedown notification? As after a fairly exhaustive search, I've not found any. Also worth noting, actually doing a search on the site for "the rules" doesn't produce any useful results.

Further to the above, while searching for "airsoft" on the site, I've found many build logs/threads relating to the creation of airsoft guns, several of which have the discussion relating to the protective gear as mentioned above, and most of them deeming that as the thread is about an airsoft gun and not protective equipment, it was allowed.

Upvote 0
Hello. I'd be happy to add clarification to my post about airsoft to specifically include no discussion about the creation of a functioning airsoft. I apologize for the confusion and appreciate your effort in trying to figure that out. I suggest next time reaching out to a Staff Member to ask questions about that sort of thing.

Upvote 0
Hi Fangs, thanks for getting back to me.

So to confirm, there are no official written “rules” on the subject other than your pinned post as referenced above?

If this is the case I’m still unsure as to why my post was removed. As instructed by the takedown post I’ve gone to great lengths to find any written rules classifying my thread as inappropriate (of which there are none), and your reply is that you’ll add the rule to your pinned post?

So I broke a rule that has yet to be written, and goes against previous examples of other threads where such discussion and sharing of projects has been allowed as it didn’t specifically go into personal protective equipment. As well as the section of your post welcoming discussion of builds so long as PPE doesn’t come into it in any form.

Are all these previous threads to be retroactively removed as well based on the newly established rule?

Apologies if I’m coming off as brazen, just struggling to get my head around the double standards of the decision to remove my project thread.

While on the hunt for any established guidance on the subject, I also couldn’t find (and that I would strongly recommend is added) any form of site disclaimer relating to personal injury surrounding advice from the site. Someone could just as easily injure themselves using, for example, a dremel tool as they could playing airsoft. Discussion of the use of power tools, knives, abrasive media, solvents etc. for the creation of prop armour is ubiquitous on the site as would be expected. As mentioned in the discussion as to why airsoft prop armour isn’t allowed, it seems the opinion of the admins of this forum, by allowing the discussion at all is condoning it. I don’t believe the community could be held accountable for advice given in either case, personal injury from the use of power tools or using their props as PPE, but a simple “personal injury disclaimer” would resolve both of these issues.

Food for thought.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Any more thoughts on this? The thread seems to have been left open and unresolved. More progress has been made with the item in question, which has now expanded out into a second project that could be beneficial on the cosplay side of things, not just in airsoft.

Upvote 0
@Misriah - our original removal stands. You are more than welcome to write up a new post that is about costuming and let me review it first. We can go from there about any changes that may be needed.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back