Took too long but here it is (Cardboard)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DirePanda

Well. Ever work on something for so long (even with long stretches of nothing) that you end up hating it? That's what happened with my first attempt at making a helmet out of cardboard. I have a few helmets I've made out of eva foam around my apartment but trying to find eva for low cost to make me feel comfortable about taking risks and actually learning something new is rather difficult. So I chose the cardboard route.
Using templates and tutorials on youtube from Ashen Warrior Props I attempted the fallout new vegas ncr veteran ranger helmet.
I think I ultimately made the bucket 5 times and the mask like 7 because I kept missing something or doing something out of order.
Basic AF paint job, have to replace a lot of paint and local walmart was practically picked clean in the crafts department.
Going to have to figure out how to get the cardboard to not dimple/warble when sealing with glue. Trying my best to not heavy-hand it but I didn't know if watering it down would help or make it worse.
Don't mind the mess I've been rearranging and sorting things.
So, most of the time I've spent making this helmet has been 5% actively working and 95% rage quitting. Also prepping and have a wedding and other life stuff going on weee!

Attachments

• signal-2022-10-16-220907_002.jpeg
    signal-2022-10-16-220907_002.jpeg
    464.1 KB · Views: 114
  • signal-2022-10-16-220907_003.jpeg
    signal-2022-10-16-220907_003.jpeg
    529 KB · Views: 106
  • signal-2022-10-16-220907_004.jpeg
    signal-2022-10-16-220907_004.jpeg
    550.5 KB · Views: 117
if you want to seal the cardboard first use clear coat spray very light passes at least two passes. then you can use the glue because it will not soak in so much at least that is what i do when making things in card board

if you want to seal the cardboard first use clear coat spray very light passes at least two passes. then you can use the glue because it will not soak in so much at least that is what i do when making things in card board
Sweet! Thanks for the info :D
I have never worked with cardboard much before so I had no idea about that trick. Currently, am working on a halo 3 build with pepakura. Hand plates are turning out okay-ish, well, one is. Can't work with resin/bondo so attempting different layers of diluted wood glue and wood filler to mixed results. Also trying to figure out the best way to cover the shop towels (blue kind) with one coat of glue enough that it will stick, but not too much that it will soak the paper. As of right now it is taking two full days -or one full day- per application of the shop towels just for one hand plate.
Going to dig through the bathroom cabinet and see if I can find a can of my wife's hairspray and see if that will have any affect as a buffer before glue.

Last edited:
that will help slow down the board getting soaked you may have to do 4 or 5 coats of hair spray being honest never thought about hair spray. shoot some pic as you go will want to see how this goes.

that will help slow down the board getting soaked you may have to do 4 or 5 coats of hair spray being honest never thought about hair spray. shoot some pic as you go will want to see how this goes.
I've actually started a progress build post :D
It's in the "new recruits" board. Currently only up to the first hardening test but I should (maybe probably) post some updated pics after I let the wood filler dry. Had to resort to shoving in some thick spots for the inner edges of the underside on one but I haven't done that to the other one.
In the meantime I'm working on a 3-piece version of the left boot to help with the busy work, at least when my brain can focus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back